The Brexit Thread - Page 211 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

15 hours ago, exile said:

Scotland seems to be one of the most badly affected - not just miles worse than NI but also much worse than Wales.  Had our FM been a bit more forceful in demanding a similar halfway house set up to NI, we'd probably be a lot better off, but she pissed any chance of actually achieving anything up against a wall with her ill-advised "Stop Brexit" campaign.  "Scotland will not be dragged out the EU against her will" to quote Fatty Blackford. Aye right.  Bunch of spineless cowards.  

42 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Scotland seems to be one of the most badly affected - not just miles worse than NI but also much worse than Wales.  Had our FM been a bit more forceful in demanding a similar halfway house set up to NI, we'd probably be a lot better off, but she pissed any chance of actually achieving anything up against a wall with her ill-advised "Stop Brexit" campaign.  "Scotland will not be dragged out the EU against her will" to quote Fatty Blackford. Aye right.  Bunch of spineless cowards.  

That is putting it very mildly.

England clearly voted for BREXIT and it was ridiculous to campaign on stopping it for them. They were gone as soon as the vote was counted, the only question left was, were we going with them... you weren't reversing their EXIT and nor would you want to reverse the outcome of a democratic referendum. That would be incredibly stupid if you were hoping to hold your own some time soon.

Clearly instead of Stop Brexit the campaign should have been Go Independent. The SNP did not chicken out even, they knowingly side-stepped it to campaign on something that had zero chance of success (Stop Brexit), a total cop out and not the result of bad advice. They knew it was bullshit but it allowed them to avoid campaigning for what they should have been campaigning for independence. They were just posing and posturing knowing it would achieve nothing.

Windbag Blackford being a superb example. How many times did we hear that sack of bollocks say Scotland will not be dragged out of the EU against her will... blah blah blah. Totally empty words and they knew it.

I think it's too early to say what was successful or not about the SNP stance on Brexit. They lost support in 2017 and won back support in 2019, partly on a Stop Brexit platform - however 'so 2010s' that stance may seem now. I suppose their tactic was to appeal to Remainers (At the time, it was a big issue - remember Jo Swinson?). I suppose their intention was to hoover up politically homeless Remainers and try to get them into a habit of voting SNP. That may be just party politicking but it would be part of the 'political plates moving' that we haven't seen the end of.  

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Newryrep said:

Frost gone apparently 

Another one who realises that it’s impossible to square the circle of respecting the GFA and not being aligned to the SM/CU and runs away so he won’t be left standing when the music stops. 

15 minutes ago, phart said:

I have no evidence for this, but it just feels fake to me, as in some of those posts were written knowing they'd get leaked. I also think without evidence that that Baker guy leaked this.

No idea if it who leaked them but I think you’re right about them being written knowing they’d be leaked.  Of course whether they were written that way because they knew they *would be* or *could be* leaked is another matter. 

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

No idea if it who leaked them but I think you’re right about them being written knowing they’d be leaked.  Of course whether they were written that way because they knew they *would be* or *could be* leaked is another matter. 

Although I always got told/trained to write communications like they'd be leaked whenever I worked in the civil service.

Well not leaked but made public.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, phart said:

Although I always got told/trained to write communications like they'd be leaked whenever I worked in the civil service.

Well not leaked but made public.

That’s good practice in any sphere.  Never write anything down you’d be embarrassed about if it were viewed by people other than the recipient. 

i always recall one late Friday afternoon email exchange with a colleague regarding a customer where my colleague was proposing a frankly unethical and potentially illegal course of action to resolve a problem.  At the end of the conversation I asked him to give me the customer’s email address and I’d speak to them directly to sort it out.

Unluckily for him, instead of copying the email address into the body, he put it in the “To:” field and sent it, copying the customer in to the entire chain. Luckily for me, I’d been pretty clear that I was against what he was proposing and was squeaky clean.  His arse wasn’t squeaky clean when I pointed out what he’d done,

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-60236169

Surely this isn't allowed, there has to be a border, we need to take back control somewhere?

To think that Nicola Sturgeon is asked by a Daily Mail/Express/Torygraph hack a hypothetical question about Covid border checks and the next day there is all manner of shit on the MSM about a non story

All the EU need to do is insist "No Surrender" stickers are on freight going to NI and Poots wouldnt have a problem

I wonder what their response will be

PS - There is no way Poots thought this up and acted on it all by himself. It is the UK Government behind it

This is nothing to do with trade and everything to do with politics. Stormont elections in May and DUP doing badly in the polls.  This is designed to fire up their base. Whether it works or not is another matter.   Will be interesting to see if the UUP can recover their position at all and also if the DUP lose traditional Unionist votes to the Alliance.  Elections are all under STV so there could be an overall shift in the dynamics of Stormont, ie, no Unionist or Nationalist majority, SF as largest party, etc.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Not all fishermen wanted brexit. Some saw this for what it was, lies lies and more lies and they knew they'd get fucked over in any negotiations 

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Not all fishermen wanted brexit. Some saw this for what it was, lies lies and more lies and they knew they'd get fucked over in any negotiations 

It was largely the pelagic fleet - based in the NE - who were pro-Brexit, the shellfish fishers were pretty much against. The problem was that the media only focussed on the pelagic fleet and their representatives and so gave a skewed view of the overall view in the industry. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

It was largely the pelagic fleet - based in the NE - who were pro-Brexit, the shellfish fishers were pretty much against. The problem was that the media only focussed on the pelagic fleet and their representatives and so gave a skewed view of the overall view in the industry. 

That is what I saw, and the fishermen I come into contact through work all seemed to be pro Brexit. I realise it doesnt mean they all were but they will all be suffering to some degree now I would think. 

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

"Britain is becoming a more closed economy due to Brexit, with damaging long-term implications for productivity and wages which will leave the average worker 470 pounds ($577) a year poorer by the end of the decade, a study forecast on Wednesday."

End of the decade????? We must be almost that much worse off already.