The Brexit Thread - Page 182 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

On 2/1/2020 at 8:40 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

Because they(unionists) would win as it stands

Possibly. But there is no guarantee and I dont think he will take that chance. Plus it would make him look weak if he backed down so soon after refusing  . 
I dont think there is a chance in hell of him agreeing in the next few months  but I agree its probably a good thing. 

I've popped into this thread now we are out the EU and in the transition period.

To manage the mob. I voted Remain.  I donated to Remain.  I even campaigned on phone and door chapping. I always classed myself as a Euro sceptic but shat it as campaign went along.  In Glasgow it was Remain in better off areas to ambivalence and Leave in worse off areas.  Pretty low turnout.  The grievance and blame has been packaged, owned and marketed by Scottish nationalism and a First Minister who is so proud of her European identity she joined a small anti-EU party in her teens, has never lived or worked in Europe and doesn't even holiday there.  Always cringe as politicians do a "staycation" for politics.

Labour, Lib Dems and SNP royally fucked up granting a General Election.  Boris was boxed in and they let him off.  We could have had a soft brexit be it Mays deal or even closer to Norway but the opposition failed and will be judged in history books. 

Unfortunately the electorate has been blinded by our politics of slogans and flags across the UK.  Any real Remainer/Pro European should have struggled to vote for a nationalist party that allowed a GE to be called.  The SNP helped "drag the Scottish people out." 

If indyref2 is called the voters who stay away at elections will be micro targeted to swing it as they were by Yes movement.  However do you think some ordinary punter in a scheme will be attracted to higher immigration, €uro currency, Donald Tusk, VAT on childrens clothes and the "woke" movement of transgender, vegans and the luvvies this time?  Events have moved the political spectrum. 

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

I've popped into this thread now we are out the EU and in the transition period.

To manage the mob. I voted Remain.  I donated to Remain.  I even campaigned on phone and door chapping. I always classed myself as a Euro sceptic but shat it as campaign went along.  In Glasgow it was Remain in better off areas to ambivalence and Leave in worse off areas.  Pretty low turnout.  The grievance and blame has been packaged, owned and marketed by Scottish nationalism and a First Minister who is so proud of her European identity she joined a small anti-EU party in her teens, has never lived or worked in Europe and doesn't even holiday there.  Always cringe as politicians do a "staycation" for politics.

Labour, Lib Dems and SNP royally fucked up granting a General Election.  Boris was boxed in and they let him off.  We could have had a soft brexit be it Mays deal or even closer to Norway but the opposition failed and will be judged in history books. 

Unfortunately the electorate has been blinded by our politics of slogans and flags across the UK.  Any real Remainer/Pro European should have struggled to vote for a nationalist party that allowed a GE to be called.  The SNP helped "drag the Scottish people out." 

If indyref2 is called the voters who stay away at elections will be micro targeted to swing it as they were by Yes movement.  However do you think some ordinary punter in a scheme will be attracted to higher immigration, €uro currency, Donald Tusk, VAT on childrens clothes and the "woke" movement of transgender, vegans and the luvvies this time?  Events have moved the political spectrum. 

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

When did the SNP do that? I think I might have missed it.

Just now, Orraloon said:

When did the SNP do that? I think I might have missed it.

He will say anything rather than acknowledge "Vote No to stay in the EU"

Just now, Alan said:

When it voted for a General Election 2019.

Except they didn't do that. They abstained. One of them voted against for fairly sensible reasons. Even if they had 3 times as many MPs and all of them had voted against, it would have made no difference. Which is one of the main reasons we need independence.

8 hours ago, Alan said:

When it voted for a General Election 2019.

Can you show your working for that?

As Im so helpful, I will help you out....

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/734#notrecorded 

Still, you can beat the SNP bad drum all day long. Incidentally your post doesn't read very Alanish, its like a different person wrote it this time.

11 hours ago, Alan said:

A lot of that will happen anyway. The conservatives might talk a good game on immigration but that’s it, all talk. 

The swing from no to yes is pretty small, what 200k voters? If EU nationals get a vote, and a small % of English voters change their mind, yes wins. 

14 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Except they didn't do that. They abstained. One of them voted against for fairly sensible reasons. Even if they had 3 times as many MPs and all of them had voted against, it would have made no difference. Which is one of the main reasons we need independence.

You keep trying to wash your hands of this but the SNP did help Johnson out of the trap he was in.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50194685

What do the Lib Dems and SNP hope to achieve?

Analysis, by BBC political reporter Jessica Parker

The Liberal Democrats and the SNP have a few things in common:

1. They think they could do well in an early election.
  2. They don't like Brexit.
  3. And they don't want to be seen dancing to Boris Johnson's tune.

