The Brexit Thread - Page 186 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Your posting history is there for all to see and people can make their own minds up about your views based on that.  

Actually when you accuse someone of that you should quote the post to back it up. But you never do for some reason.

One paragraph from the paper above.

No discussion of the Lobby would be complete without an examination of one of its most powerful weapons: the charge of anti-semitism. Anyone who criticises Israel’s actions or argues that pro-Israel groups have significant influence over US Middle Eastern policy – an influence AIPAC celebrates – stands a good chance of being labelled an anti-semite. Indeed, anyone who merely claims that there is an Israel Lobby runs the risk of being charged with anti-semitism, even though the Israeli media refer to America’s ‘Jewish Lobby’. In other words, the Lobby first boasts of its influence and then attacks anyone who calls attention to it. It’s a very effective tactic: anti-semitism is something no one wants to be accused of.

Some would say it is a bit of a cunt move as well.

Israel and guys like Murdoch choose who the candidates for US President and UK PM can be and have done for decades . Yet some will lie about it regardless and throw the tired and trusted abuse at anyone refusing their bull. 
Fucking tiresome but so predictable.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

You don’t think there’s a significant Irish influence in US Politics?

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying there's more a Israeli/Jewish influence in American politics.

Israel have a massive influence over the White House, Ireland does not.

Yes there are plenty of yanks in high players who are 4th generation Irish or whatever but IMO it's not even comparable to the Israeli lobby.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying there's more a Israeli/Jewish influence in American politics.

Israel have a massive influence over the White House, Ireland does not.

Yes there are plenty of yanks in high players who are 4th generation Irish or whatever but IMO it's not even comparable to the Israeli lobby.

The mocking emojis suggests otherwise.  

The fundamental difference here is one of domestic and foreign policy.  Israel has an influence on US foreign policy limited to the middle-east, primarily as it’s its key regional ally - that’s obviously important but is one specific area.   I’m not aware of any Israeli influence over US foreign policy wrt, for example, Venezuela or even the EU.   Israel also has limited to no influence on US domestic policy.  The Irish-American caucus on the other hand has a massive influence on US domestic policy

The separation of powers in the US means that the executive can have a pretty much free hand in foreign policy - subject to some constraints - but is much more limited when it comes to domestic policy where the power lies much more with the legislature and the states.    Congress would have to pass any trade bill that Trump did with the UK and they’ve already put us under notice that they won’t do that if the UKG runs roughshod over Ireland. 

5 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Israel and guys like Murdoch choose who the candidates for ... UK PM can be and have done for decades .

How did that work with, say, the race to replace Cameron, and them all knocking each other out or falling over (including Johnson unilaterally dropping out) so that only May was left; and then the process of removing May and replacing her with Johnson. Can you clarify which were down to Israel and which down to guys like Murdoch?

18 hours ago, exile said:

How did that work with, say, the race to replace Cameron, and them all knocking each other out or falling over (including Johnson unilaterally dropping out) so that only May was left; and then the process of removing May and replacing her with Johnson. Can you clarify which were down to Israel and which down to guys like Murdoch?

Not sure your point is. All the combatants in the Tory civil war were/are unconditional Friends of Israel * . I would suggest we are now closer aligned with the far right in Israel and the US than ever. 
Smirky Patel is Israel’s. 

* Friends of Israel meaning not an unconditional support for the existence of Israel as I have , rather the corruption as with the anti-semitism accusations that are used for any critics of Jewish Supremacy and far right fascistic practices. 

‘by way of deceit ‘ as a policy that is becoming increasingly popular .

Edited by Shaundy
Wanted to get Smirky in

6 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Not sure your point is. All the combatants in the Tory civil war were/are unconditional Friends of Israel * . I would suggest we are now closer aligned with the far right in Israel and the US than ever. 
Smirky Patel is Israel’s. 

* Friends of Israel meaning not an unconditional support for the existence of Israel as I have , rather the corruption as with the anti-semitism accusations that are used for any critics of Jewish Supremacy and far right fascistic practices. 

‘by way of deceit ‘ as a policy that is becoming increasingly popular .

I just asked a question.  Your seem to answer by saying that all the Tory candidates were/are Friends of Israel. Which may be true, but is it significant?

I suppose my point was that the process of decision-making looked pretty unpredictable from the outside, what with Gove suddenly turning the knife on Johnson, Johnson equally suddenly dropping out then later popping up as runaway favourite.  I mean it didn't exactly look like a conspiracy to install any one particular person in Downing St otherwise "they" would have ensured Johnon got in first time around?

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Absolutely no Irish influence in US politics then - Biden, of course has his own Irish antecedents, from Ballina, Mayo.

Bonnie Greer, brought up in Chicago, was also quite vocal on that issue as well if I recall. Basically, according to her the US stance is very much don't fuck with Ireland. I may be paraphrasing slightly. 

10 minutes ago, 86glebestreet said:

Next time Biden speaks he will call it the good Monday agreement 

He may well do but you miss the obvious point. The democrats - one way or another - will block any US-UK trade deal under these conditions.