The Brexit Thread - Page 191 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Synopsis of UK position

A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted,

"Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.

"I am," replied the man, "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help so far."

The man below responded, "You must be a Brexiteer."

"I am," replied the balloonist, "but how did you know."

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is, you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

For four and a half years the Tories have prospered by stringing us along on mutually incompatible promises.

No matter whether you think Brexit is a good idea or not, it was never ever going to fulfil all the promises that were made.

They were either going to have to surrender Northern Ireland, shaft the ERG and the fisheries, or shaft everyone, with a no deal Brexit.

Right up to this week - to give them and their media chums credit - they've been juggling these, as if they were all possible, but now we're in for the reckoning.

Now this week, they've finally caved in and surrendered NI to Brussels/Dublin influence and a customs border with GB, and in a few days it looks as if they'll finally cave in to either the ERG or the EU. How long before they're rumbled?

30 minutes ago, exile said:

For four and a half years the Tories have prospered by stringing us along on mutually incompatible promises.

No matter whether you think Brexit is a good idea or not, it was never ever going to fulfil all the promises that were made.

They were either going to have to surrender Northern Ireland, shaft the ERG and the fisheries, or shaft everyone, with a no deal Brexit.

Right up to this week - to give them and their media chums credit - they've been juggling these, as if they were all possible, but now we're in for the reckoning.

Now this week, they've finally caved in and surrendered NI to Brussels/Dublin influence and a customs border with GB, and in a few days it looks as if they'll finally cave in to either the ERG or the EU. How long before they're rumbled?

Surely it's the EU that are not playing ball and it's them that are not giving us a deal?? 

2 hours ago, davy-hay said:

Surely it's the EU that are not playing ball and it's them that are not giving us a deal?? 

What I said has nothing to do with the EU, and has nothing to do with whether you are for or against Brexit.

The point is the Tories have managed to string the nation along with promises for things that can't all come true. When they collapse into a single option that only a minority wanted, then there are going to a lot of bitter, angry, disappointed people.

The signs are already big and out there.

We know BJ and the Tories are bare-faced liars even when it comes to our livelihood. The latest one being him saying the UK will still have a good Australian-type deal with the EU. Last night on Question Time the former Australian PM who negotiated their deal insists that deal is not good at all. Tough shit Tories your lies get exposed again.

Under WTO rules, supermarkets and other importers would have to pay substantial tariffs on many foods they bring in from the EU.

Meat and dairy products face particularly high tariffs, but many other areas including fruit and vegetables would be also affected.

As an extreme case, the London School of Economics estimates that some speciality cheeses such as halloumi and roquefort could be 55% more expensive.

(Tariffs don't just apply to food - cars made in the EU, for instance, would attract a 10% tariff. But food and drinks are the area where the highest tariffs apply.)

No deal means we use WTO rules those rules mean we pay more.

On cheaper

Leaving the EU means the UK has the freedom to agree new trade deals with non-EU countries, which could bring down tariffs and give British shoppers access to cheaper food from countries like the US or Brazil. However, trade deals take a long time to negotiate.

The UK can cut tariffs without doing trade deals, but WTO rules say it has to offer the same terms to every country that doesn't have a trade deal. So it could cut tariffs on EU imports to zero, as long as it cut tariffs to zero across the board.

That would make many foods cheaper, but it would be devastating for many UK farmers who would struggle to compete with cheap imports.

Edited by phart

Fatty Johnson is a dishonest liar. Easiest deal on earth he said. Now he's re-branding No deal as an Australian style deal and trying to sell it as a positive outcome. You couldn't make it up. Make no mistake about it - leaving without a deal is the same as the Tories going back on their biggest manifesto promise in last year's general election.

The clueless cretins who believed his lies in 2016 and last year will no doubt assume that an Australian style deal is the same as the Australian points based immigration system. I don't blame the EU for sticking to their position and protecting the integrity of their club. The UK will be isolated. It's businesses I feel sorry for having to deal with all the carnage.