Josh Taylor - Page 7 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor

vanderark14

Fucks sake everything about tonight is wrong. 

I didn’t go as I couldn’t bring myself to support Taylor…..he’s continually proving he’s a horrible wee ned wank. 

I figured I’d still want him to win when the fight started..Scotland vs England and all that. I was wrong ..when JC chinned him early I went “YES”.  

After R4 I put a fiver on Caterall to win on points. Not a doubt in my mind by then that Taylor was going to lose.  By the end of R5 I was thinking he might even get stopped but I didn’t bet again.

The decision..ffs. One of the worst hometown decisions since..erm…Ricky Burns got an outrageous draw with Raymundo Beltran…also in Glasgow. 

I can’t be the only boxing fan who sometimes just wants boxing to fuck the fuck off. 

Taylor is a very lucky boy. Another night of boxing ends with the judges scorecards being the main topic of conversation. It's an embarrassment for the sport.

Taylor looked off from the start - weight cut possibly drained him too much - and Catterall executed his game-plan perfectly to build a handy lead on the cards. Yes it was untidy and scrappy at points but Catterall's footwork, distance control and timing was bang on all night. Coupled with the knockdown and the only logical scoring should have been a unanimous decision win for Catterall.

I don't know what else to say - there must be no officials coming through to judge these fights as the UK generally uses the same 10 or 12 judges/refs for these big nights and it is very common to see horrific scorecards. Something needs to be done but I have no answers.

I had catterall winning by 2 rounds however i do believe the ref should have docked him points from the 3rd round, holding on like hell, grappling, head locks ect,, add to that he punched Taylor when down which he could have been disqualified.. i watched the fight with American commentary today and it makes a big difference it has to be said, it was in no way the robbery everyone made out, it was close but i think catterell won by 1/2 points 

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I had catterall winning by 2 rounds however i do believe the ref should have docked him points from the 3rd round, holding on like hell, grappling, head locks ect,, add to that he punched Taylor when down which he could have been disqualified.. i watched the fight with American commentary today and it makes a big difference it has to be said, it was in no way the robbery everyone made out, it was close but i think catterell won by 1/2 points 

I always try to watch boxing with American commentary if it's an all British fight. 

Sky sports are appauling when they have a clear favourite. 

Really enjoyed the whole day and the main event (Hydro was packed to the rafters) I'm not sure if there will be a re-match, but I'm sure I heard Josh Taylors head trainer saying if there is a re-match, it will be at 147lbs rather than 140lbs.

Taylor being the naturally bigger man (and IMO having an off night on Saturday), I think he beats Catterall all day long, Catterall came across as a decent lad & had a fair squad of fans up from Manchester.

I support Josh Taylor when he fights but often cringe when I hear him speak. I get that most pro boxers need to have incredible self belief and can be gobby pre fight but he often comes across as a bit of tw4t. Jack Catterall on the other hand seems a more decent bloke with more class. I heard Catterall say yesterday that when he went over to hug Josh after the fight the first thing Josh said was 'I won the fight' rather than saying 'good fight' or 'well done'. 

Josh was pretty fortunate to beat Prograis which was a draw IMO. He probably got the decision because it was in the UK and the final of the super series where a draw wasn't an option. 

Anyway, if Josh goes to 147 good luck to him. I think that Catterall v Prograis would be a great fight at 140 for the undisputed but that's probably easier said that done. 

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

https://nyfights.com/worldwide/reflecting-on-taylor-vs-catterall/

Just some thoughts on how it all played out.

Good article Morrie

I disagree with Caterill saying he gave Taylor a lesson, he did win but it was closer than the media are making it out to be, particularly Sky Sports

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Good article Morrie

I disagree with Caterill saying he gave Taylor a lesson, he did win but it was closer than the media are making it out to be, particularly Sky Sports

Thanks mate. The month I return to boxing coverage I get hit with a controversial one on my first assignment. 

