Traditional boozers in Glasgow - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Traditional boozers in Glasgow

14 minutes ago, wanderer said:

MacGregors Pie and Ale Howff probably the best real ale pub within the city center, but heard it is closing down.

Must admit I hadn't heard of it but I see it only opened last year. I don't venture down Merchant City way much.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Charlie Endell said:

Must admit I hadn't heard of it but I see it only opened last year. I don't venture down Merchant City way much.

My Mrs uses the postal service the Eastern European Shop on the High Street to send stuff to her folks, and would pop into it for a pint when in the area, and always had a great selection of guest ale's on tap and some good stuff in bottles.

As said, think its closing/closed as they could not agree terms on a new lease on the building they used.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

There's something about the R.Dhu I've never been able to take to.  Can't put my finger on it but it's not a pub I enjoy spending any time in.  It's strange as it's almost identical to Deoch & Dorus in Partick (same owners I believe) and I don't mind popping there for a pint on occasion.

I don't mind it, usually meet in there when we are playing Thistle/Celtic/Rangers/Motherwell/Hamilton.

Got Racing on too which I like.

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Its the big "no football colours" sign they have on the front door (which I can appreciate why they do) which always gets me, as plenty of pubs in Glasgow take this stance, but they somewhat stick it right in your face and comes across as trying to be a better pub than it really is (its a ok pub, but not high on my list of favorites)

Why is that a problem?

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Why is that a problem?

Its not a problem, its just the manner in which they do it IMHO that just makes me feel the pub thinks its better than it really is (as said, plenty of pubs in Glasgow take this attitude, but usually its a polite "sorry, no colours" remark at the bar/door or something with no fuss or attitude.... while they somewhat stick it in your face before you even get through the door).

Edited by wanderer

29 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Its not a problem, its just the manner in which they do it IMHO that just makes me feel the pub thinks its better than it really is (as said, plenty of pubs in Glasgow take this attitude, but usually its a polite "sorry, no colours" remark at the bar/door or something with no fuss or attitude.... while they somewhat stick it in your face before you even get through the door).

I'd prefer that rather than walking in than getting the knock back at the bar.

I honestly don't see the problem.

I'd have more of a problem if I was in a city centre pub and they let folk in with football colours. Makes the place look like a sh1tehole.

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd prefer that rather than walking in than getting the knock back at the bar.

I honestly don't see the problem.

I'd have more of a problem if I was in a city centre pub and they let folk in with football colours. Makes the place look like a sh1tehole.

Rhoddy Dhu is a funny place.  Has a whiff of being a bit jakey but does decent grub.

Can never tell if i like it or not.

Find racing on the tv a bit depressing.. haha.. but then it's good to have a mix of different types of pubs.  I like going to a jakey pub now and again.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

As said, think its closing/closed as they could not agree terms on a new lease on the building they used.

Its closed - they did have a good selection of ale, but not as good as Bon Accord I dont think?

To be honest the best selection of draught beer (cask and keg) in Glasgow is probably that Wetherspoons at George Square.

6 minutes ago, virus-with-shoes said:

Its closed - they did have a good selection of ale, but not as good as Bon Accord I dont think?

Shame. 

Honestly not been to the Bon Accord in ages now (just never seem to find myself in the area). Going to a gig at the Hydro next week, might pop in for one beforehand :beer2:

18 minutes ago, virus-with-shoes said:

To be honest the best selection of draught beer (cask and keg) in Glasgow is probably that Wetherspoons at George Square.

Ha! You have a good point.  The Counting House is an amazing building. Was ground breaking when it opened with smoking banned at the bar.  They also discouraged people standing at bar so others could get served.  Brilliant choice of beer with ridiculous prices.  It just has that weird passive aggressive atmosphere with a reasonable amount of jakies and hyena cackling groups of women.

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

mcgreggors howf is closing i think.  Bizarrely i think i preferred the dive that was there before.  sometimes it's a laugh going into a dive bar.  McG's was a tad try hard in my book.

Babbity bowsers across the road is not bad.

The Black Bull across the road in the opposite direction is "interesting".

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Its the big "no football colours" sign they have on the front door (which I can appreciate why they do) which always gets me, as plenty of pubs in Glasgow take this stance, but they somewhat stick it right in your face and comes across as trying to be a better pub than it really is (its a ok pub, but not high on my list of favorites)

Never noticed that sign before. Been in a few times after a Scotland or Aberdeen game and never had any hassles wearing a football top. I assume it is more to do with an Old Firm derby.

Not a big horse racing fan but if I'm there for a couple of pints and it's on the TV I'll put a couple of bets on to make things interesting. Always nice for something different.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

State has 10 on at a time I think.

I usually go with their Oakham stuff. Not sure how many the State has but BA usually have more to suit my palate, hence slight bias (overall as a boozer I prefer the State though - more character).

Edited by Charlie Endell

3 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

mcgreggors howf is closing i think.  Bizarrely i think i preferred the dive that was there before.  sometimes it's a laugh going into a dive bar.  McG's was a tad try hard in my book.

Babbity bowsers across the road is not bad.

Dives are interesting, I'd suggest (recommend would be much to strong a word) The Oriental on Hutcheson Street.

2 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Dives are interesting, I'd suggest (recommend would be much to strong a word) The Oriental on Hutcheson Street.

Me and a few of my mates ended up in The Oriental a couple of months ago when the karaoke was on. We had a good night drinking reasonable Giunness and watching wildlife of all shapes and sizes sing some horrifically bad tunes.

It's not somewhere that I'd rush back for a pint, but unlike a good few 'traditional' boozers in Glasgow, we were never made to feel unwelcome or unwanted.

Is it just me or are there some folk on this thread who have lived some pretty sheltered lives?  All pubs are preferable to a a Tesco bag of cans by the telly.  The Clutha and Viccy are now joined by the way, and in the latter you can get a great stone baked pizza to eat in front of the bands through the hoose in the Clutha (which is not just a glorified beer garden, but hosts one of the best open mics in the city on Thursdays).  The best range of real ale in the city is probably still the Three Judges in Patrick, but that is a train or underground from Central.  Nearer is The Hippo Taproom on Sauciehall Street which is a really good craft ale cellar (if that's your kind of thing). Go Glesga pubs!

Not my favourite place but The Iron Horse is okay as far as traditional pubs go.  I. Not sure if the OPis looking for a traditional local type of place or a City Centre pub with a traditional feel.  In Glasgow that is quite a crucial point!

2 hours ago, Mox said:

Me and a few of my mates ended up in The Oriental a couple of months ago when the karaoke was on. We had a good night drinking reasonable Giunness and watching wildlife of all shapes and sizes sing some horrifically bad tunes.

It's not somewhere that I'd rush back for a pint, but unlike a good few 'traditional' boozers in Glasgow, we were never made to feel unwelcome or unwanted.

I encountered the Tuesday afternoon Karaoke once, which was enough. But as you say decent pint at a decent price with a wee bit of time travel thrown in (which includes the tables and chairs which looked like they'd be stolen from a school in the 1980s).

The Tolbooth up at the cross is a decent boozer and has a musician on every day of the week if that's your kinda thing.

Park Lane across from central is quite good too, although a bit small.