The Brexit Thread - Page 170 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I am assuming he wants an independent Scotland and to leave the EU? In which case, his thinking is very logical. Plenty other folk will be doing the same. There is probably no point in trying to persuade them to do otherwise, as their reasoning is perfectly sound.

He wants an indy scotland, and voted leave but he is not a hardened leave voter, last election he voted snp through gritted teeth as it was post brexit, that when he stated he could vote for a party with unionist in its title

3 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Exactly. Hampden Loon comes away with nearly as much bollocks as PIAK. 😂

So where did the swing come from at the last GE? Its idiotic assumptions like that will lose the snp mire and more votes, ask Labour how that worked for them when the took voted for granted 

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So where did the swing come from at the last GE? Its idiotic assumptions like that will lose the snp mire and more votes, ask Labour how that worked for them when the took voted for granted 

You need to stop telling porkies though. You read like a Unionist plant. One of those fake profiles set up to infiltrate. 
If someone is a dyed in the wool SNP supporter their whole life and crave Independence then they simply do not turn to Tory. Stop telling blatant fibs. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by WCTA

1 minute ago, WCTA said:

You need to stop telling porkies though. You read like a Unionist plant. One of those fake profiles set up to infiltrate. 
If someone is a dyed in the wool SNP supporter their whole life and crave Independence then they simply do not turn to Tory. Stop telling blatant fibs. 🤦‍♂️

Read my posts back to prior 2014, i am consistent in what i say, no plant and as pro-scotland as you will ever get 

13 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Exactly. Hampden Loon comes away with nearly as much bollocks as PIAK. 😂

Cmon now, he’s not that bad.

Hampden Loon comes across as nothing but honest I think, agree to disagree with him but least he offers some respite to the SNP cult and genuinely wants independence.

Edited by ParisInAKilt

4 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Sorry bud, but that is just plain wrong. I have spoken to loads of folk who are saying something similar. Never voted Tory in their lives and hate them with a vengeance. But they see voting Tory this time round as the only way to "get brexit done". They even see it as helping the independence cause in the long run. 

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sorry bud, but that is just plain wrong. I have spoken to loads of folk who are saying something similar. Never voted Tory in their lives and hate them with a vengeance. But they see voting Tory this time round as the only way to "get brexit done". They even see it as helping the independence cause in the long run. 

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. You don’t “hate Tories with a vengeance” then give them your vote. If somebody tells you that then they never hated them at all in the first place.

That would be like Ormond suddenly marching up and doon the road in an orange sash. 😄

Edited by WCTA

26 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My mother is another one who wont vote snp next election, she wont vote tory and would probably still vote for indy, maybe a local thing god knows.

To be fair that is a far more logical stance by your mum. To go from beingf a staunch SNP voter to a Tory voter is akin to being a lifelong fan of Celtic and giving it all up to support Rangers.

12 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Just to put this out there, i am a snp member and voter, As no one else in the party appreciates or has highlighted  the dangers of the party's current EU stance i feel i need to try make folk aware that some folk are being turned away by it

It's just a numbers game. Sometimes you need to risk alienating some minorities in the hope of picking up loads of votes elsewhere. To be fair the SNP have been very pro EU for a few decades now, so it's not like they a few changing their stance. If leaving the EU is so important to some folk then maybe the SNP is not the party for them?

I have yet to hear a logical argument as to why fishermen think leaving the EU will be good for them. All I tend to hear is stuff like "take back control of our own waters". OK, so, they can catch as much fish as they want but what are they going to do with all that extra fish that they catch?

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be fair that is a far more logical stance by your mum. To go from beingf a staunch SNP voter to a Tory voter is akin to being a lifelong fan of Celtic and giving it all up to support Rangers.

Nobody should follow a political party like they do a football team. Unless that team is Greenock Morton ...

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

How would losing seats to the Tories help independence? 

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

How would losing seats to the Tories help independence? 

It "Gets brexit done". There is currently no mandate for another indyref. That doesn't kick in until brexit happens. No brexit, no indyref. I'm not saying that I agree with them but I can understand their reasoning.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is merely an example of going from the sublime to ridiculous ie going from one belief to another belief on the opposite end of the political spectrum.

