The Brexit Thread - Page 197 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Ha ha, politics aside, she's cracking but she does have some very strange opinions.

Just looked again and someone who by the looks of things is actually a fisherman as opposed to a local tory councillor or whatever is describing it as a sell-out.

Unless they are a pelagic fisherman, They will not benifit from what i can gather. A small portion of makerel will head to the already wealth, small amount of fishermen,, there will be a big carry on on the back of this. The industry is just trying to digest what’s actually been dealt 

1 hour ago, davy-hay said:

I wouldn't listen to cnn.  They'll probably tell you the sky is falling down. 

Trust conservisim 

It's malcolm Barr I'm lsitening to, mentioning CNN is just like mentioning the colour of the paper the message is written on not the actual message; which is the important thing.

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Ffs bonny gies a tune????

OK laughing policeman song. 

There is a guy called pressley, 

He goes to head the baw.. 

He never misses headers cause

he fuckin wins them awe. 

But now he speaks so slowly,

When he's on TV,, 

His skull is not the same shape as fuckin used to be 

Aaaahahahahahahaha. Ooooo hahahahahaha..... Hahahahaha. Ooooahhaaaaahaha.   

6 hours ago, phart said:

EqGMb-0XEAEyPCB?format=jpg&name=large

Just had a laugh at the Brexit ‘Reality Check’ article from BBC where they present 10 parts of Brexit, with Questions & Answers as to what the outcome of the 1000 page document means for the UK. 

Unfortunately the ‘Answers’ actually mainly provide further questions and uncertainties.

Interestingly, N.Ire doesn’t merit it’s own question but it is snuck into point 4 that they will remain in EU customs and single market. No mention of checks for goods UK to/from N.Ire. 

Answers around Financial Services, Data, Product Regulation and Security highlight the real mess we’ve created. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55252388

8 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Just had a laugh at the Brexit ‘Reality Check’ article from BBC where they present 10 parts of Brexit, with Questions & Answers as to what the outcome of the 1000 page document means for the UK. 

Unfortunately the ‘Answers’ actually mainly provide further questions and uncertainties.

Interestingly, N.Ire doesn’t merit it’s own question but it is snuck into point 4 that they will remain in EU customs and single market. No mention of checks for goods UK to/from N.Ire. 

Answers around Financial Services, Data, Product Regulation and Security highlight the real mess we’ve created. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55252388

Least the super rich won't be subject to EU taxation rules though!

This Brexit deal is emphatically nothing to celebrate (Prospect magazine)

'We have traded real influence for an empty husk of sovereignty'

'Any comparisons to what was promised in 2016—the slashing of red tape, fully frictionless trade, the “exact same benefits” that we had before—now resemble some sort of macabre joke.'

Whether you're pro or anti Brexit, the Goverment seems to keep getting away with lying through everything - pretending no tarriffs, pretending it's delivered what it promised, pretending it didnt break any red lines - and for the British mdeia to present it as if fact.

It is really nauseous listening to the gushing Tory lies and fantasies of Brexit.

We are exiting the EU and trading/dealing with the EU just got tougher with far less benefits to boot. That is an undeniable fact no matter how Brexiteers try to paint this. 

It is being described as a Canadian-style trade deal. So we know Canada's major trade deal is with its neighbours the USA whilst we have a paltry trade deal with our neighbours so what do we replace that with? The US don't have the need for a major trade deal with the UK like sad, fat Boris dreams of. And so where else are they trade deals going to be done with especially considering long haul deals are far from ideal for fresh farm produce etc.

There is no doubt this deal will get passed through Westminster as the only alternative is No Deal. The point is it is not being passed because of how wonderful a deal it is but because the only other alterative is catastrophic.

Looks as if the deal means that there's no barrier to Scotland rejoining the EU and then having an automatic trade deal with UK. (In principle Scotland if in EU could also have a say in UK rejoining, rather UK vetoing Scotland rejoining.) 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is really nauseous listening to the gushing Tory lies and fantasies of Brexit.

We are exiting the EU and trading/dealing with the EU just got tougher with far less benefits to boot. That is an undeniable fact no matter how Brexiteers try to paint this. 

It is being described as a Canadian-style trade deal. So we know Canada's major trade deal is with its neighbours the USA whilst we have a paltry trade deal with our neighbours so what do we replace that with? The US don't have the need for a major trade deal with the UK like sad, fat Boris dreams of. And so where else are they trade deals going to be done with especially considering long haul deals are far from ideal for fresh farm produce etc.

There is no doubt this deal will get passed through Westminster as the only alternative is No Deal. The point is it is not being passed because of how wonderful a deal it is but because the only other alterative is catastrophic.

I am denying it. 

The full detail of the deal hasn't been published yet, but going by the wee bits and pieces of information which have been given out, it looks like the share of fishing doesn't actually change hugely. It looks like the share of fish that the EU fleet will be allowed to catch will gradually go down from about 47% currently to about 43% by 2026. And there will still be negotiations each year about actual quotas for each species etc. I'm not sure how they can sell that as "taking back control of UK waters", to the Scottish fishermen but I'm sure they will have a good try, helped by their pals in the media. Will the fisher folk be persuaded by the propaganda though?

Edit : Correction, I see the EU have published the text of the deal here. Haven't had time to read it yet though.;)

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2020/EN/COM-2020-857-F1-EN-ANNEX-1-PART-1.PDF

Edited by Orraloon

6 hours ago, exile said:

Looks as if the deal means that there's no barrier to Scotland rejoining the EU and then having an automatic trade deal with UK. (In principle Scotland if in EU could also have a say in UK rejoining, rather UK vetoing Scotland rejoining.) 

I assume there are custom checks for goods arriving from NI/IRE into the UK? 

This would presumably be one complication of an independent Scotland having a border with England. While the basis would be there for trade to take place, there would need to be some border checks I assume and trusted trader stuff like they’ve trumpeted for the past few years (unsuccessfully) for Ireland. Albeit that the unique circumstances of Ireland made that unattractive. 

genuinely shocked that john has came out publicly slating the tories, i have had some good debates with him,, been comenting back and fore to one another and he is gutted, i dont like the “told you so” that some are chucking around to the fishermen, they are hard working lads. I hope we can get parts of the industry back onboard

https://twitter.com/jrclarkbf800/status/1342882760936062984?s=20

11 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

genuinely shocked that john has came out publicly slating the tories, i have had some good debates with him,, been comenting back and fore to one another and he is gutted, i dont like the “told you so” that some are chucking around to the fishermen, they are hard working lads. I hope we can get parts of the industry back onboard

https://twitter.com/jrclarkbf800/status/1342882760936062984?s=20

Two lads who own and have just built oje of the biggest and most advanced boats in the scottish fleet voted for brexit but they are two of the nicest lads you will ever meet. Not all of them are UJ waving greedy bastards like some portray them as.

Dont get me wrong, some of them are utter cunts but thats not exclusive to fishermen😂😂😂