Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

15 hours ago, girvanTA said:

Cairney, McDonald and Armstrong should be involved in our first eleven

Don't think McDonald is better than the current options in the first 11.

Cairney should certainly be ahead of likes of Snodgrass and James Morrison though.

He's on his way up in his career, those two are on their way down.

5 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Don't think McDonald is better than the current options in the first 11.

Cairney should certainly be ahead of likes of Snodgrass and James Morrison though.

He's on his way up in his career, those two are on their way down.

Perhaps not but he certainly isnt any worse than Fletcher and McArthur. If Brown retires then that opens up a space. We need a fresh looking side for the next campaign, not stuck with the same failed faces time and time again

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Another clean sheet for Archer

In about 3 years archer will be our first team keeper imo. Guys only 24 and could potentially play a higher level than English championship. What with our three main goalkeepers into their mid thirties then it would seem like he is the logical successor to them.

15 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

In about 3 years archer will be our first team keeper imo. Guys only 24 and could potentially play a higher level than English championship. What with our three main goalkeepers into their mid thirties then it would seem like he is the logical successor to them.

Can't see any reason to wait three years

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Can't see any reason to wait three years

Gordon's done well since he got the number 1 shirt back. As long as a player is playing well, I'm not sure it's wise to drop them for a player who is still a relatively unknown quantity, specially at international level.

Give Archer the gloves for the odd friendly, make him the number 2 maybe, with McGregor as 3rd. I wouldn't change it while we have a capable player performing well.

19 minutes ago, andyD said:

Gordon's done well since he got the number 1 shirt back. As long as a player is playing well, I'm not sure it's wise to drop them for a player who is still a relatively unknown quantity, specially at international level.

Give Archer the gloves for the odd friendly, make him the number 2 maybe, with McGregor as 3rd. I wouldn't change it while we have a capable player performing well.

Performing well!? He hasn’t even dived for our last 3 goals against & he’s been caught out not coming for crosses we’ve conceded from in key games.

19 hours ago, andyD said:

hes been at fault for a few and canny kick a ball to a player in the same team, his days are done

22 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He hasn’t even dived for our last 3 goals against

That's the weirdest requirement i've ever heard.

Most recent goal,  he was unsighted by a cluster of players on the edge of the 6 yard box. So no.. no dive. He moves towards it but it's too far wide of him to get to. He's not at fault for that goal in any way.

The goal before that.. a header from the edge of the 6 yard box that was perfectly placed just inside the far post. Well placed headers from the edge of the 6 yard box don't give the keeper time to react. No keeper's saving that tbh, it's an excellent header, shame his marker was nowhere around to put him off. In terms of whether he should have come for the cross. It's certainly not an easy one to come for, it's low, pacey and curling. Trying to judge it's flight and come for it would have been incredibly risky and I don't think there's many top end keeper who would have come for it.

The 3rd most recent goal.. which you have to go back thru three clean sheet to get to was Kane's equaliser for England. Again he's on the edge of the 6 yard box, you have no time to react to a well placed finish at that point. He's made a really good save from the freekick just before that, and has got across and is in a decent position for Kane's finish, it's just well placed and he has no chance with it. Should he have come for it? I'm not sure he can. From the standard TV angle it looks reasonably close to him, but if you go back and find the other angles, it's actually not. There's really no opportunity to come and take it given the pace, angle and curve of the cross.

I don't think responsibility for any of the three goals lies with Gordon.

Slovakia's 2nd is probably on McArthur, instead of picking up his man he runs into Mulgrew's man, then turns away with no idea where the ball is. By then it's too late, the balls been rolled back and we're done. Bannan could probably do more as well, should have tried to get closer, tho he's the other side and probably couldn't have done anything.
Slovakia's 1st was down to Fletcher conceding a silly freekick in a bad area and then letting his man get a run on him, resulting in the free header that he could put where he wanted.
England's equaliser is partly down to Armstrong not playing safe when we break and partly down to Mulgrew and Robertson who should have been picking up Kane as the back line steps up. Probably more on Robertson as Mulgrew was dealing with Dyer. The turnover from our break has left England with an overload at the back post, but Robertson tucks in on Kane, then squares up as the ball comes in and Kane runs away from him.

Also worth mentioning his great reaction save from Bezjak's ricochetted shot at 1-1 and diving across to palm away Verbic's curler that was going into the far corner at 2-2.

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

hes been at fault for a few and canny kick a ball to a player in the same team, his days are done

His kicking for Celtic hasn't been great. I can't think of much recently for Scotland that was bad tho? In fact it was his distribution that led to Robertson's goal in Lithuania (another game he did well in, especially with their two early opportunities at 0-0).

3 hours ago, GeeJay said:

McTominay starts in centre mid for Man Utd tonight v Benfica.

What is the script with him? At his age he should be playing for our or England's u21s or our full squad. He could play for us in this friendly and still change his mind if he wanted. Him not being involved in international football at all isn't doing him or anyone else any favours.