Josh Taylor - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor

vanderark14

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, morrie21 said:

Good write up Morrie.

I thought wee Ryan was boxing well again Donaire.  Nonito was looking v big in comparison and put him on the back foot when he opened up but Burnett has lighting hands and caught him with some great counters.

Josh was different class. Martin will have been pishing pink all week after the battering his body took. I said to my pal after R6 that it'd be over soon.  The high guard was dropping fast to protect his battered body and it was only a matter of time before Josh would have been able to go head hunting.

Pretty sickened by the ending though. Punch behind the head was pretty clear. Even if it wasn't the guy was on his feet quickly and looked ok to continue. He should have been given time to recover from the illegal punch and fight on. At worst a standing count.

I used to love Victor Loughlin. He was like an oasis in the desert of UK refs/judges. Think I went about 2 years without agreeing with a single Ian John Lewis scorecard but I always seemed to agree with Victor.  

In the past year or so though he's produced a fair few poor refereeing decisions and dodgy scorecards.

1 hour ago, Micky said:

Good write up Morrie.

I thought wee Ryan was boxing well again Donaire.  Nonito was looking v big in comparison and put him on the back foot when he opened up but Burnett has lighting hands and caught him with some great counters.

Josh was different class. Martin will have been pishing pink all week after the battering his body took. I said to my pal after R6 that it'd be over soon.  The high guard was dropping fast to protect his battered body and it was only a matter of time before Josh would have been able to go head hunting.

Pretty sickened by the ending though. Punch behind the head was pretty clear. Even if it wasn't the guy was on his feet quickly and looked ok to continue. He should have been given time to recover from the illegal punch and fight on. At worst a standing count.

I used to love Victor Loughlin. He was like an oasis in the desert of UK refs/judges. Think I went about 2 years without agreeing with a single Ian John Lewis scorecard but I always seemed to agree with Victor.  

In the past year or so though he's produced a fair few poor refereeing decisions and dodgy scorecards.

Thanks for reading the article Micky. Were you at the fights? I didn't mention the punch on the back of the head because I hadn't noticed it from my vantage point. I was seeing the Donaire fight differently but the different viewpoint is welcome. Cheers.

26 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Thanks for reading the article Micky. Were you at the fights? I didn't mention the punch on the back of the head because I hadn't noticed it from my vantage point. I was seeing the Donaire fight differently but the different viewpoint is welcome. Cheers.

Aye - I realise the punch might not have been obvious to anyone in the arena. I was in the cheap seats for the Postol fight and while you 'think' you have a good view it's amazing the amount of detail you miss from that distance. On Saturday I was on my couch watching on the WBSS website. Very good stream. Couldn't make it to the hydro.

If the Barancyk fight is in Edi/Gla I'll almost certainly go. Should certainly be more competitive than Saturday but difficult to see who beats Josh at 140. Punch picking is getting better and better, fast hands, vicious to the body.

A new hero in the making......but he's not exactly getting the marketing his displays deserve. He must look with envy at the support the top Irish boys get.

Re the 'empty seats' at The Hydro for the Taylor Fight last week..

I used to go to lot of Boxing Shows - 'small hall', Big shows the lot - Started going during time of Clinton, Weir et al and through Harrison to Burns- Had great times- The best night of my life, as a sports fan, bar none, above anygame of football, was watching fellow Coatbridge boy Ricky Burns beat Martinez at Kelvin hall to win his 1st world title..

Now, however, I am strictly an armchair fan only - still love the game, but wouldn't set foot in a show - The reason? Too many boozed up, or coked up, wee neds looking for a fight going now -- Just about every card you see now has reports of 'crowd disorder'.. it's really sad, I'd love, for instance, totake my wee nephew to experience a live show, butnot nowadays - From reading the boxing pages, lot of peoplefeeling the same now

3 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

Re the 'empty seats' at The Hydro for the Taylor Fight last week..

I used to go to lot of Boxing Shows - 'small hall', Big shows the lot - Started going during time of Clinton, Weir et al and through Harrison to Burns- Had great times- The best night of my life, as a sports fan, bar none, above anygame of football, was watching fellow Coatbridge boy Ricky Burns beat Martinez at Kelvin hall to win his 1st world title..

