Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Big problem Burke has at this stage is he's one of these head down and run at 100mph type of players. Countless times today he went like that when there were team mates either side and he just ran into defenders and lost the ball.

Might have worked in the championship but at this level he needs more intelligence when in possession. Part of the reason Leipzig let him go wasn't it as he wasn't responding enough tactically when in possession.

He needs a good 80 games under his belt. He’s not played much first team football in his career. He’d be better off on loan in the Championship or SPFL.

This is not a tout for a call up but do you not think the lad GMS just looks world class/unplayable etc sometimes. Obvs scored a hat trick yesterday but he looks like he just floats across the ground and has amazing technique. Makes me think this lad is another case of totally unfulfilled potential which is a real shame.

12 minutes ago, JECK said:

This is not a tout for a call up but do you not think the lad GMS just looks world class/unplayable etc sometimes. Obvs scored a hat trick yesterday but he looks like he just floats across the ground and has amazing technique. Makes me think this lad is another case of totally unfulfilled potential which is a real shame.

I agree to a certain extent, but he always showed glimpses of what he could do in the past. Problem is he rarely did it consistently and was a little lightweight for the top level imo. His showboating skills are certainly the best I have seen from a Scottish player and I remember him tearing rangers apart when at Dundee united (I think) getting several players booked in the process but as I said he just doesn't do it regularly enough to make it at the top. Shame as the guy is a talent on his day. Hopefully we see him improve his consistency and perform every week. Also the guy is from the same part of Scotland as me so i will give him a bit of leeway.

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He needs a good 80 games under his belt. He’s not played much first team football in his career. He’d be better off on loan in the Championship or SPFL.

I agree, would be best to for him to play every week even if it's at a lower level. He tends to be ineffective and was never seeing much of the ball today either. One positive though is he has unbelievable pace. His speed when running with the ball is insane and must be up there with the top speed merchants in the game. In terms of pace and power he seems to be a freak of nature.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Great shift at 16. Him and McDonald look real talents.

Odds on one/both of them being capped before they’re 18? 

Don’t think so to be honest, Levein had said to me a few months ago he was very excited about the youth team players but injuries to Djoum, Walker and a few others have forced his hand to bring them in a bit sooner than he would have liked. 

As much as Cochrane was excellent today he has looked too lightweight in other games especially the Rangers game at Murrayfield. 

Be interesting how they fare over the next three games with visits to McDiarmid and Pittodrie as well as the Edinburgh derby before the break. 

10 minutes ago, hannibal smith said:

Don’t think so to be honest, Levein had said to me a few months ago he was very excited about the youth team players but injuries to Djoum, Walker and a few others have forced his hand to bring them in a bit sooner than he would have liked. 

As much as Cochrane was excellent today he has looked too lightweight in other games especially the Rangers game at Murrayfield. 

Be interesting how they fare over the next three games with visits to McDiarmid and Pittodrie as well as the Edinburgh derby before the break. 

Young players will be lightweight & inconsistent so that’s normal.

Theyre only 16 so see how the season goes hopefully they get plenty of game time. 

6 hours ago, JECK said:

Och GMS is the most skilful player Scotland has produced since, well, who knows when?  I’m so disappointed he never made it as a Scotland regular.  That trick onto his chest at Killie when he was playing for Utd is still the greatest thing I’ve ever seen on a football pitch. 

11 hours ago, hannibal smith said:

They'll probably be 2 stone heavier at 18.

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

Och GMS is the most skilful player Scotland has produced since, well, who knows when?  I’m so disappointed he never made it as a Scotland regular.  That trick onto his chest at Killie when he was playing for Utd is still the greatest thing I’ve ever seen on a football pitch. 

I think he still has potential to break into the national team. Unlike a lot of players with outrageous ability, he also has pace.

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think he still has potential to break into the national team. Unlike a lot of players with outrageous ability, he also has pace.

I don’t think it’ll happen now sadly.  I don’t know why he didn’t get more caps when he was at the top of his game at Utd, but I fear that ship has sailed now.  Would like to be wrong, I love GMS. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

I don’t think it’ll happen now sadly.  I don’t know why he didn’t get more caps when he was at the top of his game at Utd, but I fear that ship has sailed now.  Would like to be wrong, I love GMS. 

He’s definitely better than Barry Bannan who somehow still gets capped!

I have a feeling he will get a few caps yet.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

No! He's nowhere near as good as Fraser who should be our LW in the next campaign. GMS has one good game. I doubt he will have another for a while now. I really don't rate him. 

Nice to see GMS being talked about on here.  He really has got potential.  Needs to do what he did on Saturday way more often though. We played with pace and tempo and it really suited him. I hadn't ever appreciated quite how quick he was until seeing him more regularly.

5 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Nice to see GMS being talked about on here.  He really has got potential.  Needs to do what he did on Saturday way more often though. We played with pace and tempo and it really suited him. I hadn't ever appreciated quite how quick he was until seeing him more regularly.

He's not good enough for international football. 

I think he’s probably a confidence player.  When he was the main man at United he was phenomenal more often than he wasn’t.  When he disappeared into Celtic’s vast squad he seemed to lose belief in himself and the skills just dried up.  Hopefully he can cement himself in the Aberdeen team and regain his mojo. 

11 hours ago, adamntg said:

That was indeed pretty special. The boy was clearly at the peak of his confidence to even try, let alone execute that.

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

I do.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, Dairbee said:

Snodgrass at Derby yesterday played like he has for Scotland the last  18 months. 

Craig Forsyth had him under control for 90 mins. 

Problem with Snodgrass is that he uses his brute strength before he uses his brain and goes in to too many challenges - most of which he wins but eventually he gets himself injured as some he should jockey rather than challenge. Since coming  back from injury he can still put himself about a bit but has generally lost the touch he ahd before when scorign regularly (his goal v Slovenia was more down to his energy). He has lost free-kick duties at Villa to Hourihane and tends to be subbed. Going to Villa v Sheff Utd on Saturday so will see how he (and Fleck) does.

40 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Problem with Snodgrass is that he uses his brute strength before he uses his brain and goes in to too many challenges - most of which he wins but eventually he gets himself injured as some he should jockey rather than challenge. Since coming  back from injury he can still put himself about a bit but has generally lost the touch he ahd before when scorign regularly (his goal v Slovenia was more down to his energy). He has lost free-kick duties at Villa to Hourihane and tends to be subbed. Going to Villa v Sheff Utd on Saturday so will see how he (and Fleck) does.

As much as I love Snoddy's constant effort and the fact he obviously loves playing for Scotland, I think he's noticeably in decline now as a player - the goal against Slovenia aside.

I probably wouldn't pick him any longer, especially as we have so many options in midfield to choose from.