Jump to content

Recommended Posts

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/27/four-reasons-jeremy-corbyn-wrong-eu-state-aid

Four reasons Jeremy Corbyn is dead wrong about EU state aid

Edited by Ally Bongo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

He is a fraud , a coward and a buffoon.

 

Just do not get the Jezza love-in down South.

I disagree with his views on EU and he hasn't got the first clue about Scotland . In the absence of Independence , would like to see a Labour/SNP loose coalition as per the Tory/DUP former one. For me Corbyn represents a threat to the Establishment - there need to be a wholesale reorganisation of the tax regime and crackdown on tax avoidance/evasion and also break down the Establishment protectionism re child abuse. The Welfare State needs to come back to being exactly that and get rid of benefit sanctions, bedroom tax and the harsh reality of Universal Credit. Putting resources into benefit fraud is a complete waste of time - its a media enhanced myth re the amount of benefit fraud. Most folk on benefits absolutely skint and more than likely pensioners without a private pension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brexit was always "In House"

This is today's Times

Dvft91lX0AAQauE.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truthfully... a Jeremy Corbyn post hard brexit Britain will be orders of magnitude more truly 'independent' than a Nicola Sturgeon neo liberal EUcentric 'independent' Scotland.

edit: not that I think the kent is actually electable. He really is Tony Benn's protege... I mean FFS are folk really going full Tony Benn. 

Edited by thplinth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Truthfully... a Jeremy Corbyn post hard brexit Britain will be orders of magnitude more truly 'independent' than a Nicola Sturgeon neo liberal EUcentric 'independent' Scotland.

edit: not that I think the kent is actually electable. He really is Tony Benn's protege... I mean FFS are folk really going full Tony Benn. 

By that argument North Korea is the only independent nation in world.

Nothing wrong with pooling some sovereignty and joining EU for mutual benefit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

North Korea? Yeah you might be right. And they are not the only one but like Albania they have taken it to an extreme (for understandable reasons). Using this as an example is weak.

Anyway it was a hypothetical comparison... Corbyn as PM post hard brexit would be more independent than Sturgeon wrapped around Angela Merkle's little finger version of the EU. Independence is not just a word. It has to mean control of your own affairs to the extent you can.

Edited by thplinth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a big contradiction here.

The Scottish Nationalist Party is hugely pro EU.

The EU = the dissolution of Nation states in all but name.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thplinth said:

There is a big contradiction here.

The Scottish Nationalist Party is hugely pro EU.

The EU = the dissolution of Nation states in all but name.

Even if that were true it's more independence than Scotland has now...

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thplinth said:

North Korea? Yeah you might be right. And they are not the only one but like Albania they have taken it to an extreme (for understandable reasons). Using this as an example is weak.

Anyway it was a hypothetical comparison... Corbyn as PM post hard brexit would be more independent than Sturgeon wrapped around Angela Merkle's little finger version of the EU. Independence is not just a word. It has to mean control of your own affairs to the extent you can.

Interesting you mention Merkel. Her power is due to German economic power which would exist even without the EU.

But the EU spreads *political* power around more evenly.

For example Leo Varadkar walks into Downing Street as an equal to Theresa  May. Not like Sturgeon or Salmond who can be simply swatted down by the PM. That's independence. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 11:26 PM, Toepoke said:

Even if that were true it's more independence than Scotland has now...

Spot on.

The UK is getting a choice to leave the EU - Scotland (as part of the UK) is not considering it voted to remain but is still being dragged out. The UK got the choice to take on the Euro and declined but Scotland will never get an option of what currency to use within the union. The UK went to an illegal war in the Gulf supported only by Blair's regime but what the heck Scots soldiers were dragged over there and died needlessly in what has since been proven as a war based on lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

The UK is getting a choice to leave the EU - Scotland (as part of the UK) is not considering it voted to remain but is still being dragged out. The UK got the choice to take on the Euro and declined but Scotland will never get an option of what currency to use within the union. The UK went to an illegal war in the Gulf supported only by Blair's regime but what the heck Scots soldiers were dragged over there and died needlessly in what has since been proven as a war based on lies.

How would a Brexit look that allowed Scotland to remain but stay as part of the UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

How would a Brexit look that allowed Scotland to remain but stay as part of the UK?

Well that is quite an irrelevance as it would never happen.

I am ambivalent about EU membership. For me independence from the rest of the UK is everything. I am not willing to put obstacles in the way of that goal as in will only vote yes to independence if we do not join EU. Yes voters have to focus on the golden goal - independence for Scotland. Vote yes on that and take it from there about our next moves. Granted I have no doubt an independent Scotland may operate differently is some areas than I would like but self-governance and freedom from Westminster-rule would outweigh any disappointments by a country mile.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Well that is quite an irrelevance as it would never happen.

It couldn’t happen. Not without ignoring that the majority of people in Scotland voted to remain part of the UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It couldn’t happen. Not without ignoring that the majority of people in Scotland voted to remain part of the UK. 

Yes that as well and is why we have to concentrate on returning a Yes vote first on independence without thinking about too many provisios of what happens thereafter. Banishment of Westminster rule has to be seen as the ultimate goal and nothing should stand in its way.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Seems to be he is going on the assertion that the RUK will stop trading with a politically Independent Scotland through spite thus costing them £62 billion a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DXproSNXcAApAKI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 7:42 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Who is he?

Just another tedious american gobshite from what I can see. Guy clearly cant even look after himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 8:57 PM, thplinth said:

There is a big contradiction here.

The Scottish Nationalist Party is hugely pro EU.

The EU = the dissolution of Nation states in all but name.

Nationalist Party? You ken that's not their name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×