Now, however, I am strictly an armchair fan only - still love the game, but wouldn't set foot in a show - The reason? Too many boozed up, or coked up, wee neds looking for a fight going now -- Just about every card you see now has reports of 'crowd disorder'.. it's really sad, I'd love, for instance, totake my wee nephew to experience a live show, butnot nowadays - From reading the boxing pages, lot of peoplefeeling the same now

I know what you mean Robbo. Certainly a fair number of bams at most shows.  The worst one I attended was when Ricky fought Mitchell at the SEC. There were way more fights in the stands than in the ring.

My mate fought MMA for a while and I went a fair number of MMA shows round Scotland supporting him. What struck me was there was hardly a crossed word between rival fans and not a hint of bother at the shows I was at - despite the drink flowing freely. I wondered why there was such a difference in crowd behaviour. 

I suspect it's because a good percentage of the crowd at small hall MMA bills are competitors themselves - and everyone knows this - so there's plenty of respect/fear. Boxing is still the 'bigger' sport with the wider appeal to non competitors and more p*ssed up neds attend. 

Of course I could be talking sh*te. MMA might be rife with crowd trouble and I've just got lucky so far. 

5 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'd say that a 6,000 crowd for a non-title fight, that wasn't particularly well publicised, is pretty good going. The likes of Burns and Harrison, struggled to hit that figure when they were defending world titles.

Sometimes they did..but, as always, depended on opponent.. Burns v Mitchell or Harrison v McCullough, for instance had no trouble packing them in, as they say..

When, not if, Taylor gets his shot at a 'Name' he'll sell out Hydro no problem for a 'big fight'..

I'm nothing more than a fan, so my opinion counts for nothing, but as an avid reader of boxing forums, and subscriber to 'Boxing News' have been impressed by the amount of people who really do know what they are talking about saying Taylor really is 'something special' 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Sorry to divert this thread but..... anyone interested in this Bellew v Usyk fight?

I think the gap toothed Ukrainian guy will win handsomely.

Couldn't disagree there... I like Bellew, hope he has long and happy retirement, and hope he wins..

But as Burns v Cardle showed, Boxing is about levels and usyk is simply too many levels above.. Usykby stoppage around 6 Rd for me

9 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

Couldn't disagree there... I like Bellew, hope he has long and happy retirement, and hope he wins..

But as Burns v Cardle showed, Boxing is about levels and usyk is simply too many levels above.. Usykby stoppage around 6 Rd for me

Both very likeable fighters. Really interesting fight.

I didn’t expect the fight to be competitive so didn’t stump up the cash for PPV. Listened on Radio 5 instead. 

Pretty much as I expected..a fast start from Bellew but broken down by far superior boxer. 

Ive changed my opinion of Bellew many times over the years. He seems to go from salt if the earth Mr Nice Guy to a loudmouth bawsack regularly. 

Hope he jacks it now. His interview on radio after was cringeworthy. Seemed concussed as he repeated the same lines over and over. Kept thinking he should be talking to a doctor not doing an interview. Was totally magnanimous in defeat though...raving about Usyk. In fact he was raving about him so much I’m not entirely convinced he doesn’t want to ride him.

6 hours ago, Micky said:

I didn’t expect the fight to be competitive so didn’t stump up the cash for PPV. Listened on Radio 5 instead. 

Pretty much as I expected..a fast start from Bellew but broken down by far superior boxer. 

Ive changed my opinion of Bellew many times over the years. He seems to go from salt if the earth Mr Nice Guy to a loudmouth bawsack regularly. 

Hope he jacks it now. His interview on radio after was cringeworthy. Seemed concussed as he repeated the same lines over and over. Kept thinking he should be talking to a doctor not doing an interview. Was totally magnanimous in defeat though...raving about Usyk. In fact he was raving about him so much I’m not entirely convinced he doesn’t want to ride him.

Was actually getting bit worried - he asked what round it finished at least twice during Sky interview - Took few heavy shots from RD 6 onwards - Glad he has now retired, all the best to him...

