The Brexit Thread - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Interesting seeing the centre left argue for more globalisation and to see western wages driven down to Eastern European levels, at least that’s one interpretation of what’s happening now. Like watching the French working class argue for Macron. Utterly bizarre at times. 

As unpopular as it is Brexit is proving one thing, democracy doesn’t exist, you’re telling a very small majority of people that your vote is meaningless if you vote the wrong way and you wonder  why sonw people vote UKIP? Staggering that Indy voters can’t take a step back here and see this. 

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

As unpopular as it is Brexit is proving one thing, democracy doesn’t exist, you’re telling a very small majority of people that your vote is meaningless if you vote the wrong way and you wonder  why sonw people vote UKIP? Staggering that Indy voters can’t take a step back here and see this. 

Ok, indulge me. Explain to me how to date Brexit is proving that democracy doesn't exist.

8 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

But it also works both ways. Those who back and voted for Brexit float around on other forums such as BBC's HYS and elsewhere and feel it is easy game to call independence backers separatists and divisive or cybernats also racists and English haters is used. Excuse me but Scotland looking to leave the UK is something on a far lesser scale than UK leaving the EU but whatever you do don't try telling Brexiteers that. It seems they have one rule for one and one rule for another. 

55 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Excuse me but Scotland looking to leave the UK is something on a far lesser scale than UK leaving the EU 

Really? It takes a fairly bizarre reading of history to suggest that the dissolution of a 300-year-old political union - a nation state with all the shared cultural and economic elements that have developed with it - is on a lesser scale than leaving an economic grouping that has only really attempted a strong political focus since the early 1990s. This doesn't mean that dissolving the UK is either impossible or undesirable, it just means that your statement is myopic.

Edited by DonnyTJS

31 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Really? It takes a fairly bizarre reading of history to suggest that the dissolution of a 300-year-old political union - a nation state with all the shared cultural and economic elements that have developed with it - is on a lesser scale than leaving an economic grouping that has only really attempted a strong political focus since the early 1990s. This doesn't mean that dissolving the UK is either impossible or undesirable, it just means that your statement is myopic.

Lesser scale on side of racist calls. Brexiteers love labelling Scots who want independence from Westminster as anti-English. What a dim view. And silly to boot given that the UK leaving the EU is severing ties with far more nationalities so by their mentality equates to being anti-German, French, Spanish, Italian, Belgian etc etc etc. 

And sorry but Scotland has its own legal and education system compared to rest of the UK. Also it differs socially and culturally as well as politically from rest of UK. We share different views on key issues and politically whereas Toryism is the norm elsewhere it is over half a century since the Tories were the most popular party in Scotland. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

There’s a large number people on both sides who are as bad as each other. I followed both sides of the last two refs on social media to see the difference in opinions and reasonings but a large percentage were sad bastards just shit flinging names about to the opposition like school bairns

16 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

There’s a large number people on both sides who are as bad as each other. I followed both sides of the last two refs on social media to see the difference in opinions and reasonings but a large percentage were sad bastards just shit flinging names about to the opposition like school bairns

There is. I liken it to two sets of rival football supporters trying to come up with the most venomous chat about the other. 

As I see it Brexiteers seek to leave the EU as they see it as having constraints and is interfering in too many issues. Fair enough. Those mirror the same reasons  Scots want out of the union. 

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

After Brexit will every foreign player need a work permit? Just a thought I had about the possible impact on football?

If it was up to me I’d bring in the three-foreigner rule. Get EVERY club playing the young laddies 

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If it was up to me I’d bring in the three-foreigner rule. Get EVERY club playing the young laddies 

From what I understand current EU nationals would be ok if there's a deal, not sure about new ones coming in though.

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

Or we don't have an agreed way of measuring this. I'd use your scale but perhaps CC has another one.

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Or we don't have an agreed way of measuring this. I'd use your scale but perhaps CC has another one.

Then there is the scale used by Brexiteers who would rather give up the Union for the sake Brexit. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But it also works both ways. Those who back and voted for Brexit float around on other forums such as BBC's HYS and elsewhere and feel it is easy game to call independence backers separatists and divisive or cybernats also racists and English haters is used. Excuse me but Scotland looking to leave the UK is something on a far lesser scale than UK leaving the EU but whatever you do don't try telling Brexiteers that. It seems they have one rule for one and one rule for another. 

Divide and conquer. Both votes have been fantastic for this. 

Did anyone see The Andrew Marr Show on Sunday? Made me laugh listening to chancellor Jeremy Hunt having a pop at Airbus for pulling out of the UK due to Brexit. According to him they should have got behind and backed Theresa May. Why exactly? This is a European company that is in a profit-based business so why exactly should they be expected to support Theresa May?

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why exactly? This is a European company that is in a profit-based business so why exactly should they be expected to support Theresa May?

The MOD let them opt-out of a contract they had with us regarding the A400M it's delivery and features etc.

I suspect that will be the reasoning only thing i can think of.