1 minute ago, glasgow jock said:

Great piece mate & agree 100%, 140lbs is finished for Josh Taylor.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Yeah looked like it was one journey to 140 too many for Taylor on Saturday. He's 31 and quite a big guy - 5'10 I believe - so making that weight must be a major strain. Hopefully we see the high intensity Taylor at welterweight.

I saw this on social media posted ny someone who knows josh,, the question has to be asked, would there have been the uproar had Catterall been American? of course there wouldnt, i think its shocking how taylor has been treated by the British media since he turned pre                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

"""So last night Pauline Greenan posted a reflection of her thoughts on the post copied below. As a close friend of the family she also shared the concerns she has regarding the wellbeing of Josh and his family following the disgusting comments and messages received.
Pauline’s post has been deleted by Facebook and she’s been given a 48 hour ban I’m assuming because it must have upset someone🤷‍♀️
Anyway here’s the post Pauline was sharing. I’m sure she’ll share her feeling when she get out of fb jail 🤬
Well well well
What a whirlwind few day's.
I'm not coming on here to tell you that you are right or wrong. Boxing is a subjective sport; so many elements come into judging a round within a fight.
What I see will be completely different to you and I am no expert. I watched the fight from my home. What I see is different to the ringside judges and massively different to fans who were in attendance. The judges are in the best position to make their decisions.
I refuse to get into a debate with regards to the decision of the three judges. I would suggest watching the fight back via ESPN and their commentary. Usually if there is a big fight we tend to tune into the stateside production mainly because the English commentary is never neutral.
I do feel it is necessary to share my utter disgust at the response from Josh's hand being raised and declared the winner.
So called Josh Taylor fans have done a complete 180 & are publicly and privately abusing him and his family. This same guy they were calling their hero up to 955pm on Saturday night. They have turned their back on their own. I actually think they've either been brainwashed by the ridiculously bias English commentary team and have jumped on the bandwagon or are simply just c7nts sitting at home with a sad existence who take great enjoyment in attacking someone (and loved ones) who has dedicated his life to his craft. I'd love to know what these people have achieved? What these sorry f7ckers have done? Nowt I'd imagine, hardest thing they will ever do is deciding when to wash their grubby underpants.
It is nothing short of repulsive.
What is it about the Scottish mentality?? The public and media love to build you up but it is like they are just waiting their time to tear you back down? It is sick, sick in the head.
Last week I was frustrated at Terry because he point blank refused to speak to any media. He hates the media and hates social media. Now I know why and I am relieved they never got to hear about Lochend Boxing Club and our deep connection to Josh. I don't want their poison around my good club name.
Josh has represented his country since he was 17yrs old. His behaviour has been exemplary. He is a proud Panner and Scotsman. His rise to greatness and stardom has come at a cost. Josh doesn't crave fame, he doesn't care about the limelight. His only concern is being the best at what he does and securing a future for his family.
There hasn't been another boxer like Josh since Ken Buchanan. To witness ex boxer's turn on him to me just paints a picture of very bitter and jealous men who couldn't lace his gloves. His achievements in this sport have never been properly recognised, to many of us what he has done matches the likes of Andy Murray and Sir Chris Hoy.
Josh is as honest as the day is long, he wears his heart on his sleeve and speaks from the heart. When Josh says he won that fight; who the f7ck are you to say he has no right saying this? And that he is being disrespectful? Were you the one inside the ropes? Was it you who contested the 12 rounds...was it f7cuk. Just like you the armchair lunatics he is entitled to his opinion.
What enrages me the most is these nasty twisted people cannot stand by their fellow countryman. The first crap performance and they have turned their backs. They couldn't wait to dig the knife in. They seem to of forgotten how he got to that point on Saturday night. Josh never ducked nobody, he doesn't have a padded record like the vast majority of British boxer's. He has never been given the credit by the boxing fraternity that he deserves and this is blatantly obvious when you see that Sky Boxing use Eubank Jnr as their poster boy. That in itself is utterly disrespectful.
One last thing...one small but major point.
WOULD THIS BE HAPPENING IF THE OPPONENT WASN'T ENGLISH? would the bloody English media and English boxing pundits of cared if Josh had boxed an American or Mexican? Would they of went crying to parliament when there is a f7cking war going on? Would they F7Ck.
The simple fact of the matter is they cannot stand the fact that a wee lad from Scotland has achieved something that one of their own never has and by the way never will
He is still the Undisputed Champion of the world and I am bloody well proud of him and proud to support him.
He has given so much back to the community for nothing...no fees ..nada. He is a real and honest champion as far as I am concerned.""

