The Brexit Thread - Page 198 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am being totally and utterly naive here but what exactly were the fishermen hoping for?

I understand the view point of closing their waters to EU boats but also surely they did not exoect to still be able to sell openly tp the EU too without tariffs? So what deal did they realistically want/expect?

They dont speak as one CC. Like everyone who voted brexit, they didnt vote for one specific.

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The full detail of the deal hasn't been published yet, but going by the wee bits and pieces of information which have been given out, it looks like the share of fishing doesn't actually change hugely. It looks like the share of fish that the EU fleet will be allowed to catch will gradually go down from about 47% currently to about 43% by 2026. And there will still be negotiations each year about actual quotas for each species etc. I'm not sure how they can sell that as "taking back control of UK waters", to the Scottish fishermen but I'm sure they will have a good try, helped by their pals in the media. Will the fisher folk be persuaded by the propaganda though?

Edit : Correction, I see the EU have published the text of the deal here. Haven't had time to read it yet though.;)

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2020/EN/COM-2020-857-F1-EN-ANNEX-1-PART-1.PDF

I’ve been reading some of the details on fishing but couldn’t see any figures other than 25% reduction over 5 years. 

Where do the 47% to 43% come from? 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Two lads who own and have just built oje of the biggest and most advanced boats in the scottish fleet voted for brexit but they are two of the nicest lads you will ever meet. Not all of them are UJ waving greedy bastards like some portray them as.

Dont get me wrong, some of them are utter cunts but thats not exclusive to fishermen😂😂😂

Indeed it's not the fisheries or Brexit voters to be blamed or mocked. It is the liars and charlatans who sold them the false promises - the Johsnons and Goves - and also the shameless spineless remainer Tories who originally opposed leaving but sold them all out, put their own political skins ahead of their constituents and their country.

Nothing in world history has changed, it repeats and it's always been about the hierarchy in this world system. The Aristocracy/Power Elite v the average person who they deem to be the plebeians otherwise known as the peasants and serfs.  Seems we are going back to a system of Feudalism - that's the reality when you look up the facts.

4 hours ago, JohnWh said:

and you fools who believe your leader is doing something different from every other government puppet in the world is doing.... well I pity you.

Well I'd far sooner be in a position to elect ot deselect my own leader. We have never had that option for 300+ years and Scots in the UK are treated like sub-servient slaves to Tories. I have my pride thanks.

The government "puppets" can't work together well enough to get even a semi-coherent climate accord, with such low efficacy i'm not worried about any of their other plans. 

The political battle should be looked through the lens of Class!! What a novel and insightful interpetation wonder why no one else has ever thought of that.

Pity from the person awake at 3am on a dying football board writing out vague cryptic notes with little to no substance. Isn't the Christmas spirit great!!

6 hours ago, JohnWh said:

and you fools who believe your leader is doing something different from every other government puppet in the world is doing.... well I pity you.

Piss off wae that patter, enough idiots on social media coming away with this guff without it polluting this board as well. Condescending, tinfoil hat wearing, cocksocket

10 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

I’ve been reading some of the details on fishing but couldn’t see any figures other than 25% reduction over 5 years. 

Where do the 47% to 43% come from? 

It looks like I misunderstood some of the numbers that I saw. It appears that those numbers are specifically about one species, North Sea Cod. And the 47% is after the 15% reduction for the first year. So I guess it must be about 55% at the moment (which seems quite high to me)? Then after that it comes down further to 43% by 2026. 

I started looking at some of the current regulations on fishing and found out that they are even more complicated than I had imagined. It is no wonder fishermen find them difficult to understand. One thing that I did find interesting is that most cod eaten in the UK isn't actually caught in UK waters. The UK eats much more Norwegian cod. Another thing that I didn't know was that Norway has access to about 15% of the fishing quotas in UK waters as well. No wonder the quota negotiations seem to take ages every year. 

Edited by Orraloon

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It looks like I misunderstood some of the numbers that I saw. It appears that those numbers are specifically about one species, North Sea Cod. And the 47% is after the 15% reduction for the first year. So I guess it must be about 55% at the moment (which seems quite high to me)? Then after that it comes down further to 43% by 2026. 

I started looking at some of the current regulations on fishing and found out that they are even more complicated than I had imagined. It is no wonder fishermen find them difficult to understand. One thing that I did find interesting is that most cod eaten in the UK isn't actually caught in UK waters. The UK eats much more Norwegian cod. Another thing that I didn't know was that Norway has access to about 15% of the fishing quotas in UK waters as well. No wonder the quota negotiations seem to take ages every year. 

Yeah it must be complicated. Every article/comment I read carries different figures. 

Latest from BBC’s Douglas Fraser says: 

Some things will have changed by then. UK vessels will have around an eighth more of the total catch from UK waters, or roughly 25% more than they have now. They will have received £100m from the UK government to expand and update the fleet.

That highlights that some of the headline of taking back 25% catch over 5 years is actually far from it. It’s actually a 25% increase on UK catch which would be a much smaller number and not as good a headline. 

If working from a starting baseline of 50% catch (which I’ve seen loosely reported), it means share going up to 62.5%. 

40 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yeah it must be complicated. Every article/comment I read carries different figures. 

Latest from BBC’s Douglas Fraser says: 

Some things will have changed by then. UK vessels will have around an eighth more of the total catch from UK waters, or roughly 25% more than they have now. They will have received £100m from the UK government to expand and update the fleet.

That highlights that some of the headline of taking back 25% catch over 5 years is actually far from it. It’s actually a 25% increase on UK catch which would be a much smaller number and not as good a headline. 

If working from a starting baseline of 50% catch (which I’ve seen loosely reported), it means share going up to 62.5%. 

Aye, it's quite easy to distort things by selectively presenting the numbers in different ways. In general most folk don't really understand how numbers work until it comes down to pounds and pennies in their own pockets.

So... SNP to vote against Brexit deal.

Not sure why they don't just abstain. Scotland's voice is drowned out either way, but abstention - though often a sign of political fence-stitting - would in some ways reflect the powerlessness of Scottish votes in Westminster to count either way.

8 minutes ago, exile said:

Not sure why they don't just abstain. Scotland's voice is drowned out either way, but abstention - though often a sign of political fence-stitting - would in some ways reflect the powerlessness of Scottish votes in Westminster to count either way.

Continuing with the consistent stance they've taken since day one.  In the same vein, I expect any legislative consent motion to be voted down should one come to Holyrood.  Won't make a bit of difference but sometimes its important to make a point.

Be interesting to see how Labour and the Lib Dems would vote in those circumstances.

Edited by aaid

4 minutes ago, exile said:

They are not allowed to a abstain. They must tow the line with UK policy.  The people have spoken and the politicians have finally carried it out.  

Lets get some closure on the whole thing. 

7 minutes ago, davy-hay said:

They are not allowed to a abstain. They must tow the line with UK policy.  The people have spoken and the politicians have finally carried it out.  

Lets get some closure on the whole thing. 

The people of England and Wales have spoken and have had their wishes carried out.