Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland

bonny78

15 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Some of the ones last season were awful. 

Yes, because all keepers make mistakes. I thought we'd established that you just wren't paying attention to anyone but Gordon, so saw everything that didn't work for him and waved it as a reason to drop him. Failing to notice that McGregor was having a similar number of 'mares down at Hull.

Now you're praising McGregor for his defense meaning he had nothing to do.. while blaming Gordon for being hung out to dry by his defense. It's just silly.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Yes, because all keepers make mistakes. I thought we'd established that you just wren't paying attention to anyone but Gordon, so saw everything that didn't work for him and waved it as a reason to drop him. Failing to notice that McGregor was having a similar number of 'mares down at Hull.

Now you're praising McGregor for his defense meaning he had nothing to do.. while blaming Gordon for being hung out to dry by his defense. It's just silly.

Silly but for Gordon still being expected to play next month. 

2 hours ago, andyD said:

I'm getting to the point where I'm just assuming you're daft or trolling.

Most people came to that conclusion ages ago. 

Anyway your both wrong.  I'm just perceptive in a way that no one understands.   My ex mensa background you see. 

• 5 weeks later...

The word “coward” might be a bit strong, but for me he lacks bravery and has shown this in key moments for Scotland i.e against England at Hampden! 

His distribution is shocking at times, and I don’t believe he gives the defense much confidence. 

There aren’t many other options, but McGregor has started the season well enough to merit starting in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

The word “coward” might be a bit strong, but for me he lacks bravery and has shown this in key moments for Scotland i.e against England at Hampden! 

His distribution is shocking at times, and I don’t believe he gives the defense much confidence. 

There aren’t many other options, but McGregor has started the season well enough to merit starting in my opinion.

Agree with this. I would rather we had a younger option but we don't right now. McGregor despite his silly kicks and elbows has started very well and deserves to start on Monday. The fans and the players will be more confident with him between the sticks.

13 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Disagree with the word Coward 100%, i get what you mean and i agree with what you mean however i think the coward is very harsh and unfair 

I would put the word down to maybe bad decision making, poor application or something along those lines

McGregor, Gordon and Marshall are our top 3 by a country mile 

Ive said it for a while but i think were going to be in a terrible position GKing wise in 3 years there is nothing of true quality that i can see coming through 

Gordon wasn’t great last night. I would feel far more comfortable with McGregor in goal. Not that I think Gordon is s poor keeper but I feel McGregor is better and less likely to throw in a clanger.

The fact Gordon played the whole 90 minutes against Belgium suggests McLeish will play him on Monday night as well. Surely they’d have got 45 minutes each if McLeish was undecided?

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Gordon wasn’t great last night. I would feel far more comfortable with McGregor in goal. Not that I think Gordon is s poor keeper but I feel McGregor is better and less likely to throw in a clanger.

The fact Gordon played the whole 90 minutes against Belgium suggests McLeish will play him on Monday night as well. Surely they’d have got 45 minutes each if McLeish was undecided?

One game each?

45 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Possibly but last night was a friendly and Monday isn’t. 

Surely the Belgium game was the time for experimenting?

Maybe he wanted to see for himself if Gordon's confidence really had gone. I think he did see that.

One thing that McGregor does not lack, is confidence. Defenders need a confident goalie behind them, especially inexperienced defenders. Every time Gordon picks up the ball, every defender will be thinking "I hope tae fuk he doesn't think about rolling the ball out to me in that position". It's hard to believe that an experienced goalie would even think about doing that. It was crazy. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Maybe he wanted to see for himself if Gordon's confidence really had gone. I think he did see that.

One thing that McGregor does not lack, is confidence. Defenders need a confident goalie behind them, especially inexperienced defenders. Every time Gordon picks up the ball, every defender will be thinking "I hope tae fuk he doesn't think about rolling the ball out to me in that position". It's hard to believe that an experienced goalie would even think about doing that. It was crazy. 

Maybe. I hope so because McGregor should be starting against Albania. 

I get why McLeish wanted us to play from the back. That will probably be the idea for Monday and he wanted us to practice it. You don’t do that when we’ve just broken up an attack and dangerous players are still swarming all over us though. Schoolboy error. 