Got to say, I enjoyed this post HL. 

10 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:
I saw this on social media posted ny someone who knows josh,, the question has to be asked, would there have been the uproar had Catterall been American? of course there wouldnt, i think its shocking how taylor has been treated by the British media since he turned pre                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

"""So last night Pauline Greenan posted a reflection of her thoughts on the post copied below. As a close friend of the family she also shared the concerns she has regarding the wellbeing of Josh and his family following the disgusting comments and messages received.
Pauline’s post has been deleted by Facebook and she’s been given a 48 hour ban I’m assuming because it must have upset someone🤷‍♀️
Anyway here’s the post Pauline was sharing. I’m sure she’ll share her feeling when she get out of fb jail 🤬
Well well well
What a whirlwind few day's.
I'm not coming on here to tell you that you are right or wrong. Boxing is a subjective sport; so many elements come into judging a round within a fight.
What I see will be completely different to you and I am no expert. I watched the fight from my home. What I see is different to the ringside judges and massively different to fans who were in attendance. The judges are in the best position to make their decisions.
I refuse to get into a debate with regards to the decision of the three judges. I would suggest watching the fight back via ESPN and their commentary. Usually if there is a big fight we tend to tune into the stateside production mainly because the English commentary is never neutral.
I do feel it is necessary to share my utter disgust at the response from Josh's hand being raised and declared the winner.
So called Josh Taylor fans have done a complete 180 & are publicly and privately abusing him and his family. This same guy they were calling their hero up to 955pm on Saturday night. They have turned their back on their own. I actually think they've either been brainwashed by the ridiculously bias English commentary team and have jumped on the bandwagon or are simply just c7nts sitting at home with a sad existence who take great enjoyment in attacking someone (and loved ones) who has dedicated his life to his craft. I'd love to know what these people have achieved? What these sorry f7ckers have done? Nowt I'd imagine, hardest thing they will ever do is deciding when to wash their grubby underpants.
It is nothing short of repulsive.
What is it about the Scottish mentality?? The public and media love to build you up but it is like they are just waiting their time to tear you back down? It is sick, sick in the head.
Last week I was frustrated at Terry because he point blank refused to speak to any media. He hates the media and hates social media. Now I know why and I am relieved they never got to hear about Lochend Boxing Club and our deep connection to Josh. I don't want their poison around my good club name.
Josh has represented his country since he was 17yrs old. His behaviour has been exemplary. He is a proud Panner and Scotsman. His rise to greatness and stardom has come at a cost. Josh doesn't crave fame, he doesn't care about the limelight. His only concern is being the best at what he does and securing a future for his family.
There hasn't been another boxer like Josh since Ken Buchanan. To witness ex boxer's turn on him to me just paints a picture of very bitter and jealous men who couldn't lace his gloves. His achievements in this sport have never been properly recognised, to many of us what he has done matches the likes of Andy Murray and Sir Chris Hoy.
Josh is as honest as the day is long, he wears his heart on his sleeve and speaks from the heart. When Josh says he won that fight; who the f7ck are you to say he has no right saying this? And that he is being disrespectful? Were you the one inside the ropes? Was it you who contested the 12 rounds...was it f7cuk. Just like you the armchair lunatics he is entitled to his opinion.
What enrages me the most is these nasty twisted people cannot stand by their fellow countryman. The first crap performance and they have turned their backs. They couldn't wait to dig the knife in. They seem to of forgotten how he got to that point on Saturday night. Josh never ducked nobody, he doesn't have a padded record like the vast majority of British boxer's. He has never been given the credit by the boxing fraternity that he deserves and this is blatantly obvious when you see that Sky Boxing use Eubank Jnr as their poster boy. That in itself is utterly disrespectful.
One last thing...one small but major point.
WOULD THIS BE HAPPENING IF THE OPPONENT WASN'T ENGLISH? would the bloody English media and English boxing pundits of cared if Josh had boxed an American or Mexican? Would they of went crying to parliament when there is a f7cking war going on? Would they F7Ck.
The simple fact of the matter is they cannot stand the fact that a wee lad from Scotland has achieved something that one of their own never has and by the way never will
He is still the Undisputed Champion of the world and I am bloody well proud of him and proud to support him.
He has given so much back to the community for nothing...no fees ..nada. He is a real and honest champion as far as I am concerned.""

