The Brexit Thread - Page 202 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

My wife had an interesting conversation with her niece today who has just qualified as a nurse in India and had originally planned to go to Canada to follow her sister.  Now instead, once she has 6 months experience and required IELTS qualification she will be coming to the UK.   The reason for this is the NHS are paying for visas, flights, month wage in advance plus they have to offer a minimum wage to qualify for tier 2 of c.£30k for London nurses!  

Going be interesting to see the response by a certain section of the Brexit support to regaining control of our borders via seeing the battle bus money spent on replacing cheaper white migrants with dearer brown ones.  

4 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Not doubting it and if I had to put a fiver on it I'd go along with Wishart just being dick too.  Although we don't know, even if there is a back story it isn't defensible anyway as it is so incomprehensibly foolish he may as well have just drawn a massive target on his front and back. It's beginning to reek of the arrogance New Labour had.   

The thing I think is a bit suspect about the original email is that he is clearly speaking in a personal capacity - that's obvious from the text - but by signing it off as :

"Lothians Member, SNP Policy Development Committee
Convener, Scottish Currency Group"

he is trying to either give the impression that his opinion should be given weight as he is someone of importance or that - and this is even worse - he is speaking in an official capacity and is representative of those groups.   Incidentally, I could be wrong but I think the SNP Currency group is just a self appointed talking shop and has no official standing.

Wishart's response is a bit over the top but tbh, while I'd like to think I would be more diplomatic, I think my response would be along similar lines, particularly to someone who is clearly not a constituent.

BTW, the perils of hitting Reply All, rather than Reply.   I don't think you need to be a genius to work out who the MP that leaked it might be though.

Edited by aaid

11 minutes ago, daviebee said:

The fact that Wishart chose Reply to All smacked of running to his pals shouting, "Look at me sorting this guy out."

He's an absolute bell-end.  Put cash on him being the first SNP member to accept a peerage.

I think the party constitution actually forbids any membership of the Lords so he'd likely be expelled from the party if he ever did. 

Donald Stewart was offered a peerage upon his retirement as an MP in 1987 but he correctly declined. 

20 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Majority of people who voted for it probably don't give a shit what's in it as long as it has 'freedom of movement' included.

I think those who wanted sovereignty will have got what they wanted, but I wouldn't trust the Govt on immigration.

Put another way, the ERG had one dogged aim and they got it. But Johnson & Gove made many other promises many of which they may not have believed in themselves and which may not work out.

Edited by exile

So Gibraltar to get a special deal with the EU, so will be in Schengen.

So EU citizen can pass straight in while Brits will have to go through passport control.

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Brexit gift to the people of Dover as they are delivered a letter from the transport minister on New Years Eve telling them a 1200 truck park is getting built on their doorstep. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/01/residents-furious-brexit-lorry-park-kent-village

That does not surprise me in the slightest. It is like 2014 all over again. Wait until the deal is sealed and then renege on promises immediately without any shame or conscience.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Jimmy is about one thing and one thing only and that is jimmy buchan,,

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

My wifes work had Seafood shipments delayed or stopped at the chanel and for the record her work were always against brexit. If the snp play their cards right the northeast will turn nationalist again, where it belongs 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Note the unionist in him still comes out as equally blames Westminster and the Scottish Government.

Poor peppa pig 😕

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-55583244

The UK sealed a trade deal with the European Union (EU) on 24 December that was billed as preserving its zero-tariff and zero-quota access to the bloc's single market. 

But major retailers that use the UK as a distribution hub for European business could face possible tariffs if they re-export goods to the EU. 

On Friday, M&S said the new trade arrangements were creating "very complex administrative processes". The red tape burden, along with potential tariffs on some exports "will significantly impact our businesses" in Ireland, the Czech Republic, and France, the retailer said.

The retailer added that the free trade agreement with the EU would not mean extra tariffs on its core UK sales. 

"Tariff free does not feel like tariff free when you read the fine print," M&S's chief executive Steve Rowe told Reuters on Thursday, ahead of the retailer's trading update on Friday.

"For big businesses there will be time-consuming workarounds but for a lot of others this means paying tariffs or rebasing into the EU."

Mr Rowe said the chain's popular Peppa Pig sweets, made in Germany, were one product that could face tax rises.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:54 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Note the unionist in him still comes out as equally blames Westminster and the Scottish Government.

They are trying to blame shipping delays on the scottish government, i am in no way an expert In exports but would the legislation not lie with westminster