Don't think Gordon was responsible for the first at all tbh.

Clearly the instruction had been to play short, so we retain possession more, not hoof it up the pitch and leave Griff fighting a losing aerial battle against Kompany who is 6 inches taller than him.

McGinn was in space, had looked around and was signalling for the ball. Gordon can only trust that McGinn has a clue what to do with it. There were at least 3 good options for McGinn, he just didn't take any of them, had a poor touch and panicked. That's not Gordon's fault.

As for the rest, he had basically no chance with any of them. That includes Hazard's where he was slightly unsighted and it was coming like a rocket from only 10 yards out. There's really no chance to react there. The ball goes just over his head, which is the furthest you'd have to move your arms to get to it when starting in a good position, which Gordon was in. Some goals are just good. Fraser couldn't do much more, he was already twisting and chasing everyone, Hazard wasn't his man, Fraser was just doing his best to stop him anyway. McDonald might have done more as Hazard was his man and he let him go, then didn't help out Fraser. But it's just a good goal from a top class player. Not going to blame anyone for it.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Don't think Gordon was responsible for the first at all tbh.

Clearly the instruction had been to play short, so we retain possession more, not hoof it up the pitch and leave Griff fighting a losing aerial battle against Kompany who is 6 inches taller than him.

McGinn was in space, had looked around and was signalling for the ball. Gordon can only trust that McGinn has a clue what to do with it. There were at least 3 good options for McGinn, he just didn't take any of them, had a poor touch and panicked. That's not Gordon's fault.

As for the rest, he had basically no chance with any of them. That includes Hazard's where he was slightly unsighted and it was coming like a rocket from only 10 yards out. There's really no chance to react there. The ball goes just over his head, which is the furthest you'd have to move your arms to get to it when starting in a good position, which Gordon was in. Some goals are just good. Fraser couldn't do much more, he was already twisting and chasing everyone, Hazard wasn't his man, Fraser was just doing his best to stop him anyway. McDonald might have done more as Hazard was his man and he let him go, then didn't help out Fraser. But it's just a good goal from a top class player. Not going to blame anyone for it.

Spot on with that post, but sadly ppl want to put the boot in Gordon when he didn't do anything wrong. The Mcginn and Jack goals were ones that were really bad as they were basic errors that each player should have done better with. The goal straight after the interval was just lazy defending, to let hazard get a shot away that close when he should of been closed down quicker is the fault of the defence. I think personally I wouldn't play Mcginn and certainly wouldn't play jack or even have called him up to the squad but I suppose we are not blessed with a huge talent pool and may have to rely on these guys.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Spot on with that post, but sadly ppl want to put the boot in Gordon when he didn't do anything wrong. The Mcginn and Jack goals were ones that were really bad as they were basic errors that each player should have done better with. The goal straight after the interval was just lazy defending, to let hazard get a shot away that close when he should of been closed down quicker is the fault of the defence. I think personally I wouldn't play Mcginn and certainly wouldn't play jack or even have called him up to the squad but I suppose we are not blessed with a huge talent pool and may have to rely on these guys. 

McGinn's been playing well enough for Villa from what I've seen. Probably deserved a squad place, but I wouldn't start him tonight.

Part of me has some sympathy for Jack. It can be really hard coming into a game, and adapting to the pace of it. It's not quite the same, but I used to play hockey and I remember the first game i ever played against proper internationals. Took me a little while to get up to speed, and in the first 5 minutes they made me look like a chump because I just wasn't used to how they played. Jack was caught cold, he wasn't ready to be given so little time on the ball. He should have been. I had the excuse that it was my first rodeo, and this wasn't his. But I get why it happened.

Should probably also mention that Mulgrew's pass was suicidal as well.. But that was very out of character for him, his distribution from the back is usually a strong point. No real option but to play Mulgrew given the bizarre lack of defenders in the squad, and he should be back to his normal self tonight.

At the moment yes.

But I thought WGS made an interesting comment on Sky tonight when he said that as a manager you smell who is the keeper to choose.

Also thought Darren Fletcher was excellent as a summariser tonight. Intelligent, articulate, head screwed on right and shows up fuds like Alex Rae, Kris Boyd, Kris Commons et al for the charlatans that they are.