Squad For Georgia And Poland Games - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Georgia And Poland Games

kmcca5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goal and assist for Watt last night.

One of only a handful of Scots in Europe this season. We'll see him in the first team soon.

Agreed. Stark not picking him for 21's is a complete joke. Walloper. Great prospect, Georgia could be used for a couple of fringe players to get squad places, Cairney must be so close too

Agreed. Stark not picking him for 21's is a complete joke. Walloper. Great prospect, Georgia could be used for a couple of fringe players to get squad places, Cairney must be so close too

Did someone say the name Cairney ? :wub:

In all seriousness we do have to get him into the team soon. He's one of the best midfielders in the Championship. Won't be long before he's in the Premier League with Blackburn or a new club.

I'd drop Callum McGregor and Chris Burke. It wouldn't be the end of the world either, if Mark Reynolds was to take Gordon Greer's place from now on.

Please, please, please Strachan, give Tom Cairney a call up ! I think Kevin McDonald should stay in the squad, definitely think he's more than ready for international football.

Wee bit concerned about Darren Fletcher and Shaun Maloney's fitness.

Did big Dunc not come out recently and said he had regrets about Scotland. watt would be wiseto take note.

Am sure Greegsy came out on his twitter and cited the standard life example,rightly or wrongly, at least he was trying to engage rather than be a No for bawbag reasons so he deserves more respect. he's an edinburgh boy s may have had specific reasons. I'd still have him ahead of marsh

I've come to this a bit late so apologise if point made already. I know we are short of central defenders but I do worry that among all the good cheer & positivity around the team we ignore our weakness in central defence. The two goals against Germany were poorly defended even allowing for the quality of the opposition, and generally I think that is the main weakness in our team. Personally, I'd consider playing Greer with Hanley. I know Greer is getting on but he is a decent short term solution and I think would do ok. I'm just not sure the existing partnership really works.

Or, we could always recall Gary Caldwell, I suppose. Just a wee joke!!

We could do with him as an option but not even featured on the bench for Wigan of late. I hope it's not another Injury as we could do with all the experience we can get!

or is it just the Scored against France in 2007 curse????

I've come to this a bit late so apologise if point made already. I know we are short of central defenders but I do worry that among all the good cheer & positivity around the team we ignore our weakness in central defence. The two goals against Germany were poorly defended even allowing for the quality of the opposition, and generally I think that is the main weakness in our team. Personally, I'd consider playing Greer with Hanley. I know Greer is getting on but he is a decent short term solution and I think would do ok. I'm just not sure the existing partnership really works.

What's Russell Martin done to be dropped ? He's one of the first names on the team sheet and deservedly so.

Martin's been a good player for us and bailed us out loads of times. In contrast to Caldwell, Berra and Greer, he's calm under pressure, can actually pass a ball, tackles clean but firm and his concentration is excellent. There's also been a noticeable small improvement in Hanley when he plays alongside Martin. The existing partnership should stay as it is.

Greer has been an absolute bombscare in his games for us and we were lucky not to concede against the USA, Norway and Poland with him in the team. Nowhere near good enough for international football. We'd be inviting disaster if we played him in a qaulifier.

If anything we should be giving Mark Reynolds run outs next year and ditching no hopers like Greer from the team.

Talking of centre-backs...Berra seems to be getting back to his best. Are Martin and Hanley really any better than him? I wouldn't be upset to see Berra play against Georgia.

Russell Martin definetly is. There's been signs of improvement from Hanley in the last couple of months, and he's still a young player. We need to stick with this partnership. Berra's a strong tackler and great in the air but he panics an awful lot when under pressure, his postioning and concentration are poor too.

Martin and Hanley all the way for me :ok:

Do not think there will be any major changes to the squad from the last one.... really just a replacement for Mulgrew is required.

Be interesting to see if Reynolds will keep his place given he has been the first "go to guy" for the last two squads when the injuries have creeped in.