Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Need to not use celtic goal keeper craig gordon for scotland

bonny78

In the past i always thought craig was the man for the job but now hes past it for the simple reason that he is not busy enough at Celtic.   Easy easy shift week in week out for the kwunt..   If celtic lose a sloppy one awwkkk doesny matter...mehh... Won 4-1 or whatever.   He gets clean sheets cause some team like motherwell hardly attacked in a match.

We need a busy club adrenaline junkie keeper for scotland - not a pipe smoking rich 30 something who gets an easy ride with his club every match.

Craig Gordon is Scotland's number one by a country mile and for a reason, although McGregor and Marshall are highly able alternatives. That cannot be questioned.

Craig is also a major reason why we beat France twice in 2007. Can't remember any Scotland goalkeeping performances since then that come close, although happy to be proved wrong.

13 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Craig Gordon is Scotland's number one by a country mile and for a reason, although McGregor and Marshall are highly able alternatives. That cannot be questioned.

Craig is also a major reason why we beat France twice in 2007. Can't remember any Scotland goalkeeping performances since then that come close, although happy to be proved wrong.

2007 was a long time ago. The 1st England goal was a disgrace, I'd have saved it.

Y

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

2007 was a long time ago. The 1st England goal was a disgrace, I'd have saved it.

I agree the first England goal was a disgrace. But that was fundamentally due to Keiran Tierney's idiotic hesitation on the pass back. No throw-in = no attempt on goal from them. If you want to cast blame then start at the root of the problem and not the culmination.

Keiran Tierney gifted them that shot on goal.

The second goal was Stuart Armstrong's responsibility, pure and simple. Make the pass or boot the ball into the corner flag and we win that game.

No keeper on earth should come for a cross unless he is certain of making it, and there is no evidence that says Craig Gordon made a wrong decision not coming for Sterling's cross. The angle from the North Stand showed that he absolutely made the correct decision not coming for it.

What hasn't been acknowledged too much is that it was a damn good finish from Harry Kane. 

The jammy barsteward.

Edited by Barney Rubble

The second goal in particular had a number of failings: 

- Armstrong not retaining possession
- Fraser not closing down Sterling quicker
- Mulgrew losing his man
- Teirney not tucking in and covering for Mulgrew
- Gordon not coming for the cross (although, as BR says, it's far from certain he'd have got it anyway). 

It's a bit daft to try and lay all the blame at Gordon's door IMO. 

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

I stopped reading at 2007.

He was good 10 years ago, i'll give you that.

What cannot be denied is the list of clangers by Gordon is growing by an alarming rate ( if you include club)especially for someone who was nearly faultless. Possibly even more worrying is they seem to be in crucial matches. I remember him making a crazy decision against inter a few years back that cost an important goal, and have noticed it since then.Still my pick but wouldn't mind seeing some younger lads staking a serious claim.

3 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

What cannot be denied is the list of clangers by Gordon is growing by an alarming rate ( if you include club)especially for someone who was nearly faultless. Possibly even more worrying is they seem to be in crucial matches. I remember him making a crazy decision against inter a few years back that cost an important goal, and have noticed it since then.Still my pick but wouldn't mind seeing some younger lads staking a serious claim.

OK - I'll bite, and this is not aimed at you specifically Paulo, but to all who have contributed.

Leaving aside club stuff, please highlight Craig Gordon's 'clangers' for Scotland?