I've not seen the fight, two American journalists(I saw) and loads American fans thought he didn't win the fight either. So not sure how it can be explained from that angle.

Fans are fickle as fuck though , combat sport fans no exception.

Absolutely brutal to hear of the abuse aimed at Josh and his family. That element of social media is truly poisonous. Josh Taylor did nothing wrong - on the night he went into the ring and gave the best he had, my opinion was it wasn't good enough to have his hand raised but two of the three ringside judges saw it differently and that is the result that history will record. The rest of my thoughts are in the article I wrote several days after the dust had settled.

As for Sky - that is their broadcasting style - sensationalising everything. I don't think the Scotland/England thing really comes into it here. Taylor is promoted by Top Rank who have a broadcasting partnership with Sky in the UK. As far as I know Catterall is a promotional free agent, managed by MTK Global, the same as Taylor and many other fighters. It's better for Sky if they can create some kind of outrage around a fight as it keeps people tuned to their broadcast then hopefully to Sky Sports News for the post fight press conference and back to their website for even more.

It's better to watch without the commentary on to be honest. Phart if you do get a chance to catch a rerun of the fight let us know your thoughts on the scoring.

53 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Absolutely brutal to hear of the abuse aimed at Josh and his family. That element of social media is truly poisonous. Josh Taylor did nothing wrong - on the night he went into the ring and gave the best he had, my opinion was it wasn't good enough to have his hand raised but two of the three ringside judges saw it differently and that is the result that history will record. The rest of my thoughts are in the article I wrote several days after the dust had settled.

As for Sky - that is their broadcasting style - sensationalising everything. I don't think the Scotland/England thing really comes into it here. Taylor is promoted by Top Rank who have a broadcasting partnership with Sky in the UK. As far as I know Catterall is a promotional free agent, managed by MTK Global, the same as Taylor and many other fighters. It's better for Sky if they can create some kind of outrage around a fight as it keeps people tuned to their broadcast then hopefully to Sky Sports News for the post fight press conference and back to their website for even more.

It's better to watch without the commentary on to be honest. Phart if you do get a chance to catch a rerun of the fight let us know your thoughts on the scoring.

I'm not sure i'm qualified to judge a fight, but i will do if i get a chance!

8 hours ago, morrie21 said:

i personally think the out cry is OTT, having the issue raised the the houses of parliament is a joke, catterall was the better fighter on the night IMO, However the amount of holding ,grappling ect was a joke, he also hit Taylor when he was on the ground which not one commentator picked up on.. who you thinking his first fight at 147 will be? he surely wont step into the deep end right away?

19 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i personally think the out cry is OTT, having the issue raised the the houses of parliament is a joke, catterall was the better fighter on the night IMO, However the amount of holding ,grappling ect was a joke, he also hit Taylor when he was on the ground which not one commentator picked up on.. who you thinking his first fight at 147 will be? he surely wont step into the deep end right away?

