PRO12 becomes PRO14 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

PRO12 becomes PRO14

biffer

With the addition of two South African sides. League split into two conferences, 21 games in the season. Glasgow and Edinburgh will play each other 3 times. 

http://www.pro12rugby.com/2017/08/01/statement-expansion-guinness-pro14-championship/

One or two questions to be answered (that aren't already answered here http://www.pro12rugby.com/2017/08/01/guinness-pro14-championship-qa/) but I'm looking forward to this. All about money of course (the South Africans are bringing an extra €11million of TV revenue annually) but that's what has to be done nowadays.

I'm up for it and can't wait. I also think that if it works, we could end up with other saffer teams and pie off the Italians. Apparently, the Sharks were also interested. 

It will be better next season when the Cheetahs and the Kings become more competitive, as they won't be entering off the back of a super rugby season.

Also, it's a shame that Glasgow v cheetahs is in a 6N break, as those two going at it should prove a great spectacle. As it is, Glasgow will be resting a few.

It may seem a daft question, but can cheetahs and kings get to the knockouts? Is it only for European qualification that they are discarded?

Edited by Duncan Blackheart

1 hour ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

I'm up for it and can't wait. I also think that if it works, we could end up with other saffer teams and pie off the Italians. Apparently, the Sharks were also interested. 

It will be better next season when the Cheetahs and the Kings become more competitive, as they won't be entering off the back of a super rugby season.

Also, it's a shame that Glasgow v cheetahs is in a 6N break, as those two going at it should prove a great spectacle. As it is, Glasgow will be resting a few.

It may seem a daft question, but can cheetahs and kings get to the knockouts? Is it only for European qualification that they are discarded?

Where did you hear that the Cheetahs games was during the 6Ns?

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

All the best to Glasgow tonight 

I'm sure that the whole of Glasgow would be thrilled if today's two major trophies were to remain in the city.

Im far from a connoisseur of rugby but isn't Hastings a bit of a liability? Seems to give the ball away far more than he should and takes way too many risks, very few of which work out.  

Still in it though but Leinster will win by sheer brute force. 

59 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Im far from a connoisseur of rugby but isn't Hastings a bit of a liability? Seems to give the ball away far more than he should and takes way too many risks, very few of which work out.  

Hes a great back up player for Scotland IMO but not a starter if all fit.

What a final this is, Glasgow fighting for everything, three down with 2 mins to go 

14 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Leinster beat Glasgow 18-15

Had to listen to it on Radio Scotland, and to a man (even Tom English) thought Kearney was a red card.

Afterwards, they acknowledged Leinster managed the game better and were worthy winners. 

I love listening to Peter Wright on the co commentary, but Im sure they said last week he was hanging up his microphone. 

The Radio Scotland rugby coverage is street's ahead of the football overage. You can listen and learn loads from their analysis, whereas the football coverage is stale. 

2 hours ago, Dairbee said:

Had to listen to it on Radio Scotland, and to a man (even Tom English) thought Kearney was a red card.

Afterwards, they acknowledged Leinster managed the game better and were worthy winners. 

I love listening to Peter Wright on the co commentary, but Im sure they said last week he was hanging up his microphone. 

The Radio Scotland rugby coverage is street's ahead of the football overage. You can listen and learn loads from their analysis, whereas the football coverage is stale. 

To be fair it's not hard to beat radio scotlands football coverage. It's gone down hill so much lately, I've stopped listening go the podcasts in the morning and I used to to listen everyday. I'm bored of the drama after another club statement or refereeing problem.

In saying that I enjoy it when they do cover rugby, the analysis is brilliant. 

Season over now but roll on the WC warm up matches and the WC itself.

I recommend the Scottish rugby podcast if you haven't tried it.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:29 PM, Farcity said:

To be fair, that's very much what was said about Finn Russell at the same age.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

To be fair, that's very much what was said about Finn Russell at the same age.

I suppose so. I guess to beat the likes of Leinster you are going to have to pull off the unexpected as very few teams would be able to just steamroller their way through them. 

Makes for interesting viewing. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2019 at 2:31 PM, mccaughey85 said:

I don't know much about rugby, can anyone tell me why these two South Africa teams are not in the South African league set up, assuming they have one.

A few reasons, but a coming-together of two things mainly.

1 - PRO12 rugby (and arguably premiership rugby down south) have expansionist goals. They think there are viable markets out there to crack, such as Germany, Canada and the holy grail, USA. (Incidentally, rugby league have similar thoughts - see Toronto wolf pack). I think their end goal could be to end up with something like an NFL-style league, but as a rule, they are keen to get into new markets and increase revenue to help their member nations compete with the english and French.

2 - Super Rugby in the Southern Hemisphere doesn’t have much money and found they needed to cut their cloth so they had to drop some teams. As well as one Aussie team and the Japanese team, SA rugby (not rich but with large viewing numbers) cut 2 of their 6 full time pro teams - the Free State Cheetahs and the almost permanently insolvent Kings. Cheetahs are from the Afrikaner heartland and have a deep player pool, particularly now they have a shop window in Europe, but lost out due to being slightly poorer relations to the other teams in the larger population centres of Durban, Cape Town, Pretoria and Joburg. (Cheetahs will do well this year).

So the Pro 14 invited the Saffers to join to see how it goes. The clubs are in pretty much the same time zone and if it goes well, I would expect the other SA clubs to join up after the next Super Rugby contract expires - I know the Sharks, Stormers and Lions are interested. If they went, the Blou Bulls would join. The SA clubs make most of their gate and advertising money from the local derbies, and travel time/ costs are lower to the UK, so we could see a SA conference soon, (possibly doubling up as a Currie Cup log). As an aside, the Pro14 deal also meant that the 4 clubs that remained in super rugby could stay there - due to government pressure, SA rugby would probably have had to keep the Kings in Super Rugby and cut a different team loose, as the Government wanted a full time pro team in a more traditionally black area if SA rugby were to continue to receive funding/ support.

So I hope that makes sense. Thought I’d type out a bit of a long answer as I still can’t bring myself to read or comment on the Scotland thread!

TLDR - 2 South African clubs were unceremoniously dumped out of their league, so agreed to join the expansionist PRO12 when asked.