The Brexit Thread - Page 152 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

What did the software do?

2 years to fix a few date fields? Typical lazy programmers ye's are! :P

Continuing with this aside... I used to work on hardware, including clock chips used in all sorts of stuff.

Design was smart enough to roll over or not into March at midnight on 28th Feb. depending on leap years.   Then someone found out that centuries are not leap years (e.g. 1900 was not), ...but (phew) every 4th was (i.e. 2000), so everything was ok.

If you're still using that old pacemaker come 28-Mar-2100 though, feck knows what'll happen...

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It was tongue in cheek

However it is two different scenarios

Ulster wasn't stifling the wishes of the English electorate

As someone said - This week England realised they are in a Union and they dont like it

All fair points.

And to be fair, there is a european precedent

But nah, i just can't see it.

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

How about we just leave the EU like ‘we’ voted and see what happens?

There was a referendum, the whole country voted... how about we respect that?

no need to respect it  - don't respect anyone who lies to me, and will not honour any contracts which are built on lies/fraud/deception 

12 hours ago, thplinth said:

How about we just leave the EU like ‘we’ voted and see what happens?

There was a referendum, the whole country voted... how about we respect that?

I can see that side of the argument, but on the other side it could be argued that "We" (the people of Scotland) didn't vote to leave the EU. Maybe that should be respected too? I guess that's maybe one of the fundamental difference between people who regard Scotland as a nation and those who don't?

8 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

The majority of Scots will not care a jot if NI get a differential deal.

If UK leaves on a soft Brexit with no major damage then the cautious no voters from 2014 will be happy to continue with business as usual. 

Trying to make noise about a differential deal for NI being undemocratic to Scotland by not supporting our demands, etc. is just bullshit political spin from the SNP for me. It’s completely different circumstances. Good luck to them with it but I don’t think your average person cares too much. 

When you see Nicola Sturgeon or whoever raise a differentiated deal for Northern Ireland there's two aspects to that.  Firstly, within the UK, it puts Scotland at a disadvantage as NI would uniquely be in the SM/CU and the U.K.   Secondly - and more importantly - post Indy, and post Brexit whatever political and technical solutions were put in force to make that happen are exactly the same that would enable an open border between an independent Scotland - in or out of the EU - and England.

The NI only backstop was originally suggested by the EU as a solution.  That was rejected by the UK government who insisted it had to be UK wide because not only would the DUP object but so would Scottsh Unionists  

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I can see that side of the argument, but on the other side it could be argued that "We" (the people of Scotland) didn't vote to leave the EU. Maybe that should be respected too? I guess that's maybe one of the fundamental difference between people who regard Scotland as a nation and those who don't?

I see Scotland as a nation but Scotland voted to remain in the union, and the union voted to leave the EU. 

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I see Scotland as a nation but Scotland voted to remain in the union, and the union voted to leave the EU. 

built on lies and falsehoods, so means jack shit

Under your guardianship, no one would be getting compensation for all the Insurance mis-sellling  because "you agreed to it"

15 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

built on lies and falsehoods, so means jack shit

It’s 2019 and Scotland is still in the union so it must mean something. 

16 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

Under your guardianship, no one would be getting compensation for all the Insurance mis-sellling  because "you agreed to it"

That’s quite a leap and anyway, I don’t want the job 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

What about the referendum?

What about it?  Sorry, I forgot.  The 2016 referendum remains absolutely sacrosanct, what people voted for can be interpreted whatever way anyone wants it to depending on their own agenda and CANNOT BE QUESTIONED.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

What about it?  Sorry, I forgot.  The 2016 referendum remains absolutely sacrosanct, what people voted for can be interpreted whatever way anyone wants it to depending on their own agenda and CANNOT BE QUESTIONED.

Wouldn’t the referendum be a mandate for a no deal Brexit? At least from a voters perspective. 

One thing that cannot be denied about the Brexit Yes campaign is that they never gave a thought about what would happen to the Irish Border.

Quite ludicrous really. All the talk was about taking back control of laws and borders but Jack about the most important border of them all - the Irish one. Sorry but that key factor means that a No Deal Brexit was never a possible outcome without a Hard Border going up.

48 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Wouldn’t the referendum be a mandate for a no deal Brexit? At least from a voters perspective. 

It would be if there was any evidence that that was being put forward as a possible outcome at the time, in fact its quite the opposite and there's a raft of evidence of the leave campaign actually saying that would not be an outcome and also promoting various flavours of soft Brexit.

Anyone seriously saying that people should have realised at the time that No Deal might be a possible outcome are guilty of pulling the biggest "read the small print" con trick on the UK electorate.

Better deal than Norway, better deal than Switzerland, or simply a better deal than we have now were all banded about, not one of them said we would leave without a deal.

Even Farage and Boris were saying we will strike a great deal.

To suggest the people voted believing we would leave without a deal is a crock of shite thats worthy of being on the side of a fucking bus.

People in Scotland (if you trust the result) voted to stay in the United Kingdom. A few years later we had a vote about staying in the EU as the United Kingdom. The majority decided to leave the EU.

For folk to be bleating about how their neighbourhood did not vote Leave so there is a 'democratic deficit' blah blah is like some cunt complaining how FPTP means the winner takes all and they have 'no representation'.

That is how the system works you stupid cunt. When the SNP won 56 out of 59 seats due to FPTP I dont recall the whiners on here crying about the democratic deficit for all the folk in Scotland who did not vote SNP.

It is democracy when you win but a democratic deficit when you lose by the same rules.

Fuck off.

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

People in Scotland (if you trust the result) voted to stay in the United Kingdom. A few years later we had a vote about staying in the EU as the United Kingdom. The majority decided to leave the EU.

For folk to be bleating about how their neighbourhood did not vote Leave so there is a 'democratic deficit' blah blah is like some cunt complaining how FPTP means the winner takes all and they have 'no representation'.

That is how the system works you stupid cunt. When the SNP won 56 out of 59 seats due to FPTP I dont recall the whiners on here crying about the democratic deficit for all the folk in Scotland who did not vote SNP.

It is democracy when you win but a democratic deficit when you lose by the same rules.

Fuck off.

Its called human nature.

Why are people so amazed at this?

3 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I can't work out who are all trolling, given the amount of ridiculous posts there are. 

Rather than snide comments about trolling maybe engage with me and thplinth since its probably our posts you’re referring to. 

3 hours ago, euan2020 said:

seem's some people are happy that people lied like kunt's as long as the result aligned with what they wanted 

Don’t think anyone has said that