Traditional boozers in Glasgow - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Traditional boozers in Glasgow

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont know why anyone would want to drink in Wetherspoons pubs. Its like entering a Blackpool amusement arcade. 

For me its solely the choice of beer - I cant think of anything else I find appealing about them?

If youre in a smaller place like Ayr or Airdrie you arent going to get a decent choice of ale unless you go to Wetherspoons. Just seems to be the way it is up here.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

I usually go with their Oakham stuff. Not sure how many the State has but BA usually have more to suit my palate, hence slight bias (overall as a boozer I prefer the State though - more character).

State is cheaper too. BA is overpriced IMO too.

14 hours ago, Mox said:

Me and a few of my mates ended up in The Oriental a couple of months ago when the karaoke was on. We had a good night drinking reasonable Giunness and watching wildlife of all shapes and sizes sing some horrifically bad tunes.

It's not somewhere that I'd rush back for a pint, but unlike a good few 'traditional' boozers in Glasgow, we were never made to feel unwelcome or unwanted.

I've been in there a few times on my way back from Parkhead for Killie games.

Highlight being singing Paper Roses with a 80 year old auld woman after we won at Parkhead for first time since 1955 back in 2012!

11 hours ago, virus-with-shoes said:

For me its solely the choice of beer - I cant think of anything else I find appealing about them?

If youre in a smaller place like Ayr or Airdrie you arent going to get a decent choice of ale unless you go to Wetherspoons. Just seems to be the way it is up here.

Thats fair enough. The cost I imagine comes into it with a lot of people too. Working in centre of Glasgow gives a lot more choice. And despite being a pretty blokish woman I dont yet drink ale.

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Counting House isn't like a run of the mill Spoons though. It's actually a very decent boozer in a wonderful building.

I work 100 yds from it and would only go in it as a last resort. Only thing going for it in my eyes is the Villa Maria wine. So in that sense I can actually see why folk go there for decent beers. I just find the place soleless despite the noise. I actually agree with Alan which I am astonished at ?? 

There is a wee pub close to the Counting House I quite like, on Queen St on the same side of the road as Counting House next to the Italian reataurant. Cant remember the name which is very helpful I know. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I work 100 yds from it and would only go in it as a last resort. Only thing going for it in my eyes is the Villa Maria wine. So in that sense I can actually see why folk go there for decent beers. I just find the place soleless despite the noise. I actually agree with Alan which I am astonished at ?? 

There is a wee pub close to the Counting House I quite like, on Queen St on the same side of the road as Counting House next to the Italian reataurant. Cant remember the name which is very helpful I know. 

Drouthy's?

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Counting House isn't like a run of the mill Spoons though. It's actually a very decent boozer in a wonderful building.

The inside space in the Counting House is great but I find the noise too much and that's because of the high ceiling, so I usually go to The Auctioneers.

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes thats it! !

You are about to tell me its shit arent you ?

Only been in it a couple of times as my mates like it for its cheap drink.... not my type of place though ;)

59 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

For the record, I rarely drink in the Counting House. Was just saying it's a better pub than most Spoons.

I mainly drink in The State, Admiral, Horseshoe and the Dhu in town.

PS It's a Spanish restaurant!

In town, I go for Brewdog, the 13th Note, Ad Lib, the Press Bar and The Admiral.

If you count Charing Cross as in town then Chinaskis and Liberte/Black Sparrow are also pretty decent. then before you know it you are in Woodlands so would head to West or better still, Inn Deep. Drygate on/just off Duke Street is a great place to meet ahead of any football - suppose if across the M8 is no longer city centre then across High St doesn't count either but worth the wee trek.......

37 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

In town, I go for Brewdog, the 13th Note, Ad Lib, the Press Bar and The Admiral.

If you count Charing Cross as in town then Chinaskis and Liberte/Black Sparrow are also pretty decent. then before you know it you are in Woodlands so would head to West or better still, Inn Deep. Drygate on/just off Duke Street is a great place to meet ahead of any football - suppose if across the M8 is no longer city centre then across High St doesn't count either but worth the wee trek.......