I'm tempted to say straight in to the dangerous waters and Terence Crawford right off the bat mainly because Crawford can't get an opponent and Taylor and Crawford have the same promoter. If not that possibly Kell Brook if he is available. Who knows what the boxing gods/politics will come up with though.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

I'm tempted to say straight in to the dangerous waters and Terence Crawford right off the bat mainly because Crawford can't get an opponent and Taylor and Crawford have the same promoter. If not that possibly Kell Brook if he is available. Who knows what the boxing gods/politics will come up with though.

had the fight last week gone to plan and he blew catterall out the water he would be going straight into the crawford fight, i have no doubt about that. the catterall fight will possibly be a good thing for taylor in the long run, a kick up the arse he needs. He needs to steer clear of distractions, steer clear of the politics of covid ect. i am unsure who they will put him in with next, it will be interesting. I see Ramirez got off to a winning start after his defeat to Taylor. I am hearing a few folk saying taylor should ditch Ben? maybe a bit knee jerk reaction however the performance the other night is a worry 

Another suggestion is that Taylor is already on the down-slope. He was matched hard on the way up and all out wars with guys like Postol, Baranchuk, Prograis and to an extent Ramirez might mean that he left a small piece of himself in the ring after all of those fights and finding his top level may not be possible. Hopefully that isn't the case but we've seen it before in boxing.

As for the trainer - difficult to say but within some boxing circles Davison is known as "boxercise Ben" and the other night added weight to the argument of those refer to him in that way. He may well be more suited to getting a fighter in shape, strength&conditioning etc as opposed to devising a game-plan and being the main man responsible for tactical adjustments on fight night. Time will tell.

Agree with what you said about Taylor hopefully avoiding distractions/conflict on social media moving forward. That stuff can be mentally draining and can spill over into your physical well being.

6 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Another suggestion is that Taylor is already on the down-slope. He was matched hard on the way up and all out wars with guys like Postol, Baranchuk, Prograis and to an extent Ramirez might mean that he left a small piece of himself in the ring after all of those fights and finding his top level may not be possible. Hopefully that isn't the case but we've seen it before in boxing.

As for the trainer - difficult to say but within some boxing circles Davison is known as "boxercise Ben" and the other night added weight to the argument of those refer to him in that way. He may well be more suited to getting a fighter in shape, strength&conditioning etc as opposed to devising a game-plan and being the main man responsible for tactical adjustments on fight night. Time will tell.

Agree with what you said about Taylor hopefully avoiding distractions/conflict on social media moving forward. That stuff can be mentally draining and can spill over into your physical well being.

i hope that he hasn't burned himself out, we have been waiting so long for a world class fighter that it would be good to enjoy watching him for a while at the top of the tree. Its sad to say the catterall fight and the "controversy" around it may well have given him more exposure than he has to date, He will probably be a bigger draw after that fight, especially with the English casual fans who will want him to lose. Hes only 31 so i really hope he has another 4 years in hime

Was at the fight, absolutely nobody with us, or around us thought Taylor had won that fight. Wasn't even up for debate. 

He lost, decision was a shocker. Subjective or not, there is no way Taylor won that fight, never mind by the margin, 

I went against my better judgement, Taylor has come across terribly the past 2 years and his comments since the fight (especially last night on Twitter) will have done him no favours. That said,  nobody can be blamed for his poor performance other than him and his trainer. 

Not sure there will be the same clamour for his next fight.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:32 PM, morrie21 said:

Heard a somebody say in the queue for the bar before the fight that he had long covid. I think that's just folk putting two and two together though after he appeared gaunt at the weigh in. Very much doubt it's true (not that JT would ever admit it)

On 3/6/2022 at 12:32 PM, morrie21 said:

He'll never stop that, he's still at it just now.