Not really, as Orraloon pointed it can be a numbers game, while political parties can change as well as your own political views.

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not really, as Orraloon pointed it can be a numbers game, while political parties can change as well as your own political views.

Sorry but not going from staunch SNP to Tory. What have those two parties ever had in common? Nothing. What type of political beliefs do they share? Nothing. What type of political policies have they in common? Very little. So why that leap?

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but not going from staunch SNP to Tory. What have those two parties ever had in common? Nothing. What type of political beliefs do they share? Nothing. What type of political policies have they in common? Very little. So why that leap?

Probably more in common than what they don’t. Politicians are for the watching in general. 

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It "Gets brexit done". There is currently no mandate for another indyref. That doesn't kick in until brexit happens. No brexit, no indyref. I'm not saying that I agree with them but I can understand their reasoning.

Sorry wasn’t meaning at coming over confrontational but my melon medley at lunch was off so you bore the brunt. 

I don’t agree with it but I don’t really understand the logic either.  SNP returned over 50% MP’s at last election but that doesn’t seem to have been enough to push for a mandate for another referendum with 50+ seemingly the benchmark so providing more Tory MPs is detrimental to that from the off. 

The other thing is Scotland voted remain which is essentially ignored as we’re viewed as a region.  Whether we vote Tory or not at the next GE we’re getting Tory anyway nailed on and all a few more Scottish MPs does is strengthen the case against another referendum.  Makes no sense at all really. 

Edited by ThistleWhistle

1 hour ago, WCTA said:

We really going to go through this again.

You're saying exactly Whyat Rossy et al said the last time and it turned out Hampden Loon was spot on about what he was saying, but since folk didn't like what he was saying he was a Unionist plant.

Hell we just had an example with Wings where he was a traitor and a plant, yet 3 days later look what happened.

I hate to be blunt but this is just straight up dumbfuckery and reactionary pish.

1 minute ago, phart said:

We really going to go through this again.

You're saying exactly Whyat Rossy et al said the last time and it turned out Hampden Loon was spot on about what he was saying, but since folk didn't like what he was saying he was a Unionist plant.

Hell we just had an example with Wings where he was a traitor and a plant, yet 3 days later look what happened.

I hate to be blunt but this is just straight up dumbfuckery and reactionary pish.

I said he reads like one you condescending wank. I don’t for one second think Hampden is a plant FFS. 🙄

One thing I would say to your dad Hampden Loon is that a vote for the Tories is a vote against independence. Lets suppose the SNP intend using success at the next GE to say they have a mandate well Westminster tends to prefer looking at vote share. Your dad's vote will be seen as a vote for the union helping to boost unionist part's vote share and working against a push for independence.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Sorry wasn’t meaning at coming over confrontational but my melon medley at lunch was off so you bore the brunt. 

I don’t agree with it but I don’t really understand the logic either.  SNP returned over 50% MP’s at last election but that doesn’t seem to have been enough to push for a mandate for another referendum with 50+ seemingly the benchmark so providing more Tory MPs is detrimental to that from the off. 

The other thing is Scotland voted remain which is essentially ignored as we’re viewed as a region.  Whether we vote Tory or not at the next GE we’re getting Tory anyway nailed on and all a few more Scottish MPs does is strengthen the case against another referendum.  Makes no sense at all really. 

Your question didn't come over confrontational at all. If you want to see what confrontational looks like you don't have to look far.:lol:

My point is that the SNP manifesto didn't say "we'll give you another indyref if you return enough of our MPs to Westminster". It said something like "we will have another indyref if there is a material change in circumstances like leaving the EU against our will". We haven't left the EU yet so no change in circumstances. No mandate for another Indyref. If the Tories win this election we will leave the EU one way or another, eventually. That's what folk think needs to happen before we can think about another indyref.

It's perfectly logical to do something you don't like, in the hope that something better will happen later on. It's like working hard so that you can retire early. Or, offering to do the dishes because you think it improves your chances of getting your hole. Common sense really.