Josh Taylor - Page 6 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor

vanderark14

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Barely a mention if this in the UK yet the media drool over the likes of Saunders and callum Smith.

Yip, ain't that the truth. Sad as this is one of the greatest achievements by a UK sportsperson in recent times and should be lauded as such. Taylor's career has been superbly managed from the start in the respect of matching him hard as he was moving up the ranks and this has brought him to where he is now in a boxing sense. Where he has lost out though is in becoming a household name among the wider public due to not being aligned to a huge promoter. In his early days he was with Cyclone who, as I said, matched him brilliantly and deserve lots of credit for his current success. They didn't have a broadcast deal with a dedicated sports provider though so Taylor missed out on the kind of exposure that can bring. Many of his fights were on Channel 5 which was good in a way as anyone could watch his bouts free but bad in the sense they offer no shoulder programming for the public to follow up and build a bond or connection to the fighter. After leaving Cyclone Taylor cleverly chose to sign with Top Rank based in America. I reckon he realised that this presented him with the best chance to win all the titles at his weight class as Jose Ramirez was with them and making fights in-house is always easier than trying to get it done across promotional bodies. Again from a boxing standpoint this has proven to be the correct decision as he is now the undisputed light welterweight champion. Where he has lost out with Top Rank is TV exposure over here. He is on a good platform in the USA on ESPN but Top Rank's current output to the UK market is all on the app FITE TV which is free to sign up to but each event has a PPV price attached. Last night was £12.99 to watch Taylor v Ramirez.  Hardcore boxing fans can find this and probably are happy to pay but you will never achieve crossover appeal to the general public or even curious fans of other sports.

Boxing fans and media fully understand the significance of what Taylor has achieved in his short pro career so far. Unfortunately due to the reasons outlined above I believe he will be one of those fighters who is not fully appreciated by the general public until his career is over.

54 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Yip, ain't that the truth. Sad as this is one of the greatest achievements by a UK sportsperson in recent times and should be lauded as such. Taylor's career has been superbly managed from the start in the respect of matching him hard as he was moving up the ranks and this has brought him to where he is now in a boxing sense. Where he has lost out though is in becoming a household name among the wider public due to not being aligned to a huge promoter. In his early days he was with Cyclone who, as I said, matched him brilliantly and deserve lots of credit for his current success. They didn't have a broadcast deal with a dedicated sports provider though so Taylor missed out on the kind of exposure that can bring. Many of his fights were on Channel 5 which was good in a way as anyone could watch his bouts free but bad in the sense they offer no shoulder programming for the public to follow up and build a bond or connection to the fighter. After leaving Cyclone Taylor cleverly chose to sign with Top Rank based in America. I reckon he realised that this presented him with the best chance to win all the titles at his weight class as Jose Ramirez was with them and making fights in-house is always easier than trying to get it done across promotional bodies. Again from a boxing standpoint this has proven to be the correct decision as he is now the undisputed light welterweight champion. Where he has lost out with Top Rank is TV exposure over here. He is on a good platform in the USA on ESPN but Top Rank's current output to the UK market is all on the app FITE TV which is free to sign up to but each event has a PPV price attached. Last night was £12.99 to watch Taylor v Ramirez.  Hardcore boxing fans can find this and probably are happy to pay but you will never achieve crossover appeal to the general public or even curious fans of other sports.

Boxing fans and media fully understand the significance of what Taylor has achieved in his short pro career so far. Unfortunately due to the reasons outlined above I believe he will be one of those fighters who is not fully appreciated by the general public until his career is over.

Great Post mate, nothing in it to disagree with. 

I went to the previous taylor fight against Prograis, it was one hell of a scrap. One of the best I've seen.

23 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Great Post mate, nothing in it to disagree with. 

I went to the previous taylor fight against Prograis, it was one hell of a scrap. One of the best I've seen.

Superb that you went to the Prograis fight, that was a classic. I was lucky to be ringside covering his fights against Vazquez, Campos and Postol and also attended Davies, Martin and Baranchyk bouts. Will be interesting to see who he faces moving forward.

2 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Superb that you went to the Prograis fight, that was a classic. I was lucky to be ringside covering his fights against Vazquez, Campos and Postol and also attended Davies, Martin and Baranchyk bouts. Will be interesting to see who he faces moving forward.

Crawford is now being mentioned at 147, that one he'll of a step up.

Never been ringside but been to quite a few fights over the last 6 years. Joshua Klitscko, Joshua v Povetkin, Golovkin v Brook, bellew v haye x 2, Taylor v prograis 

Edited by vanderark14

18 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Crawford is now being mentioned at 147, that one he'll of a step up.

Never been ringside but been to quite a few fights over the last 6 years. Joshua Klitscko, Joshua v Povetkin, Golovkin v Brook, bellew v haye x 2, Taylor v prograis 

Aye Crawford is the absolute elite of the elite and a mean fucker in the ring to boot. He hasn't exactly been kept busy though and the standard of his recent opponents is less than stellar - if they do fight next Taylor would definitely be more battle hardened having faced better recent opponents.

Decent list of fights you have been to there, Matchroom Boxing should give you a season ticket.

6 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Taylor's achievement at the weekend inspired me to spill some ink. It had been a while since I wrote anything so it was kind of my former editor at NY FIGHTS to agree to run this piece on the site. Enjoy if you want to read.

https://nyfights.com/worldwide/josh-tailor-makes-scotland-proud/

A great read morrie. Thanks for sharing 

• 3 months later...

Yes I put a much smaller insurance bet on the Draw at 19-1 as I feared if Usyk was ahead on points but it was close they would do a dodgy draw. 

I am on a  freakin roll, a two bet win streak. After being cheated out of my Trump winnings (still fucked off at that) I have clawed it all back and some. Lesson here is, betting on boxing is dodgy but it is nowhere near as dodgy as betting on US elections. 😀

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...