The Brexit Thread - Page 87 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

So it looks as if May, flanked by union flags, is putting 'the country' first, finally reaching out to Corbyn to try to resolve things. Surely this means she must be ready to loosen her grip on her precious deal, making a softer Brexit is more likely, surely some red line will need to go. The Express thinks this means Corbyn will prevent a no deal exit. But probably some sort of Brexit now more likely, rather than a people's vote - which Corbyn never wanted - or no Brexit at all. Boris, Mogg not happy. Telegraph not happy. The National not happy (SNP locked out of talks)... DUP not happy (fearful for precious precious union) 

Edited by exile

39 minutes ago, exile said:

So it looks as if May, flanked by union flags, is putting 'the country' first, finally reaching out to Corbyn to try to resolve things. Surely this means she must be ready to loosen her grip on her precious deal, making a softer Brexit is more likely, surely some red line will need to go. The Express thinks this means Corbyn will prevent a no deal exit. But probably some sort of Brexit now more likely, rather than a people's vote - which Corbyn never wanted - or no Brexit at all. Boris, Mogg not happy. Telegraph not happy. The National not happy (SNP locked out of talks)... DUP not happy (fearful for precious precious union) 

The Tories know if they vote for a customs union and the single market they are finished. So they ask Labour who always wanted a customs union and a single market to help them push it through.

Classic Tory

There is a Westminster by-election tomorrow night btw. Unlike most by-elections there's been little coverage of it.

Newport West, the previous MP, Paul Flynn (a genuinely decent man and a Labour MP whom I really liked and admired) died recently.

They think it's going to be a very close call between Labour and the Tories. The area also voted in favour of Brexit.

My prediction - very narrow Labour hold.

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Corbyn isn't daft enough to fall fall this. Is he?

He takes instructions and guidance from Scottish Labour ...........

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sweep for who resigns before the weekend of the 14 fuckers that want No deal

There has to be a few

D3LUiKGXgAcq9FA.jpg

And the answer is - someone, nobody's ever heard of.

Apparently Fluffy and the even more useless Secretary of State for NI abstained.

6 hours ago, aaid said:

And the answer is - someone, nobody's ever heard of.

Apparently Fluffy and the even more useless Secretary of State for NI abstained.

Another one we haven’t heard of resigns. 

Chris Heaton Harris. 

I struggle to see the flaws in his thinking. I really don’t understand the logic of ruling out No Deal. It is not by any definition No Deal. There is no such thing as No Deal. Why do we have an endless supply of cave in tossers negotiating on our behalf. 4.2m EU nationals in the uk and only 1.2m uk nationals in the EU. That amazes me if correct.

36 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I struggle to see the flaws in his thinking. I really don’t understand the logic of ruling out No Deal. It is not by any definition No Deal. There is no such thing as No Deal. Why do we have an endless supply of cave in tossers negotiating on our behalf. 4.2m EU nationals in the uk and only 1.2m uk nationals in the EU. That amazes me if correct.

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever  re the BBC, I cannot remember them ever highlighting the opporunities for Scotland during indyref, I doubt he was too upset about that. And I am pretty sure he would have something to say about Scotland fcking off without paying its bill. Though I know that ship has sailed for now and we are talking about Brexit.  

Whether he likes it or not Article 50 is there. I am not sure how much legal weight it holds but if it is legally binding and we are going to simply ignore it cos our MPs cannot agree I think that is morally a dangerous road to take. He says the Luxembourg court says we can walk away, is that right ?

What does he mean by having free trade under WTO rules? He only mentioned figures for WTO rules under a no deal scenario .  

So he is right about the BBC but because you cannot remember him supplicating himself to your cause enough you are prepared to give the BBC a free pass... Wow you are so righteous.

And then you imagine him saying things... damning evidence indeed.

Edited by thplinth

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So he is right about the BBC but because you cannot remember him supplicating himself to your cause enough you are prepared to give the BBC a free pass... Wow you are so righteous.

And then you imagine him saying things... damning evidence indeed.

Wtf are you talking about, I never said I gave the BBC a free pass i said I had little sympathy for him, it is NOT the same. 

