The Brexit Thread - Page 137 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

6 hours ago, thplinth said:

Looks like the utterly vile BBC have a new hatchet job lined up for Corbyn on TV tomorrow.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/07/08/labour-raises-serious-concerns-about-a-major-bbc-propaganda-offensive-about-to-be-aired/

I cannot truly express my feelings of contempt and loathing for the BBC, what a truly disgusting organization.

Maybe they should air their glowing documentary about Jimmy Saville after this Corbyn one.

Another Story on that.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/2019/07/08/chomsky-finkelstein-and-over-100-prominent-jewish-figures-send-letter-in-support-of-chris-williamson/

1 hour ago, aaid said:

House of Commons has just delivered a big fuck you to the DUP.  They've just passed an amendment that says if there's no Assembly in place by October 21, the SoS for NI will introduce legislation to legalise same sex marriage in NI.

Now voting on a similar amendment on abortion.

The SNP are voting for these amendments against their normal convention of not voting on devolved matters, they told the DUP that they got involved in Scottish matters by propping up the Tory government and pursuing a hard Brexit.

edit. The Abortion amendment has passed as well.

Good on them. Twitter seemed to be doing its best to try and make a fuss out of the SNP potentially not voting but any MP I saw tweeting about it seemed fairly clear that they’d be backing the amendments.

• 3 weeks later...

Eu minister Roth:

‘’Boris, the campaign is over, calm down, provocation wont help. 

We can discuss anything, but withdrawal agreement will not be negotiated. 

British conservatives still seem to have naive view that EU can be blackmailed. ‘’

Popcorn time. 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Must be true, he’s all over the guardian ....

Tbh I thought it was a fairly balanced article. Just because it is in the Guardian doesnt mean it is wrong. I got it from Reuters. 

I posted it as an insight into  Dominic Cummings, nothing more. I found it quite interesting . 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Conveniently forgotten that Brexit was voted by a majority. 

In England - otherwise we just ignore the democratic deficit like good wee house jocks 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Tbh I thought it was a fairly balanced article. Just because it is in the Guardian doesnt mean it is wrong. I got it from Reuters. 

I posted it as an insight into  Dominic Cummings, nothing more. I found it quite interesting . 

The idea that one man can drive Brexit is ludicrous 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The idea that one man can drive Brexit is ludicrous 

So is the idea that Indyref was rigged however I would have thought that you of all people would be willing to consider both possibilities 🙂

I think the article is simply putting the suggestion out there that he is a driving force. Given his involvement in the Brexit referendum, and that he is now the PM’s senior advisor , suggests he has a reasonable amount of influence.  

So is the idea that Indyref was rigged however I would have thought that you of all people would be willing to consider both possibilities 🙂

I think the article is simply putting the suggestion out there that he is a driving force. Given his involvement in the Brexit referendum, and that he is now the PM’s senior advisor , suggests he has a reasonable amount of influence.  

Depends how you view the world, believing the referendum could have been rigged and not buying a mainstream narrative about Brexit seems fairly consistent. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Depends how you view the world, believing the referendum could have been rigged and not buying a mainstream narrative about Brexit seems fairly consistent. 

That is true,  but it also sounds like picking and choosing what you are, and are not, prepared to believe simply to defy the mainstream. Sometimes things really are just as they state on the tin. 

I have no idea if Cummings is, or is not, a driving force behind Brexit, but IMO the article is fairly plausible.

14 hours ago, exile said:

So free movement for EU citizens to end on day one of Brexit. 

Does that mean hard border in Ireland on day one?

(In other news... I see a bomb went off today in Fermanagh...)

This could be intresting if the EU countries recipicate this for the immigrants in Spain etc...

15 hours ago, exile said:

So free movement for EU citizens to end on day one of Brexit. 

Does that mean hard border in Ireland on day one?

(In other news... I see a bomb went off today in Fermanagh...)

I think the implication or inference is that on 1st November if you are an EU citizen who is working in the the UK - under the present arrangements - then you'll be fine.  If you turn up on 1st November you won't be.

The problem though is that because they have no way of knowing who's been here before 1 November, say you're Polish and have been here for 10 years.  You go back to Warsaw for a holiday, you could get stopped on the way back and denied entry.   This is what happened to a lot of the Windrush lot.

Closing down parliament. Is the Queen able, or likely, to refuse the request ?  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-49493632

So !!

The unelected prime minister is going to ask the unelected head of state to shut down the elected parliment ?

Where do you start with that ?