The Brexit Thread - Page 76 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

I was listening to a radio show on Thursday or Friday last week and there was a guy on who said that it wasn't possible for May to bring her deal back for another vote because of that section in the Guide to Parliamentary Practice.

Someone even shouted out the page number in the commons after the series of votes on Thursday night i'm sure so I don't know why anyone in the government are so surprised about this.

I can only assume that they believed they could do anything they wanted and that nobody would stop them.

48 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I was listening to a radio show on Thursday or Friday last week and there was a guy on who said that it wasn't possible for May to bring her deal back for another vote because of that section in the Guide to Parliamentary Practice.

Someone even shouted out the page number in the commons after the series of votes on Thursday night i'm sure so I don't know why anyone in the government are so surprised about this.

I can only assume that they believed they could do anything they wanted and that nobody would stop them.

Come on though lets face it this government are thick. Many Brexiteers within it never even thought about the Irish Border issue until a year after the Yes vote had been returned yet it is a massively pivotal part of what can be or not as the case is with a full blown Brexit that they promised.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Come on though lets face it this government are thick. Many Brexiteers within it never even thought about the Irish Border issue until a year after the Yes vote had been returned yet it is a massively pivotal part of what can be or not as the case is with a full blown Brexit that they promised.

I suppose, although I think for most of the people championing Brexit they would probably just have assumed that Ireland would fall in line.

I even heard some of them say that Ireland should just leave the EU too as that would solve the problem. That goes beyond being thick, it's just sheer arrogance.

39 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I suppose, although I think for most of the people championing Brexit they would probably just have assumed that Ireland would fall in line.

I even heard some of them say that Ireland should just leave the EU too as that would solve the problem. That goes beyond being thick, it's just sheer arrogance.

I think the assumption was that the EU would throw Ireland under the bus in order to facilitate a deal with the UK.   I think in part that's born out of arrogance and a misunderstanding of the EU's position.   

38 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

In all the pro-Brexit campaigning all I ever heard were the promises of what the UK would get from leaving the EU but nobody brought up the Irish Border even though the ink has hardly dried on the deal that brought peace to Northern Ireland and took away the border checkpoints etc. which is pivotal to peace many would have you believe. When the bickering started when the real talks began about the Brexit Deal then that is when the Irish Border issue finally began to hit home to the Brexiteers and those in the ERG.

44 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The BBC treatment of Bercow is a fucking disgrace

Following him along the street has surely crossed a line

Watched that this morning. Immediately afterwards the smiling BBC politics reporter (forget his name) said it was a fantastic lesson to any young journalist on the importance of persistance.

Just the state broadcaster doing their pro-government thing again.

She really is a complete arsepiece

I think she thinks the internet hasnt been invented and the public are completely politically ignorant - never mind the democratic deficit of the UK and knowing exactly what 17 million leavers wanted 

59 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

She really is a complete arsepiece

I think she thinks the internet hasnt been invented and the public are completely politically ignorant - never mind the democratic deficit of the UK and knowing exactly what 17 million leavers wanted 

TBF, the people she's talking to - and the only ones she's interested in - probably don't know what the Internet is. 

May's appeal to "the people", that is "over the heads of MPs" might make sense if she put her deal to a "people's vote", or dissolved parliament to get a fresh bunch of MPs to break the deadlock. But she is bringing the same turd stubbornly back to the same MPs, while the people look on helplessly screaming at their TVs.

Edited by exile

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Anything but a no deal brexit is a betrayal to the vote. If the government doesn’t want to do that they should say so and ignore the vote with transparency and face the consequences at the next GE. 

If you mean the 2016 vote, that was simply about voting to leave the EU. If the UK leaves the EU (whatever deal or no deal) then that is fulfilling the vote according to what the ballot asked.  Even Rees-Mogg admitted the other day that 'deal' (or some softer Brexit option) would be legally leaving the EU.  If we can't use the words on the ballot paper what can we use?

I think plenty voted to leave on the basis that a really sweet deal was a rubber stamp job and that the UK held all the cards. The narrative I remember was that as soon as the EU woke up to the fact that ‘we’ would seriously damage them by withholding ‘our’ seventy-teen gazillion squillion quid, then they would roll over and ask for their sleekit cowardly bellies to be tickled. I take your point though, that a ‘no deal’ as a threat was not being presented as having any negative consequences, and a hardcore, as you say, were pushing for exactly that.

13 minutes ago, exile said:

If you mean the 2016 vote, that was simply about voting to leave the EU. If the UK leaves the EU (whatever deal or no deal) then that is fulfilling the vote according to what the ballot asked.  Even Rees-Mogg admitted the other day that 'deal' (or some softer Brexit option) would be legally leaving the EU.  If we can't use the words on the ballot paper what can we use?

I suspect none of the government has the stomach for a proper leave. If any of these deals still tie the UK to the EU through trade deals etc then is it a leave? Maybe so.

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I suspect none of the government has the stomach for a proper leave. If any of these deals still tie the UK to the EU through trade deals etc then is it a leave? Maybe so.

Personally I think so. A sovereign nation can agree to be be bound into international treaties and so on. The Good Friday agreement springs to mind. Doesn't mean you are the same country.