I like the Press Bar good for the racing, not at bad a pint and the cheese toasties are great but I did hear it might be shutting.

https://stv.tv/news/features/1376360-last-orders-press-bar-to-join-list-of-glasgow-s-lost-pubs/

Edited by Larky Masher

I take the city centre boundaries to be - M8 to the north and west, High Street to the east and the Clyde to the south.

However, is the Merchant City 'city centre'? The MC also seems to have aggressive expansion plans - Royal Exchange Square is signposted as 'Merchant City', which seems a nonsense - anyway, I digress...

9 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

I take the city centre boundaries to be - M8 to the north and west, High Street to the east and the Clyde to the south.

Would agree with that (maybe a tad generous with your North boundary... if out in Glasgow, would hardly venture any further north than Renfrew Street.... Flying Duck probably as far as I go these days in the city center from the north.... Station Bar probably only thing that comes to mind between the two and probably last time I was there was when I did a few night classes in Caley Uni in the early 00's)

23 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Would agree with that (maybe a tad generous with your North boundary... if out in Glasgow, would hardly venture any further north than Renfrew Street.... Flying Duck probably as far as I go these days in the city center from the north.... Station Bar probably only thing that comes to mind between the two and probably last time I was there was when I did a few night classes in Caley Uni in the early 00's)

Station Bar is another good, traditional boozer but a wee bit out of the way.

26 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Jackson's at Cowcadden's on Cambridge Street is okay.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

For the record, I rarely drink in the Counting House. Was just saying it's a better pub than most Spoons.

I mainly drink in The State, Admiral, Horseshoe and the Dhu in town.

PS It's a Spanish restaurant!

You are thinking of Cafe Andulicia, Drouthys is next to La vita which is an Italian . I just walked past it there to make sure i hadnt been ordering spaghetti bolognese in a Spanish restaurant for the past 3 years .?

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You are thinking of Cafe Andulicia, Drouthys is next to La vita which is an Italian . I just walked past it there to make sure i hadnt been ordering spaghetti bolognese in a Spanish restaurant for the past 3 years .?

Think he is getting mixed up with the Auctioneers, which actually used to be a good pub years ago but felt it has went majorly down hill.... or maybe that is just me reminiscing of when they had the video jukebox and folk would stick Dirrty by Christina Aguilera on all night :lol: 

19 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Think he is getting mixed up with the Auctioneers, which actually used to be a good pub years ago but felt it has went majorly down hill.... or maybe that is just me reminiscing of when they had the video jukebox and folk would stick Dirrty by Christina Aguilera on all night :lol: 

You know as I was reading this thread I was thinking the best pubs ever all had a jukebox. I would still rather listen to a jukebox than some random piped music. 

We had an impromptu works night out 2 weeks ago and went to Bread and Butter, it was a quiz night and had a good laugh. We were by far the oldest folk in the pub and had to download an app to answer the questions. Not one of us knew what to do so we couldnt take part. We were therefore all rooting for ' three pricks and a fanny' ?

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You know as I was reading this thread I was thinking the best pubs ever all had a jukebox. I would still rather listen to a jukebox than some random piped music. 

Can be a bit of a double edged sword at times..... if I want to go to a bar that plays music, I just head for Solid Rock Cafe, as its good drinks and plays my type of music (though the jukebox in the Alpine Lodge next door as some good (and bad!!!!) selections on it, but think you get something like 10 songs for £2)

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

Can be a bit of a double edged sword at times..... if I want to go to a bar that plays music, I just head for Solid Rock Cafe, as its good drinks and plays my type of music (though the jukebox in the Alpine Lodge next door as some good (and bad!!!!) selections on it, but think you get something like 10 songs for £2)

That could indeed be a problem if SQ and his pals spent 10 quid on Paper Roses .

On 2017-7-3 at 9:48 PM, Charlie Endell said:

Was reading an article about the Mitre (the first Canadian PM was born in the building - long before it contained a boozer) which brought back fond memories - that was a proper boozer - the interior can now be found in the Riverside Museum. 

The Mitre as in up a wee lane of Argyll St? Brunswick St maybe.?

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Aye Cafe Andeluz is next door. Been in both countless times as well!