Traditional boozers in Glasgow - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Traditional boozers in Glasgow

Chap in my work used to refer to the Imperial as 'the library' - at lunchtime he would pick up his Herald and announce he was off to 'the library'. Fair to say he enjoys a scoop. Lunchtime drinking culture is dying out -  I have always restricted myself to a Friday (with the odd exception).

Aye, the Imperial retains a bit of character - not a bad shop and pretty much guaranteed peace and quiet.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Charlie Endell said:

Chap in my work used to refer to the Imperial as 'the library' - at lunchtime he would pick up his Herald and announce he was off to 'the library'. Fair to say he enjoys a scoop. Lunchtime drinking culture is dying out -  I have always restricted myself to a Friday (with the odd exception).

Aye, the Imperial retains a bit of character - not a bad shop and pretty much guaranteed peace and quiet.

Aye Friday usually for me too. Unless it's sunny.....

On 10/07/2017 at 3:25 PM, Charlie Endell said:

There's a guy in my work who refers to his Friday lunchtime pub visits as a 'trip to the library' too.  When the Hillhead Bookclub opened its doors it reminded me of him!

But aye, I think you're right, the lunchtime drinking culture is definitely on the wane.  Probably no bad thing - you can tell a post 'library trip' piece of work carried out by my colleague a mile away!

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Charlie Endell said:

Lunchtime drinking culture is dying out 

Having only ever worked in factories it's something for me that died out long ago. Some of the tales I've heard from days of yore though, guys cramming in 6 jars during their dinner then returning to operate machinery, office staff walking round with coffee mugs filled with vodka etc. Then all driving hame of course...

I pretty much down tools post lunch on Fridays anyway but three or four pots and the motivation to do any work is almost completely removed. 

Agree on quality of output, Scotlad - in the past I have picked up a piece of Friday afternoon work on a Monday morning and thought 'WTF!'.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that Camperdown Place under Queen Street station has closed, might have been a Weatherspoons but it was a good pint at a reasonable price and miles better than Dows round the corner which for a reason I went to last week when my train was cancelled, the wallpaper on the ceiling being held up with tacks was the icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

Just noticed that Camperdown Place under Queen Street station has closed, might have been a Weatherspoons but it was a good pint at a reasonable price and miles better than Dows round the corner which for a reason I went to last week when my train was cancelled, the wallpaper on the ceiling being held up with tacks was the icing on the cake.

It's due to the redevelopment work at QS.

The Sainsbury's is closing soon too, Burger King etc already closed.

If only there was other pubs within 2 mins walking distance of QS.....

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's due to the redevelopment work at QS.

The Sainsbury's is closing soon too, Burger King etc already closed.

If only there was other pubs within 2 mins walking distance of QS.....

Burger King shutdown over a year ago but thanks for the tip on the other pubs :ok:

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The Vale was miles better than Dows but sadly Scotrail bought it as a ticket office of some shite.

The Vale was good for the horses but there was always a lingering smell of pish about the place but definitely better than Dows.

46 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Burger King shutdown over a year ago but thanks for the tip on the other pubs :ok:

I know, it shut down for the first part of the work (don't ask me what but same reason the boozer shut next to it) but the units below didn't/don't have to shut until end of this month for some reason.

47 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

The Vale was good for the horses but there was always a lingering smell of pish about the place but definitely better than Dows.

it did indeed but as you say it had ATR on the TV's so was good for a quick pint.

If I'm going to a boozer near there for a quick one I'd probably choose Droughy's or Counting House but rarely use Queen Street.

5 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Used to really like that place in the eighties when it was Berlin's. 

Edited by aaid

• 1 year later...