The Brexit Thread - Page 62 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, jailender said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Despite claiming to present Scotland’s financial position, GERS figures include costs for defence, debt and administrative services not applicable to Scotland. The services in the rest of the UK cost Scotland £35 billion over the last five years.

17 hours ago, antidote said:

Yes we the more politically aware and more savvy know these things,  but to the less knowledgeable it’s a good (any) excuse not to vote yes. 

Imo the SG should start by not give the GERS report any credence what so ever  in fact they should rubbish it altogether.

it makes the job of us who try to persuade people to vote yes all the harder.

It has puzzled me for years why the SG meekly accept the obviously flawed and biased GERS figures (invented by a former Tory SoS, Ian Lang, remember).  What is needed is a new system to measure accurately the parameters of the Scottish economy, including things like exports from Scotland but sent through England, and things like VAT and tax generated from companies operating in Scotland but accounted for at their headquarters elsewhere.  To cover all economic activity, including oil, including exports of electricity, water, you name it.  A proper comprehensive statement of Scotland's true financial position that could not be dismissed by the Unionist side.  The figures need to be produced by an independent body warts and all.  I suspect they would be very embarrassing to the No cause.

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

It has puzzled me for years why the SG meekly accept the obviously flawed and biased GERS figures (invented by a former Tory SoS, Ian Lang, remember).  What is needed is a new system to measure accurately the parameters of the Scottish economy, including things like exports from Scotland but sent through England, and things like VAT and tax generated from companies operating in Scotland but accounted for at their headquarters elsewhere.  To cover all economic activity, including oil, including exports of electricity, water, you name it.  A proper comprehensive statement of Scotland's true financial position that could not be dismissed by the Unionist side.  The figures need to be produced by an independent body warts and all.  I suspect they would be very embarrassing to the No cause.

There's a few reasons.   The Expenditure side of things is pretty straightforwards, you total up the budget of the Scottish Government, Scottish Councils and UKG expenditure directly in Scotland.  The part - and it's significant - is that portion of general UKG spend that isn't spent directly in Scotland but is allocated to Scotland, e.g. the cost of the FCO.

The revenue side of things is a lot more complicated - for the reasons you mention - and I can't see how its something that could be measured any more accurately than at current without Scotland being independent, its certainly not something the SG could do unilaterally under the current devolution settlement.

Then there's the fact that before the drop in oil price, the SG was very vocal in using the GERS figures to highlight that Scotland was contributing more in revenue than it got in expenditure.   Arch unionist, Merryn Somerset Webb actually wrote an article in 2014 about how you couldn't trust the GERS figures which funnily enough was deleted a couple of years back from her website.  If they ditch GERS now because aspects of them are now difficult they would rightly be accused of dropping them because they looked bad.  The likelihood is that the UKG would continue to produce them - or something similar - so it's not as if they'd go away.

The short answer is that the SG Isn't capable of producing its own GERS report as it needs the input of the SG and dropping them entirely would cause more problems than it would solve.

For the foreseeable we are stuck with them.  The two obvious and uncontestable points are that GERS is based on Scotland's position within the UK, firstly it does not reflect the position of an independent country, the whole point of which  would be to make different choices and do things differently.  Secondly, if the outcome of 300 years of union and Westminster rule has resulted in Scotland being an economic basket case unable to stand on her own two feet, that doesn't say much for the current arrangements.

21 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

He could easily do more. Every debate I've seen he's missed the best opportunities. He's blowing his chance on Brexit by refusing to even meet with Theresa. He's as clear as mud on what his party's policy is on a second referendum. 

He's surrounded himself with poor performers like Abbott and Mcdonald and he has failed completely to bat the anti Semitic charges out of the park by expelling the worse offenders. 

I don't dislike him but he's not performing well enough. Labour should be 20 points ahead in the polls however flawed they are, with this clusterfuck of a government. 

This general consensus among what you might call natural labour voters or left leaning individuals that this is the worst Government of all time or a cluster fuck is in their eyes only. There are plenty of right wingers out there who have doubled down on their support of the conservative party, plenty who feel sorry for Theresa May and that's she's doing a fine job in difficult circumstances.

Labour seem to be polling at around 35 - 40, which is pretty reasonable I would have thought. Corbyn has done a pretty good job in the face of constant smear campaigns against everything from his clobber to this so called rampant anti semitism in The Labour party.

He's done a better job of uniting support amongst the public than Ed Miliband ever did and I don't see a reasonable alternative to him. If there was a general election tomorrow I'd give great thought to voting for Corbyn, as I did at the last one, the only thing putting me off is Scottish Labour.

6 hours ago, Mox said:

This general consensus among what you might call natural labour voters or left leaning individuals that this is the worst Government of all time or a cluster fuck is in their eyes only. There are plenty of right wingers out there who have doubled down on their support of the conservative party, plenty who feel sorry for Theresa May and that's she's doing a fine job in difficult circumstances.

Labour seem to be polling at around 35 - 40, which is pretty reasonable I would have thought. Corbyn has done a pretty good job in the face of constant smear campaigns against everything from his clobber to this so called rampant anti semitism in The Labour party.

He's done a better job of uniting support amongst the public than Ed Miliband ever did and I don't see a reasonable alternative to him. If there was a general election tomorrow I'd give great thought to voting for Corbyn, as I did at the last one, the only thing putting me off is Scottish Labour.

I'm neither a Labour voter or a lefty in any regard. 

This government are riddled with division and back stabbing. 

There are gaffes on a regular enough basis to make it one of the most target rich environments an opposition can hope for and still the Tories aren't even sweating. 

They know under Jezza that Labour are a dead duck. Whilst that continues they are free to run their campaign of hatred on the poor and less fortunate. 

Their xenophobia is also given free rein. 

Of course this attracts the right wing and the well off. The Tories are built on the support of folk like that. 

12 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

This about sums the little-englander Brixiteers. (other variants are available)

Mark Francois says he will "never submit to German bullying"

Here’s a vid of that interview. 

Of course WWII references made. usual little englander stuff.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1088773312942145537

Edited by antidote

9 minutes ago, antidote said:

Here’s a vid of that interview. 

Of course WWII references made. usual little englander stuff.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1088773312942145537

Pretty ironic from someone with a French surname, still self-awareness has never been something that Tory Brexiteer MPs have been overly blessed with.  

One thing that constantly amazes me about that lot is that just when you think you've seen the biggest twat possible is an even bigger one pops up.

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The mainstream media would never try and strike fear into the public would they? :lol:

It’s all getting a bit silly now. Make a deal or don’t, or Just have another vote.

Dx_ajVWX4AEyr-m.jpg

Apparently the Labour Party is abstaining on the 2nd Reading of the Immigration Bill. Yes the Labour Party. This Tory will be voting against it.

Nicola Sturgeon Retweeted Anna Soubry MP

Labour abstaining on the Immigration Bill? Seriously? Surely you can’t be happy with this @LabourRichard given the implications of Tory immigration policy for Scotland?

Everybody is not allowed to change their mind except Theresa

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/26/theresa-may-tells-mps-no-brexit-deal-comes-without-a-backstop

Edited by Ally Bongo