The Brexit Thread - Page 71 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Its not something that I normally watch because it has a bit too much of a religious flavour for my liking but I caught the tail end of "The Big Question"  which is hosted by Nicky Campbell today.   It was from Glasgow - I think it was from Hutchey - and it was actually a very balanced show and nowhere near as shouty as Question Time, even though the two politicians on were James Dornan and Adam Tompkins.    I think the general theme of the programme was to do with faith and indenity.   In the first part they were talking about religion, sectarianism and the old firm, I turned over just as that part finished.   They went on to talk about Brexit and English Nationalism.     

Robin McAlpine was on and made what I thought was a very good point that Scotland had gone through a "national conversation" about what it meant to be Scottish in the late 70s, 80s and 90s to the point where - he claimed - that there was a more defined sense of what that meant and that in England, they are only going through that now and that Brexit is a huge part of that - not so much that Brexit is driving that process but more that the that general sense of unease and lack of identity has manifested itself in Brexit.    I have to say that chimes with what I observe has been happening in England over the last few years.   

Probably worth watching it on iPlayer.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That was actually their Unionist and Establishment allies The Labour Party

Well the Tories completed the coup de gras. I do believe devolution was still being sorted on how to go forward amidst Labour being voted out and Thatcher in and it was her government that ended it.

EDIT

No it was Labour indeed. Tried saying bot enough of the electorate had voted.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Its not something that I normally watch because it has a bit too much of a religious flavour for my liking but I caught the tail end of "The Big Question"  which is hosted by Nicky Campbell today.   It was from Glasgow - I think it was from Hutchey - and it was actually a very balanced show and nowhere near as shouty as Question Time, even though the two politicians on were James Dornan and Adam Tompkins.    I think the general theme of the programme was to do with faith and indenity.   In the first part they were talking about religion, sectarianism and the old firm, I turned over just as that part finished.   They went on to talk about Brexit and English Nationalism.     

Robin McAlpine was on and made what I thought was a very good point that Scotland had gone through a "national conversation" about what it meant to be Scottish in the late 70s, 80s and 90s to the point where - he claimed - that there was a more defined sense of what that meant and that in England, they are only going through that now and that Brexit is a huge part of that - not so much that Brexit is driving that process but more that the that general sense of unease and lack of identity has manifested itself in Brexit.    I have to say that chimes with what I observe has been happening in England over the last few years.   

Probably worth watching it on iPlayer.

The boy that set up the Union Jack Scotland supporters club was a hoot :lol:

Might have been Alan actually

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well the Tories completed the coup de gras. I do believe devolution was still being sorted on how to go forward amidst Labour being voted out and Thatcher in and it was her government that ended it.

EDIT

No it was Labour indeed. Tried saying bot enough of the electorate had voted.

Technically, you were right first time. The Scotland Act 1978 didn't get repealed until after the Tories came to power. Both as bad as each other.;)

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just utterly stupid. 

It is akin to going to a Star Trek Convention with a I Love Star Trek T-sjirt on with a photo of R2-D2 and CP30 on it. 

It's from the World Cup in 1974. Different time and place. 

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I want to know more about this !

It's basically for No voting bigots whose conscience wont let them go as far as supporting England but still want to sing Flower of Scotland 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Still utterly stupid. Why claim to be supporting Scotland but hold up another flag that has no connection to Scotland.

I don't think they were claiming to support Scotland, I think they actually were supporting Scotland.    The UJ had less negative connotations amongst the general population then than it does now. 

Regardless of that - it's not one I share - but the "Scots and British" identity is one I can understand and have some respect for.   The "British not Scots" that manifests itself as support for England - against Scotland - I don't respect.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

It's from the World Cup in 1974. Different time and place. 

Correct - you need to have lived thru that period to understand. 

In 74 many at WC in Germany would have been squadies and also getting flags was nowhere as easy / cheap as now.  And politics was very very different.

Project Fear ......

Sky Sources say Japanese car manufacturer Honda is preparing to close its Swindon plant with the loss of 3,500 jobs

It might have happened regardless of Brexit, Japan getting a great trade deal with the EU will not have helped. However, without knowing the full facts and figures, I very much doubt it would be cheaper to make cars in Japan and the ship them thousands of miles to Europe.

Brexit, the gift that keeps on taking.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Still utterly stupid. Why claim to be supporting Scotland but hold up another flag that has no connection to Scotland.

Folk who get worked up about flags need to get a grip.

It's our flag too, you know?

We were representing the UK after all, because England didnae qualify.:lol:

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Folk who get worked up about flags need to get a grip.

It's our flag too, you know?

We were representing the UK after all, because England didnae qualify.:lol:

Nah. Scotland compete under the Saltire. It is what is unfurled when Scotland wins medals in Commonwealth Games and other sports. 

54 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Maybe before the next big referendum or election the government could get all the big businesses together and ask them how people should vote next time?

Alternatively explain how trade and tariffs really work and the possible implications of replacing the terms we have now with fuck all and not say shite like we'll make the easiest trade deals in history once we leave the EU

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Alternatively explain how trade and tariffs really work and the possible implications of replacing the terms we have now with fuck all and not say shite like we'll make the easiest trade deals in history once we leave the EU

Politicians tell the truth? Too far