So they've composed their own plan for a snap poll on... 9 December.

One source suggested that the ever-so-slightly earlier date could particularly help the Liberal Democrats, because more students would still be in their university towns on the 9th than on 12 December.

But the bigger picture is that these two parties might be worried that if Brussels thinks that Parliament isn't actually going to use a longer extension to do anything meaningful, the EU will grant a shorter one instead... designed to apply pressure on MPs to approve the PM's deal.

So the Lib Dems and the SNP are saying, "give us that longer delay and we will work to break the deadlock".

Their plan, as it stands, hinges on No 10 being interested. Over to Boris Johnson...

That was published on Oct 27th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Parliamentary_General_Election_Act_2019

Background[edit]

On the weekend of 26 October 2019 the Liberal Democrats and the Scottish National Party proposed introducing a bill in the House of Commons to hold a general election on 9 December 2019.[4] This proposal was initially rejected by the Boris Johnson government as a "gimmick", owing to a vote on an early election under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (FTPA) which was to be held on 28 October 2019.

Two previous attempts in September to get a favourable vote for an early election had failed, and the government said it would keep its options open should the third early election motion fail to pass.[5] It did fail, as the required two-thirds majority was not achieved, leaving the government still unable to trigger an election.

On 29 October, Prime Minister Boris Johnson introduced an election bill to the House of Commons to circumvent the FTPA and trigger a general election. Only a simple majority of MPs were needed for the Bill to pass. The election date set in the Bill was Thursday, 12 December 2019. After amendments to change the proposed date were voted down, the Commons approved the Bill by a vote of 438 to 20.[6]

So two days later Johnson is out the trap and heading for a Thatcher sized majority.

The SNP win a few meaningless extra seats and come out of it with Sweet Fuck All.

The SNP played a big part in letting BJ off the hook. He was fucked and going nowhere fast, heading into Theresa May territory and you conspired to 'break the deadlock'. Aye well done on that move... genius.

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

Can you show your working for that?

As Im so helpful, I will help you out....

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/734#notrecorded 

Still, you can beat the SNP bad drum all day long. Incidentally your post doesn't read very Alanish, its like a different person wrote it this time.

When I read it I honestly thought... he's cobbled that together from other posters above. For example I think it was me he copied the out of the box thing from.Strange...

If the SNP had done a deal with BJ during his darkest hours (when he was running back and forth TM style and getting told to fuck off every time, and every time diminishing in increments in the public's eyes as a result, it was death of thousand cuts, he was in trouble and he knew it) then we would have the same deal on BREXIT we have now, the power to call an indyref2 at the time of our choosing, BJ contained within a minority government and years to go for the public to get even more pissed off with him before the next GE...

Instead the SNP help 'break the deadlock' (for break the deadlock read 'help BJ escape the killbox'). Result: no power to call indyref2, whopping tory majority, BREXIT anyway...

Wings is not wrong about this one. I honestly think the SNP were happy to gain a few meaningless MPs (empire build) and happy to accept a situation where there was zero chance of indyref2 happening and where they could blame the tories for it (that they helped out the box). Remember this is now likely to last 10 years minimum. Labour are not going to have it together enough to defeat the tories at the next GE. That is a broken party and hopelessly divided. You've let the tories in and they are in now for a long time.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

If the SNP had done a deal with BJ

There is not a chance in hell of any English party doing any deal that threatens the loss of their cash cow regardless of whether the SNP thought it possible.

Thats number 1

Number 2 -  step back and think about how that would have played out with the media in Scotland remembering that a vast number of SNP voters are previous Labour voters

Its pish and Wings is a mile out on this one

6 hours ago, thplinth said:

You keep trying to wash your hands of this but the SNP did help Johnson out of the trap he was in.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50194685

That was published on Oct 27th.

So two days later Johnson is out the trap and heading for a Thatcher sized majority.

The SNP win a few meaningless extra seats and come out of it with Sweet Fuck All.

The SNP played a big part in letting BJ off the hook. He was fucked and going nowhere fast, heading into Theresa May territory and you conspired to 'break the deadlock'. Aye well done on that move... genius.

On the 29th of October 438 MPs voted in favour of Boris's bill. I thought it was 437 but could be wrong on that bit? Not a single one of those votes came from an SNP MP. 

47 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Heaven knows what will happen to Britain. The government certainly doesn’t. But I have a worrying feeling that instead of sacrificing the Tory Party to save the country, we may have sacrificed the country to save the Tory Party. 

Interesting, is this not quite contrary to what he usually writes?

While P Hitchens is undoubtably a very talented writer, debater and conversationalist, theres something quite dislikable about him. He certainly comes across as very forthright, and closed to opinions that don't agree with his.