The Brexit Thread - Page 189 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Gove ’ I think people across the EU will respect International law’. 

Why the fook should they when he and his cronies turn a blind eye to it whenever it suits them. 

It is the UK government's way. One rule for them and one rule for everyone else. They have a deluded sense of entitlement to do as they please without any say so from anyone else.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is the UK government's way. One rule for them and one rule for everyone else. They have a deluded sense of entitlement to do as they please without any say so from anyone else.

I remember reading the Flashman books and really one of the main threads of it was taking the piss out this juxtaposition of the British Empire in Victorian times.  Essentially if Johnny F. didn't adhere to the rules of cricket then they were savages or lacked decorum whereas if good old blighty bent the rules it was all jolly japes because they'd written them in the first place.  

3 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I remember reading the Flashman books and really one of the main threads of it was taking the piss out this juxtaposition of the British Empire in Victorian times.  Essentially if Johnny F. didn't adhere to the rules of cricket then they were savages or lacked decorum whereas if good old blighty bent the rules it was all jolly japes because they'd written them in the first place.  

Yes that sounds about right. 

I suppose that is why being in the EU was not for them. They weren't in the position they demand - issue out the orders and everyone kow tows to them.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes that sounds about right. 

I suppose that is why being in the EU was not for them. They weren't in the position they demand - issue out the orders and everyone kow tows to them.

I've still got loads of mates down there and they're genuinely sound but chuck a Royal Wedding, World Cup or big VE day in and it's like some sort of switch has been flicked.

Maradona's a good example - cheating Johnny F bastard latin American trickery can't be trusted to play in the spirit of the game like they do and are still going on about it 30+ years later.  They spent 90 minutes kicking the absolute shit out of him anytime they managed to get near him - jolly japes and 'they don't like it up em!' forgotten about pretty much straight after.      

45 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I've still got loads of mates down there and they're genuinely sound but chuck a Royal Wedding, World Cup or big VE day in and it's like some sort of switch has been flicked.

Maradona's a good example - cheating Johnny F bastard latin American trickery can't be trusted to play in the spirit of the game like they do and are still going on about it 30+ years later.  They spent 90 minutes kicking the absolute shit out of him anytime they managed to get near him - jolly japes and 'they don't like it up em!' forgotten about pretty much straight after.      

Yup and yet when Owen dived to win a penalty against Argentina a few years later it was all fair game.

It's a bit surreal hearing so British/Tory/Unionist politicians repeatedly pontificating about the importance of being a sovereign, independent nation, on no account dictated to by an overbearing external neighboour. While at the same time dictating to Scotland and denying any right to sovereignty or independence. 

Just now, exile said:

It's a bit surreal hearing so British/Tory/Unionist politicians repeatedly pontificating about the importance of being a sovereign, independent nation, on no account dictated to by an overbearing external neighboour. While at the same time dictating to Scotland and denying any right to sovereignty or independence. 

Well its in the British DNA - one of imperialism harking back to out-dated thinking of we'll rule and you do as your told sort of mentality. The vast majority of the countries that made up the former British Empire which became the Commonwealth ended British rule to become independent and are all the better for it too. However, the deluded Bri Nats still believe the Rule Brittania garbage and idealogy that Briain is any sort of a super power in this world and can still tell countries what they can and cannot do. 

They need to wake up and smell the coffee. Britain no longer makes its own cars, electrical equipment, mines its own coal, builds its own ships, manufactures steel etc etc (thanks to Maggie). The country relies on other countries for these services/goods. My how the mighty have fallen.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well its in the British DNA - one of imperialism harking back to out-dated thinking of we'll rule and you do as your told sort of mentality. The vast majority of the countries that made up the former British Empire which became the Commonwealth ended British rule to become independent and are all the better for it too. However, the deluded Bri Nats still believe the Rule Brittania garbage and idealogy that Briain is any sort of a super power in this world and can still tell countries what they can and cannot do. 

They need to wake up and smell the coffee. Britain no longer makes its own cars, electrical equipment, mines its own coal, builds its own ships, manufactures steel etc etc (thanks to Maggie). The country relies on other countries for these services/goods. My how the mighty have fallen.

The only super power status symbol they have left to cling to is the nuclear deterrent, which could be sunk with Scottish independence.  No wonder they're so desperate to cling on. 

Brexit looks damahing enough for economically - which is not everything, true - but their way of withdrawing (bad grace and illegality and cavailer attitude to NI) could lost them their biggest allies, who (for first time in my lifetime) now have no particular interest in the UK sticking together.

So the Tories are steamrollering through the Internal Market Bill that threatens devolution and breaks international law.

Haven't seen who voted for it. But no one in Scotland seems able to stop them.

Is that right that Labour abstained, so failed to defend devolution?

And if I'm following correctly, the Conservative & Unionist party just voted to in effect put a border down the Irish Sea? It's the start of customs checks going to / from Northern Ireland? The beginning of end of Union?

(Hard to quickly find hard facts, media hardly spelling it out)

Edited by exile

Northern Ireland to get "the best of both worlds"

Gove won't say why the rest of the UK can't have the best of both worlds.

He has taken the first step in detaching Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.

Edited by exile

47 minutes ago, exile said:

Northern Ireland to get "the best of both worlds"

Gove won't say why the rest of the UK can't have the best of both worlds.

He has taken the first step in detaching Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.

That'll play well at indyref next year.if nI have this , so can Scotland.

3 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

Fear not folks. Boris flying to Brussels to have dinner with Ursula and sort out the Brexit differences.  Guess this is him readying himself for 'we made the effort and were willing to negotiate but those nasty EU folks wouldn't budge' line. 

Either that or he'll cave in and come back with a deal and it'll be 'Boris saves the day!'.  I think it's all a piece of theatre.

Brexit is going to be an economic disaster for the majority. Internal assessments are warning of "systemic economic crisis" they're worried about actual unrest obviously made worse due to the current Covid situation.

Academically leaving the EU has really fucked up that sector as well with no access to the huge shared pool of funding.  The reserach funding is 19,000 jobs which is 4 times the entire fishing industry that gets brought up and contributes about 6 times the money.