Would also like to see Scotty Cardle retire - The way he went down from Ricky Burn's punches was worrying as well -- Commentary team were saying seemed a bit 'punchy' when they spoke to him on the Friday...That's 2 bad KO's from Ritson and Burns in recent fights -- There's no where left for him to go now I feel..

Ricky looked lean, sharp and accurate last night imo, although it was obvious from start he was classes above Cardle..

On 11/9/2018 at 12:43 PM, Micky said:

I know what you mean Robbo. Certainly a fair number of bams at most shows.  The worst one I attended was when Ricky fought Mitchell at the SEC. There were way more fights in the stands than in the ring.

My mate fought MMA for a while and I went a fair number of MMA shows round Scotland supporting him. What struck me was there was hardly a crossed word between rival fans and not a hint of bother at the shows I was at - despite the drink flowing freely. I wondered why there was such a difference in crowd behaviour. 

I suspect it's because a good percentage of the crowd at small hall MMA bills are competitors themselves - and everyone knows this - so there's plenty of respect/fear. Boxing is still the 'bigger' sport with the wider appeal to non competitors and more p*ssed up neds attend. 

Of course I could be talking sh*te. MMA might be rife with crowd trouble and I've just got lucky so far. 

You're 100% correct A lot of the local MMA crowd are participants in some aspect of the sport as well. So they're there to pick tips up and enjoy it, once you get a big show it goes the same as Boxing. You have folk who don't participate and just want to see someone hurt and hang around and be tough guys.

If you go to a BJJ tournament almost everyone there is a player too.

MMA fans at large events and especially across in America are some of the worst fans you can get.

I was at the burns Mitchell fight and the amount of folk totally out of it in 3 piece suits was incredible.

Some finish in the UFC main event last night. Literally the last second and pulls out this knock out of a guy who's whole fighting identity is built on taking hits and not even registering them.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Dairbee said:

Disappointed to see Josh retweet a post from "Proactive Patriots" tonight which is fanning the flames of racial tension in England. 

You sure about this Dairbee? I was a shocked when I saw your post.

Can't see anything in Josh's timeline at all.

I did notice a tweet in Lee McGregors (Aberdeen boxer) timeline where he quoted the Proactive Patriots - and said it was disgusting !!

3 hours ago, Micky said:

You sure about this Dairbee? I was a shocked when I saw your post.

Can't see anything in Josh's timeline at all.

I did notice a tweet in Lee McGregors (Aberdeen boxer) timeline where he quoted the Proactive Patriots - and said it was disgusting !!

Its still on his timeline from last night. Its a retweet regarding a white boy getting a hiding from an asian lad and comparing it to the Huddersfield episode. 

20 minutes ago, Dairbee said:

Its still on his timeline from last night. Its a retweet regarding a white boy getting a hiding from an asian lad and comparing it to the Huddersfield episode. 

Very odd.....I can see it in Lee McGregors timeline ( and he said it was disgusting). Can't see it in Josh Taylors though. 

I'm not actually 'on' twitter - I just view it through the net. I got a mate of mine to check too in case there are things I can't see if I'm not signed in.

He can't see anything on Josh's timeline either.

It was definitely there this afternoon when I replied to Mickey.

I followed him on twitter and it came through my timeline last night.  

Its been taken off now, no trace of the retweet.

It was the same video as Lee McGregor tweeted. 

If thats his personal views, then so be it. 

1 minute ago, Dairbee said:

It was definitely there this afternoon when I replied to Mickey.

I followed him on twitter and it came through my timeline last night.  

Its been taken off now, no trace of the retweet.

It was the same video as Lee McGregor tweeted. 

If thats his personal views, then so be it. 

I should clarify, its not a witch hunt, I was just shocked, and probobly more disappointed that someone I admired for his undoubted ability had such a different viewpoint as myself over this issue. 

• 2 months later...

Another tweet posted last night that's been deleted now.

This time its about the lassie trying to get into the country. 

"So the wee terrorist is getting let back into the UK after all! Even after joining ISIS & admitting having no regrets for it. Not surprised actually, Our government is pathetic. What a sorry state of affairs this country is in!  #NannyState #SnowflakeNation #Spineless"