Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland

bonny78

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

The second goal in particular had a number of failings: 

- Armstrong not retaining possession
- Fraser not closing down Sterling quicker
- Mulgrew losing his man
- Teirney not tucking in and covering for Mulgrew
- Gordon not coming for the cross (although, as BR says, it's far from certain he'd have got it anyway). 

It's a bit daft to try and lay all the blame at Gordon's door IMO. 

Also should never have been so much time added on

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

He's first choice on the basis of his current form, though. Which is what I'm judging him on.

Current form has too many clean sheets or not much action due to playing for celtic.  Put him on loan to east stirling and watch him improve.

11 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Current form has too many clean sheets or not much action due to playing for celtic.  Put him on loan to east stirling and watch him improve.

So too many clean sheets negates him from being Scotland's number one?

Who would you have in goal then? Who passes your clean sheets test?

4 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

OK - I'll bite, and this is not aimed at you specifically Paulo, but to all who have contributed.

Leaving aside club stuff, please highlight Craig Gordon's 'clangers' for Scotland?

I love Craig Gordon who was well on his way to being our first world class player in god knows how long until he was injured in my opinion,  and when he came back I was so chuffed and he looked like he was going to find his old brilliant best. But something has gone now I feel. I don't have examples I can reel off to hand I'm afraid and I'm not going to trawl the internet to do so. All I can say is that it doesn't feel the same watching him. He used to have an aura about him without being corny. A lot of the occasions are Celtic games for sure, but they are numerous. I was in a state of panic every time the ball was crossed into the box in the England game and he fluffed it more often than not I recall. It didn't used to be that way.

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

I love Craig Gordon who was well on his way to being our first world class player in god knows how long until he was injured in my opinion,  and when he came back I was so chuffed and he looked like he was going to find his old brilliant best. But something has gone now I feel. I don't have examples I can reel off to hand I'm afraid and I'm not going to trawl the internet to do so. All I can say is that it doesn't feel the same watching him. He used to have an aura about him without being corny. A lot of the occasions are Celtic games for sure, but they are numerous. I was in a state of panic every time the ball was crossed into the box in the England game and he fluffed it more often than not I recall. It didn't used to be that way.

Correct. The whole point of this thread. The man used to be busy at hearts and Sunderland. Now he s not in many games cause celtic are steam rolling the spl and it doesnt matter if he ships 2 goals in a 4-2 going on 7-2 win.

12 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Y

I agree the first England goal was a disgrace. But that was fundamentally due to Keiran Tierney's idiotic hesitation on the pass back. No throw-in = no attempt on goal from them. If you want to cast blame then start at the root of the problem and not the culmination.

Keiran Tierney gifted them that shot on goal.

First goal was Scott Brown's fault.

8 hours ago, dan cake said:

Gordon made mistake after mistake against england (not just the goals)

i doubt he'll have as bad a game again but i dont think we can take that chance

the other two are more than capable

Agree with this.  It boils down to Craig not being busy in games which is the main difference between the craig from years ago and the one of today.

On 7/19/2017 at 6:35 PM, dan cake said:

Gordon made mistake after mistake against england (not just the goals)

i doubt he'll have as bad a game again but i dont think we can take that chance

the other two are more than capable

Dan Cake with his irrational dislike of anybody with a Hearts connection as usual. :yikes3:

On 22/07/2017 at 9:00 AM, bonny78 said:

Thata stupid.  For a while our best 4 players were the hearts 4.  Gordon pressley webster hartley.

I've nae idea why this Elmer follows me around the board making an erse of himself, best ignored

On 24/07/2017 at 0:26 PM, bonny78 said:

You dont think they were our best 4 players in 2005 ish??  

Gordon and Hartley, yes. Pressley and Webster, no. They were definitely 2 of Hearts' most important players, but Miller, McFadden, Ferguson and Fletcher were all more important to Scotland.

1 hour ago, Rude Gullit said:

Gordon and Hartley, yes. Pressley and Webster, no. They were definitely 2 of Hearts' most important players, but Miller, McFadden, Ferguson and Fletcher were all more important to Scotland.

Pressly and webster played together every week and that helped them take it to the Scottish team.  All 4 played together and this was a big help.   

Yes I agree.  His instinctive save with his foot near the end saved Celtic from the dreaded away goal in a match where Rosenborg could easily have won one or two nil as they missed at least two other clear-cut changes in a game otherwise dominated by Celtic.  

Thinking back to the England game I would say Gordon had a pretty poor match, and I say that as a goalie, or ex-goalie ( like alcoholics:  once one, always one).  Not only was he less than commanding at Their two goals, his distribution was dreadful throughout the match.

If we are not to go with Marshall or McGregor (a mistake I think), then I'm not sure if we have a good enough young keeper to blood.  Play whichever one of the Big Three is in best club form, I reckon.

9 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Pressly and webster played together every week and that helped them take it to the Scottish team.  All 4 played together and this was a big help.   

I agree they were good and benefitted from their club chemistry, but as to your original claim that Presley and Webster were two of Scotland's 4 most important players, I do not agree.