British Open - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

British Open

dan cake

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

First time in almost 40 odd years that i havent watched any of it 

Got rid of sky after the season ended and wont be getting it back unless they offer an NFL channel

Absolute disgrace by the R&A and BBC - who would rather pay for presenters than output

Viewing figures must be down

Only 20 posts since Wednesday speaks volumes

how the open wasn't one of the 'crown jewels ' is bizarre

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Not much is...

Crown Jewels:

- Olympic Games

- World Cup and European Championship finals

- English and Scottish FA Cup finals

- The Grand National and the Derby

- Wimbledon tennis finals

- Rugby Union’s World Cup final

- Rugby League’s Challenge Cup final

3 hours ago, Bino's said:

£15 million was what Sky bid to win the viewing rights

The overall wage and salary bill at the BBC for 2016/2017 was over £1 billion

Sadly the ringpieces at the R&A wont be changing anything soon but hopefully there will be a rethink when the viewing figures for the USPGA rise because of terrestrial coverage

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/the-open-2017-championship-bbc-golf-coverage-martin-slumbers-sky-deal-royal-ancient-r-a-a7850816.html

22 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Can't see anybody catching Speith now. Unless he has another melt doon?

Telt ye.:lol: He had a wee melt doon and still nobody caught him. 

I am always amazed, in golf, that you can be playing absolute crap for some unknown reason, then one good hole (sometimes just one good shot) just seems to switch your brain into a different gear. Speith's recovery at the 13th was just brilliant and inspirational. Well, it inspired him anyway.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Not much is...

Crown Jewels:

- Olympic Games

- World Cup and European Championship finals

- English and Scottish FA Cup finals

- The Grand National and the Derby

- Wimbledon tennis finals

- Rugby Union’s World Cup final

- Rugby League’s Challenge Cup final

You can remove the Grand National and I think the Derby from that list now.

I backed Rafa Cabrero Bello for both the Scottish Open (28s on the final day) and The Open (125s EW) so that's a nice little lift he's given me the last couple of Sundays.  I may have found my new Sergio!!

14 hours ago, biffer said:

It's pretty ridiculous that he can deliberately drop the ball between two trucks in order to get another free drop and a better position. 

I don't think it is. The trucks wouldn't normally be there and in normal circumstances and that is where he could have played from. It's not his fault the trucks were there. You need to know the rules well in order to use them to your advantage. The only issue I have, is the amount of time it took him to do it. I think players should be penalised a couple of shots for time wasting. It is something which is being considered for the new rules which come out in 2019.

Edited by Orraloon

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

£15 million was what Sky bid to win the viewing rights

The overall wage and salary bill at the BBC for 2016/2017 was over £1 billion

Sadly the ringpieces at the R&A wont be changing anything soon but hopefully there will be a rethink when the viewing figures for the USPGA rise because of terrestrial coverage

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/the-open-2017-championship-bbc-golf-coverage-martin-slumbers-sky-deal-royal-ancient-r-a-a7850816.html

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the news about the PGA.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think it is. The trucks wouldn't normally be there and in normal circumstances and that is where he could have played from. It's not his fault the trucks were there. You need to know the rules well in order to use them to your advantage. The only issue I have, is the amount of time it took him to do it. I think players should be penalised a couple of shots for time wasting. It is something which is being considered for the new rules which come out in 2019.

Speith is slow as f*ck but in this instance give the unusual situation with the trucks then I'd give him a little slack as I don't think the rules officials were 100% sure of what to do.

42 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

No they're still free to view, just on Channel 4 now.

I'd remove the Grand National and the Derby. Plus the rugby league Challenge Cup final.  Replace them with The Open and Ryder Cup.

Surely there's much more interest in those?

20 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

I'd remove the Grand National and the Derby. Plus the rugby league Challenge Cup final.  Replace them with The Open and Ryder Cup.

Surely there's much more interest in those?

The Grand National is one of the biggest watched sporting events on the planet

600 million or so last year

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The Grand National is one of the biggest watched sporting events on the planet

600 million or so last year

Same as The Open then.

I'll bet that more people in the UK want to watch the Open as opposed to the National.

The National is old hat and past it's sell by date. Most people I know used to make damn sure they watched it, but aren't arsed about it now.

14 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

I'll bet that more people in the UK want to watch the Open as opposed to the National.

The National is old hat and past it's sell by date. Most people I know used to make damn sure they watched it, but aren't arsed about it now.

The National lasts 5-6 minutes. The Open 4 days

A bet on how many folk in the UK watch the National compared to how many watch the final putt of the open (even before it was put onto Sky) ?

The Grand National breaks it's own prize money record each year which is far removed from being old hat or past it's sell by date

Edited by Ally Bongo

3 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Speith is slow as f*ck but in this instance give the unusual situation with the trucks then I'd give him a little slack as I don't think the rules officials were 100% sure of what to do.

Aye, but 20 minutes for one shot? That is just crazy. What was the point of running up and doon that sand dune so many times? Jock Wallace would have been proud of him. You get 5 minutes to find your ball. 5 minutes is more than enough to play it after you have found it. It's not up to the rules officials to tell him what to do. He should know the rules himself. Which he clearly did on this occasion.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, but 20 minutes for one shot? That is just crazy. What was the point of running up and doon that sand dune so many times? Jock Wallace would have been proud of him. You get 5 minutes to find your ball. 5 minutes is more than enough to play it after you have found it. It's not up to the rules officials to tell him what to do. He should know the rules himself. Which he clearly did on this occasion.

He was pushing the boundaries as Branden Grace did in the bunker a few weeks ago.

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Im not sure - I think the time taken was reasonable given the commotion, the lay of the land and to ensure that he played by the rules of the game. I think the rules allowed him the time under the circumstances and as such, nothing should really detract from what he achieved or how he went about it. He played within the rules and he used them to his benefit.

However, I do agree the rules need to be more explicit about slow play and in future, players should have a strict amount of time to assess their options and choose one based on that time restriction. In such a situation, Spieth would probably have been forced to return to the tee to hit another ball, possibly altering the outcome of the match. The game is supposed to be played in equity, and it is highly unlikely that a player not in the last group would have been afforded the same time and luxury that Speith enjoyed. While it didnt seem to overly affect Kuchar, other players might reasonably have asked tournament officials why his play was stalled unduly.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, Orraloon said:

I don't think he should have been able to deem it unplayable and take a penalty drop

he found the ball and you could see it, should have had to try and chop it out

as for eagle putt, incredible

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

I don't think he should have been able to deem it unplayable and take a penalty drop

he found the ball and you could see it, should have had to try and chop it out

as for eagle putt, incredible

A player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course except if it is in a water hazard.

On 24/07/2017 at 3:54 PM, Orraloon said:

Surely you can't have slow play, when the ball isn't in play. A small technicality I know, but very clever of him imo. 

13 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Surely you can't have slow play, when the ball isn't in play. A small technicality I know, but very clever of him imo. 

I don't know the technicalities of how they measure slow play. But in my book, if folk are fannying aboot on the tee for 5 minutes every hole, before playing their shots, then they will be getting telt to get a fukin move on. Their balls aren't in play until after they have teed off at each hole. 

The R&A and USPGA are currently on a mission to try to speed up the pace of play. Making an example of some of the top golfers, who are far too slow, would help to send the right message to club golfers, IMO.

This probably wouldn't be the right incident to use as an example but they need to start doing something about top guys being too slow.