And what exactly am I imagining him saying ? I asked 2 honest questions based on my interpretation of what I heard as I was unsure .  If I heard incorrectly could you do me the courtesy of explaining ?     

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever  re the BBC, I cannot remember them ever highlighting the opporunities for Scotland during indyref, I doubt he was too upset about that. And I am pretty sure he would have something to say about Scotland fcking off without paying its bill. Though I know that ship has sailed for now and we are talking about Brexit.  

Whether he likes it or not Article 50 is there. I am not sure how much legal weight it holds but if it is legally binding and we are going to simply ignore it cos our MPs cannot agree I think that is morally a dangerous road to take. He says the Luxembourg court says we can walk away, is that right ?

What does he mean by having free trade under WTO rules? He only mentioned figures for WTO rules under a no deal scenario .  

I didn't follow all he was rambling on about but maybe someone who listened can answer your questions.

What I do know is that within one minute he poured cold water on the idea of the European project being to do with peace or trade in Europe!  

Not sure I am in the mood for a lecture on democracy from Baron Pearson of Rannoch. 

But anyway, the acid test on this issue - whatever your views on independence or Brexit - is whether such people are consistent, in accepting for example there is BBC bias towards the status quo in both cases, and whether there are certain freedoms and benefits to be had in leaving a union, in both cases, or what degree of democracy there exists, in how easy it is to leave said union and on what terms, punitive or otherwise, etc, etc. We simply can't tell from this video if the good Baron would be consistent or not. (This applies to the Douglas Carswell point from yesterday too).  

But I don't believe I've ever heard a Ukipper acknowledging those similarities, but I am happy to be corrected. 

Edited by exile

5 minutes ago, exile said:

I didn't follow all he was rambling on about but maybe someone who listened can answer your questions.

What I do know is that within one minute he poured cold water on the idea of the European project being to do with peace or trade in Europe!  

Not sure I am in the mood for a lecture on democracy from Baron Pearson of Rannoch. 

Thanks Exile.

Not everyone on this board is a political expert , I listened to the video to try and understand his points. 

He says the Luxembourg courts have said we are able to ignore clauses 2-5 of article 50 , which say we must deal through the EU commission. Is that correct and if so what is the consequences of bypassing them ?

The other question was on trade. He said we could have free trade under WTO rules which is different from trading on WTO rules under a no deal scenario. He then gave us the net cost to the EU of dealing  under the latter , and said the former was better for them, but he didnt say what the cost was. I dont know what the terms are of having a free trade deal under WTO rules. 

If anyone can answer it would be appreciated.   

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks Exile.

Not everyone on this board is a political expert , I listened to the video to try and understand his points. 

He says the Luxembourg courts have said we are able to ignore clauses 2-5 of article 50 , which say we must deal through the EU commission. Is that correct and if so what is the consequences of bypassing them ?

The other question was on trade. He said we could have free trade under WTO rules which is different from trading on WTO rules under a no deal scenario. He then gave us the net cost to the EU of dealing  under the latter , and said the former was better for them, but he didnt say what the cost was. I dont know what the terms are of having a free trade deal under WTO rules. 

If anyone can answer it would be appreciated.   

What you need is series 3 of the Sinner 👍😀

14 hours ago, thplinth said:

Those numbers are difficult to measure accurately but they will be in the right ballpark. That 4.2 million is split between the 27 other countries, each one of them only has a fraction of that number living in the UK. It is estimated that the UK is the fifth highest exporter of people to other EU countries.   

12 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

For anyone with an interest, by coincidence Mark Carney was interviewed by Sky last night, this is from the interview  :

’ When asked about the claim from some Brexiteers - who have often been some of his most outspoken ctitics - that the UK could leave the EU on WTO terms and maintain zero tariffs , he said ‘ Forget the fiction.... ( its ) absolute nonsense. It needs to be called out. 

I might point out that they want to become better acquainted with the secretary of state for trade, who in parliamemt has made the point that it cannot apply unless both parties agree, and unless you’re moving towards a custom union. ‘