The Brexit Thread - Page 154 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

I think the clearest thing this week is what Dominic Cummings was saying. The only way the strife will be resolved will be when Brexit happens. It is clear that Cummings is politically ruthless and will stop at nothing to get what he wants. The Govt acts unlawfully and no one resigns. They bask in the notoriety. PM says he disagrees with the law. Cummings says it is a walk in the park. As MPs argue over the memory of their fallen comrade, and amidst  live and present death threats, the PM says humbug, leader of the house smirks, and Dominic Cummings openly says he is enjoying himself. These guys - who were behind a legally dubious Leave campaign - are not going to let legal obstacles get in the way of Brexit. They simply turn 'the people' against the law lords.  It just seems that the more the opposition try to put  obstacles in the way of Brexit, the more the agony will be drawn out, Cummings would be happy for another 3 years tearing apart parliamentary democracy and the law, and dragging British public life into the gutter and the nation a scorched earth as long as he wins. And the remain side - businesses and ordinary voters - have proportionately more to lose. 

So in some ways I think the best thing for the British/unionist remainers to do is to get a form of Brexit over with as quickly as possible, and wipe the 2016 slate clean, and then start the fightback. As for pro indy remainers, it is a bit more complicated..... In a way the best thing could be if the Govt forces through a bad Brexit using some dodgy loophole, so it's clear the SNP did everything they legally could to block it.  And if /when Brexit happens, well dragging Scotland out against the majority vote triggers the mandate for indy. 

Then maybe they need to hire a single minded political operator who knows how to win referenda?

32 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂, and they have the cheek to call the BBC ‘mad’ . 

Well it's certainly mad in the sense of "mutually assured destruction", if literally NOTHING will stop them. Even if it means trashing the country, or changing the law to allow a jailbird to be PM, with Parliament sitting in HMP Wormwood Scrubs, cheered on by angry mobs calling each other fascists. 

I don't see the Benn Bill being as watertight as some may think.

Rumours abound today that Johnson has been contacting each Euro member country's leader asking them to veto an extension on the 31st of October. I honestly cannot see him abiding by the Bill and asking for an extension. What the poor eejits who are egging him on for a No Deal don't get is that it is those like them that will suffer financially and in other ways. The likes of BJ and his Tory cronies do not give a jot as they have more feathers in their nest than you'd find in an aviary plus they have fingers in financial plans that will see them benefit from a No Deal.

A whole feature on the BBC 'Nine' on the Irish Border issue, with correspondents in London and Ireland, like reporting distant diplomatic news in faraway lands, and not a single word about implications for Scotland - the possibility of how a NI backstop would make asymmetry in the UK, give NI a competitive advantage in EU, how it would break the 'blood red lines' that the Scots Tories promised should never be broken. Also on a day of Jackson Carlaw's humiliating u-turn, surrendering (sorry) Scots Tories to the hard Brexiteers and agreeing with their masters that a no deal Brexit is OK after all.. Not a peep about it! 

In fact this is not even about party politics. Scotland seems entirely absent from the debate over the future of the UK that is currently playing between London, Dublin and Belfast, and Brussels. We are like bystanders watching borders being carved up or repositioned, affecting the constitutional future of the UK, and there seem to be no Scottish interests or voices involved. 

So Northern Ireland gets to stay in the single market eh ?

Apart from Scotland's wishes being ignored how much more do you think they bunged/promised the DUP to go along with it ?

The EU will blow it right oot the water tomorrow though

C mon the Brexit

Damage Scottish Industry and economy and cause thousands of job losses

That will put the Independence gas at a peep ....

BREAKING: Scotch whisky leads list of EU exports products walloped with 25% tariff as they enter US, it’s biggest market - in retaliation for Airbus subsidies. Also cashmere sweaters, dairy, pork, olives, biscuits, books, some machinery, 10% tariff on aircraft. From Oct 18.

image.png.f15af049af316486e43a36d155f9c191.png

16 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Holy fuck, I’ve just seen the official tweet today about winning World wars from “Krauts”

How on Earth can any official figure think that is even remotely acceptable behaviour? 🤦‍♂️

Curiously, they don't mention the Indians, Poles, Czechs, Norwegians, Greeks, Danes, Chinese, Belgians, Dutch and Maltese amongst others who all pitched in as well.

Time we also exploded this myth about the "invincible" highland regiments of the British Army. They were nothing special and frequently the first to run or surrender. Why do we even want to hold onto that kind of shite anyway ? Bin it.

What kind of sick, twisted cunt is actually proud that Scots once helped to brutally oppress people in Africa and Asia that never did us any harm ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, WCTA said:

Holy fuck, I’ve just seen the official tweet today about winning World wars from “Krauts”

How on Earth can any official figure think that is even remotely acceptable behaviour? 🤦‍♂️

I am in Moscow having a good time. The ignorance of Brit Nats beggars belief. No sure how many Russians were killed but you can't accuse the Brit Natsofletting facts get in the way of their self appointed racial superiority. 

6 minutes ago, IainMore said:

I am in Moscow having a good time. The ignorance of Brit Nats beggars belief. No sure how many Russians were killed but you can't accuse the Brit Natsofletting facts get in the way of their self appointed racial superiority. 

You can't be having that good a time if you're on here 🤣

Incidentally there were around 25 million Russian deaths in WW2. 

6 minutes ago, bonzo said:

You can't be having that good a time if you're on here 🤣

Incidentally there were around 25 million Russian deaths in WW2. 

I have been here since Friday last. I need a break from the beer that is stronger than ours man. 

51 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

What's Moscow like?

How many stars would you give it?

Weather has generally been crap but the beer and company has been overall good. I am glad I came. I have felt pretty safe and based on experience so far I would definitely come back. Prices about same or cheaper depending on where you eat and drink.