Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland

bonny78

7 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I see Angus Gunn, son of Bryan, is getting great reviews at present.

Shame the cunt is English. How did that happen? Twat.

Has he shot himself in the foot by not choosing Scotland ?

We may have to just bite the bullet.

Edited by fringo

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2017 at 9:46 PM, fringo said:

Has he shot himself in the foot by not choosing Scotland ?

We may have to just bite the bullet.

I'd thought about posting that myself.  Gunn has got stiff competition for England no 1 jersey, Butland and Pickford could have that one sown up between them for the next decade and Pope at Burnley has also looked very good though I think he's about 25. 

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'd thought about posting that myself.  Gunn has got stiff competition for England no 1 jersey, Butland and Pickford could have that one sown up between them for the next decade and Pope at Burnley has also looked very good though I think he's about 25. 

It was also my poor attempt at doing firearm puns. :(

He may have shot his bolt. 

:P

The under 21s keeper is still fulton isnt it? so.. you're saying lets thing about putting in hamilton's 2nd-3rd choice keeper asout international number 1? wow.

Let's genuinely look at the alternatives..

McGregor - Doing so so at Hull. Has shipped 44 goals in 26 games and is likely to be a League One keeper next season.
Marshall - Bench warming for the above.
Gilks - Decent for a League One keeper.
Archer - Is doing ok at Milwall without being outstanding. Looks alright in the air, but still young and learning.

After that, you have a bunch of very average looking keepers..
MacDonald, Bain, Fox, McLaughlin, Clark

There's really not a lot of competition for Gordon right now if you're being honest about it.

Tell you what bonny, why don't you switch it up for the month of January. How about watching all the Hull games and picking up on McGregor's errors there? It's easy to focus on a player and say "look at this bad thing they did, that other guy must be better" if you're not actually paying attention to the other guy. So watch McGregor and report back on what he's doing well or badly.

16 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Canny think of a time Mcgregor has let us down .

But you're complaining about Gordon's domestic form. So why not look at McGregor's as well.

e.g. this from just before xmas:
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-1-hull-city-0-mcgregor-gifts-derby-win-to-whites-1-8925359
A CALAMITOUS blunder by Allan McGregor allowed Leeds United to snatch all three points

Seems like if you're to hold one keeper to a certain standard, you should apply that standard to all of the keepers, not just tout an alternative without seeing how they're playing.

Edited by andyD

My real worry is the lack of real talent at the under 25 age bracket for this position. Gordon, McGregor and to less of an extent Marshall all have a shelf life rapidly running out. Ideally we'd have 2 or 3 players 28 and under that could come in. I was hopefully for Fulton but he cant even get a game for Hamilton and hasnt looked the strongest in under 21 games ive seen him in. 

Take Gordon, Megregor and Marshall out and im guessing we have 0 caps between the rest of the goalies under 30 years old

6 hours ago, andyD said:

But you're complaining about Gordon's domestic form. So why not look at McGregor's as well.

e.g. this from just before xmas:
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-1-hull-city-0-mcgregor-gifts-derby-win-to-whites-1-8925359
A CALAMITOUS blunder by Allan McGregor allowed Leeds United to snatch all three points

Seems like if you're to hold one keeper to a certain standard, you should apply that standard to all of the keepers, not just tout an alternative without seeing how they're playing.

Ur right.  I had been looking at gordon.  Disappointed that others are not doing so well.  Problem is worse than i thought.   Mcgregor still not let us down at international level though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2018 at 5:35 PM, bonny78 said:

Ur right.  I had been looking at gordon.  Disappointed that others are not doing so well.  Problem is worse than i thought.   Mcgregor still not let us down at international level though.

Apart from getting pished and then acting like a child on the bench you mean?

On 03/01/2018 at 5:35 PM, bonny78 said:

McGregor hardly played for us in the last 4 years. I want Gordon replaced sooner rather than later but at the moment he is still the best of our experienced keepers. But I would say he is the only one that should be near the squad.

Well done on that comment though I wish some others on the forum might admit that their opinions might be wrong based on how things are developing elsewhere.

Perhaps open to change rather than wrong is a better way of putting it;)

Edited by ceudmilefailte

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, calum83 said:

well somebody else will get a chance in the games in march so time to step up

Good point. Marshall and McGregor should not be starting the next 4 friendlies. Give a run out to the likes of Archer, McClaughlin, maybe Bain if he takes his chance at Celtic and any other young-ish keeper who starts looking half decent

• 6 months later...
On 8/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, bonny78 said:

Here we go again poops....  Made a bit of an arse in stoppage time again on Saturday v livi.  Mcgregor looked good though. 

Indeed, here we go again..

How exactly did McGregor look good? he had one save to make, and didn't make it.
I remember him tipping a cross away (that any decent keeper should have managed)  but other than that.. he was quiet, and just had to watch balls roll past his posts, which is what he did. I'm not saying that he had much change with the goal, but when the opposition have one shot on target and it goes in, it's hard to make a case for a goal keeper to have looked good.

As for Gordon.. I'm not sure what you want him to do in that situation, his defense has gone to sleep and he's closed down the loose ball, but when you're 1v1 as a striker, you're expected to score. That goal is 100% on the defenders for leaving a man utterly unmarked in the middle of the penalty area.

Again, you're just back to being so desperate for anyone but Gordon that you're ignoring reality.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:20 AM, andyD said:

Indeed, here we go again..

How exactly did McGregor look good? he had one save to make, and didn't make it.
I remember him tipping a cross away (that any decent keeper should have managed)  but other than that.. he was quiet, and just had to watch balls roll past his posts, which is what he did. I'm not saying that he had much change with the goal, but when the opposition have one shot on target and it goes in, it's hard to make a case for a goal keeper to have looked good.

As for Gordon.. I'm not sure what you want him to do in that situation, his defense has gone to sleep and he's closed down the loose ball, but when you're 1v1 as a striker, you're expected to score. That goal is 100% on the defenders for leaving a man utterly unmarked in the middle of the penalty area.

Again, you're just back to being so desperate for anyone but Gordon that you're ignoring reality.

Some of the ones last season were awful.