Josh Taylor - Page 5 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor

vanderark14

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07c6p2b

Some of the reported corner chat with "AJ" and his corner well before the third round is very interesting.

The fat mexican had a record of 33-1 or maybe 32-1 before this fight so he obviously can fight well.

Steve Bunce has always been a favourite of mine ever since i was sitting up late one night watching BBC boxing (no idea who was fighting again) and the guy got this huge cut on his eyebrow, went back to the studio and Buncey goes "you could have twins through that" and everyone just went silent.

• 2 months later...

Seems like they had simliar bother before so might just be a face value deal.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/1/30/18204608/ivan-baranchyk-drops-out-of-world-boxing-super-series

With the World Boxing Super Series tournaments seemingly still on hold, IBF junior welterweight titleholder Ivan Baranchyk has dropped out of the 140-pound tournament, one of three currently running.

ESPN reports that Baranchyk is leaving the tournament “due to frustrations over financial issues, a semifinal round that was supposed to take place between January and March and has still not been scheduled, and lack of communication from tournament organizers,” according to his manager David McWater.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Josh Taylor v Regis Prograis WBSS final confirmed for 26/10/19 at O2 London.

Heard this news last night. Happy the fight is going ahead but it looks like WBSS is over after this year. Putting this final on a Matchroom boxing card (Sky PPV) indicates they wouldn't have been able to meet the financial commitments going it alone. It's a damn shame as I loved the format. It was the one shining light for me in a sea of corruption and bullshit in pro boxing. After this I probably won't be paying much, if any, attention to the sport.

5 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Heard this news last night. Happy the fight is going ahead but it looks like WBSS is over after this year. Putting this final on a Matchroom boxing card (Sky PPV) indicates they wouldn't have been able to meet the financial commitments going it alone. It's a damn shame as I loved the format. It was the one shining light for me in a sea of corruption and bullshit in pro boxing. After this I probably won't be paying much, if any, attention to the sport.

It's really hard to disagree with you. This year should have been massive in boxing, if Ruiz hadn't beaten joshua it wouldn't have been a terrible year with all the big fighters avoiding each other, especially at heavyweight. 

Sky sports seemed  desperate to give campbell credit for last night, for what exactly? Being a human punch bag for 12 rounds and getting paid for it?

14 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's really hard to disagree with you. This year should have been massive in boxing, if Ruiz hadn't beaten joshua it wouldn't have been a terrible year with all the big fighters avoiding each other, especially at heavyweight. 

Sky sports seemed  desperate to give campbell credit for last night, for what exactly? Being a human punch bag for 12 rounds and getting paid for it?

Didn't see the fight on Sat mate. As I said drifting further and further away from boxing. Doesn't surprise me the Sky commentary was horse shit though. They stopped being commentators a long time ago. Now just a cheering section for the Matchroom fighters. Junk.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:20 AM, morrie21 said:

Didn't see the fight on Sat mate. As I said drifting further and further away from boxing. Doesn't surprise me the Sky commentary was horse shit though. They stopped being commentators a long time ago. Now just a cheering section for the Matchroom fighters. Junk.

I am similar, I'm not as interested as I used to be, i thought hearn was a good promoter to start with, he brought big fights to the UK and I though we were heading for the UK becoming the the place to box but hes all about WWE style hype nowadays.

I've bought tickets for Taylor's fight because I've never had the chance to go watch his fight and I like the WBSS format. There's a decent undercard too

• 1 month later...

Great win for Taylor last night to complete the job of lifting the Muhammad Ali Trophy. He beat a tremendous fighter in Prograis and is entitled to feel very proud of his achievement. Going by my Twitter feed he is really starting to get some recognition and respect from the fans over in America too - most of them picked Prograis pre-fight although some ultra sharp boxing minds from over there were on Taylor.

Absolutely epic win last night by Taylor. Showed a huge heart as well as technical brilliance to drag himself back into the fight. Prograis was slick and tricky in  the first half, but Taylor refused to be second best and turned on the gas in the sixth round. A great fight. Brilliant performance by Taylor. Just brilliant.

• 1 month later...

Dunno what the odds are but Joshua came in a stone lighter than last time while Ruiz came in 15lb heavier than last time, just using trends in heavyweight boxing Joshua is the favourite on that info in insolation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
50 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Khongsong had nae intentions of fighting that fight , I think Taylor will fight again before the years out then him vs Ramirez next summer 

Agreed - a truly bizarre end along with the histrionics afterwards. Maybe he thought he'd try and make out he'd been hit by a low blow. Who knows? Embarrassing though.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed - a truly bizarre end along with the histrionics afterwards. Maybe he thought he'd try and make out he'd been hit by a low blow. Who knows? Embarrassing though.

Him trying to slide out under the ropes at the end  was more than entertaining than anything he produced in the ring 

• 7 months later...

Josh Taylor made incredible history last night. This puts its into perspective. 

The 30-year-old joins Oleksandr Usyk, Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor and Terence Crawford in securing a clean sweep of four belts, after only his 18th professional fight.

Marvellous achievement by Josh Taylor. Undisputed after only 18 fights as well as having already won the Muhammad Ali Trophy and Ring Magazine title too. Some potential monster fights for him against Teofimo Lopez or Terence Crawford in the not too distant future. 

Epic night for Josh Taylor and Scottish boxing in handing Ramirez his first defeat. He may have finished it in the 7th but for the referee allowing Ramirez more time to recover from the knockdown. His two knockdowns sealed the win in what was a high quality fight. A unified World Champion (only the fifth ever) now is Taylor. It would seem a move up in weight division to bigger fights against box office names seem certain.

Taylor is now amongst the very best in the world and certainly one of the greatest Scottish boxers of all-time.