The Brexit Thread - Page 66 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

18 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m sure I could find some quotes from people within the higher positions of the EU that give a hint of that. Who is “Britain” unionist politicians can and will do that but it’s still false.

Please do. 

‘A hint’ could mean anything. 

2 minutes ago, antidote said:

Please do. 

‘A hint’ could mean anything. 

It’s only 2019, it’s very early days and they are hardly going to explicitly say it when there would be substantial opposition, but things could look very differently in 50 years. I’ll have a look shortly, sure Junker was banging on about a European army, something that was amazingly praised on here as a good thing 

13 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

So all the way from Australia you have an opinion on Scottish independence.  What is on the flag of your country again?  You might want to try and ask the locals.

There is a wee UJ stuck away in the corner, exactly where a UJ should be, and only there as a warning  to never go there again .

🙂

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m sure I could find some quotes from people within the higher positions of the EU that give a hint of that. Who is “Britain” unionist politicians can and will do that but it’s still false.

Not only do British politicians claim this, one senior lying toad minister actually said that Scotland ceased to exist as a country back in 1707 and became part of England. 

Guess who.

Having an eu army is not quite the same as being a country. 

How long has NATO been on the go. 

No one knows what 50 years later will bring. 

The eu could disintegrate? anything can happen. 

Edited by antidote

7 minutes ago, antidote said:

Not only do British politicians claim this, one senior lying toad minister actually said that Scotland ceased to exist as a country back in 1707 and became part of England. 

Guess who.

Having an eu army is not quite the same as being a country. 

How long has NATO been on the go. 

No one knows what 50 years later will bring. 

The eu could disintegrate? anything can happen. 

It’s a hell of a leap from what the EU was supposed to be. Allow an army and who knows where it ends ..

I followed the referendum closely in 2014, I know all the bullshit unionists come out with, it shouldn’t be a choice between two evils 

12 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

So.  You voted yes to not be run by London I take it.  But you would like to run by Brussels?  Is that your argument?

There are many reasonable reasons for leaving EU. But as has been said many times, being in the EU does not mean being "run by Brussels"

Being in the EU means a country participates in a club of countries, whose laws are made by elected politicians (MEPs) from our country (not by "Brussels"). 

Being "run by London" means getting the government chosen by our southern neighbour.

Maybe most obviously in the current climate: a member country of the EU can  leave at any time of its own choosing.  A country of the UK has no such right, as we all know

1 hour ago, exile said:

There are many reasonable reasons for leaving EU. But as has been said many times, being in the EU does not mean being "run by Brussels"

Being in the EU means a country participates in a club of countries, whose laws are made by elected politicians (MEPs) from our country (not by "Brussels"). 

Being "run by London" means getting the government chosen by our southern neighbour.

Maybe most obviously in the current climate: a member country of the EU can  leave at any time of its own choosing.  A country of the UK has no such right, as we all know

The ‘run by Brussels’ argument is the most dim witted comeback going 🙈

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s may be exaggerated and politically motivated but I’m amazed how many just completely dismiss it 

Since I'm struggling to find any validity in the run by Brussels argument, I tend to be one of those who dismiss it. Can you tell me why it's a valid point?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Since I'm struggling to find any validity in the run by Brussels argument, I tend to be one of those who dismiss it. Can you tell me why it's a valid point?

If you truly want the answer i can give you it, it would require buying and reading a book though, you up for it?

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s may be exaggerated and politically motivated but I’m amazed how many just completely dismiss it 

Its dismissed because it is utter guff.

I do wish the media would ask "the man in the street" what are the exact rules from Brussels ?

9 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

The ‘run by Brussels’ argument is the most dim witted comeback going 🙈

It's the same nonsense as "run by Westminster".  I'm staggered by the lack of awareness by nationalists.  Scotland has been fed this simplified dumbed down grievance politics for decades. The Leavers have repackaged it.  They saw the success and used it.  FFS Blackford was talking about William Wallace last week, Humza Yousaf  was quoting Burns and Leavers are going about World War 2.

6 MEP's

Largest block the Conservative/Centre Right EPP

Unelected representatives

It's all so familiar and tiresome.

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

It's the same nonsense as "run by Westminster".  I'm staggered by the lack of awareness by nationalists.  Scotland has been fed this simplified dumbed down grievance politics for decades. The Leavers have repackaged it.  They saw the success and used it.  FFS Blackford was talking about William Wallace last week, Humza Yousaf  was quoting Burns and Leavers are going about World War 2.

6 MEP's

Well maybe you can tell what all these "made in Brussels" rules are ? 

10 minutes ago, Alan said:

6 MEP's

Has Westminster not just ridden rough shot over the SG?

Taken back powers from Scotland?

Westminster is giving preferential treatment to N.I. and Gibraltar, but ignored Scotland voting remain to drag us along with England even though our exports will be adversely effected more than the rest of the UK. 

These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how nasty Westminster is to Scotland and we’ve got every right to be aggrieved. 

Go do one Alan. 

Politics is rubbish, nationalism is rubbish. Imagine a Scottish politician quoting a poet! Imagine a politician invoking history! 

Football's fine though. Let's sing about Bannockburn before games. Let's sing Loch Lomond at half time. Let's bother to flutter old flags. 

If your nation is so embarrassing, why bother supporting its football team? There are other sports available, you can support GB/UK all the way. 

22 hours ago, Alan said:

6 MEP's

Success? I may be mistaken but did ‘those nationalists’ not lose the scottish referendum?

If losing is your idea of success then its no wonder we are country of weak minded individuals willing to put up with any shit that gets thrown at us. 

23 hours ago, Alan said:

6 MEP's

So let me get this right Tory boy. Your party of wankers have inflicted BREXIT and this complete fucking fiasco on Scotland and in  your twisted wee mind this is the fault of the 'nationalists'. What a delusional fucker you are.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, Alan said:

6 MEP's

Where have you been for 40 years??

I presume you migrated to Mars to miss the Thatcher years when she oversaw and encouraged the closure of the majority of Scottish coal mines, steelworks and docks. That point in Scottish history is when the worm turned. Up until then independence was supported by just under 20% of Scotland. Since then support has been on a steady rise as Scots witnessed various examples of being treated like a Westminster plaything. Wake up and smell the coffee eh? The sooner you do the easier it will be for you when independence comes.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I presume you migrated to Mars to miss the Thatcher years when she oversaw and encouraged the closure of the majority of Scottish coal mines, steelworks and docks. That point in Scottish history is when the worm turned. Up until then independence was supported by just under 20% of Scotland. Since then support has been on a steady rise as Scots witnessed various examples of being treated like a Westminster plaything. Wake up and smell the coffee eh? The sooner you do the easier it will be for you when independence comes.

Correct. We can stand on our own two feet. Something i couldnt do on saturday night. But we can. And we will. I am not a nationalist or snp man. But to run my own affairs. Just like my country should. The eu os a great idea to prevent wars etc. Just needs fixed. Scots law for example is one of the greatest example. Why should a court in europe be able to over rule decisions we make? Somebody made a comment on here the other day saying brussels only affected 95% of our lifes. It shouldnt control any %. But it is a good thing we all have a union in europe. Every country. Including Scotland. Independence is a dream? Maybe. But a good one.

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nah he was going:

"Hit me harder Maggie, oh please hit me harder, I love it !"