The Brexit Thread - Page 148 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Sitrep: we’ve given up any hope of turning on the television and seeing a politician – any politician – telling the truth.

Boris Johnson is lying about negotiating a new deal with the EU. Jeremy Corbyn is lying about pretty much everything (in so far as he even knows what he wants the truth to be, let alone what it actually is). Jo Swinson is lying about wanting to meaningfully work with other parties to stop Brexit. Nicola Sturgeon is lying about wanting to stop a no-deal Brexit – she just wants to stop Brexit full stop.

(Unfortunately, this also means she’s lying about having any real intention of holding a second independence referendum before 2021. If she did, she wouldn’t have all her MPs and MSPs frantically running around parliaments and courtrooms trying to destroy her own democratic mandate for it, which would leave her needing to secure a fresh one 20 months from now. And assuming she’d have any more idea how to put it into practice than she has with the ones she’s already got.)

The government is lying about the fact that it doesn’t have confidence in itself, and the opposition is lying about the fact that it does. Everyone now says they want an election, but somehow it isn’t happening because nobody wants it yet, and nobody can agree when they DO want it, and they’re all lying about why.

And absolutely everyone is lying about the fact that whatever they’re trying to do right now has any chance of solving the present shambles. Johnson is just stalling to run the clock down until no-deal, although he swears blind that he isn’t, and the opposition just wants to drag the whole agony out for several more months with not the slightest clue what they’d actually do then.

Grimly, the closest thing that British voters currently have to an honest man is Nigel Farage, who is at least clear about what he wants and what he’s prepared to do to get it. Which is ironic, as he’s only anywhere near getting it because he’s spent his entire political career lying through his teeth about it.

We don’t mind telling you, folks, it’s been pretty hard to get up in the mornings.

Yeah but the headline is Wings says NS is lying.

Fake news SNP cunts. 

I dont know how NS can be accused of lying

Anytime she is asked is she wants to stop Brexit she says Yes

Anytime she is asked if she wants to stop No Deal she says Yes

All this is moot anyway IMO and folk are just getting irate that she hasnt pulled the trigger yet

She could be playing a blinder because does anyone really believe Brexit will be stopped ?

It can only be delayed

Even if the UK leaves with a deal that keeps us in the CU and SM the Brexit party will clean up at the next election

They are only delaying the inevitable - Farage as PM if No Brexit

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I dont know how NS can be accused of lying

Anytime she is asked is she wants to stop Brexit she says Yes

Anytime she is asked if she wants to stop No Deal she says Yes

All this is moot anyway IMO and folk are just getting irate that she hasnt pulled the trigger yet

She could be playing a blinder because does anyone really believe Brexit will be stopped ?

It can only be delayed

Even if the UK leaves with a deal that keeps us in the CU and SM the Brexit party will clean up at the next election

They are only delaying the inevitable - Farage as PM if No Brexit

What level of support do you think there is in the UK for a No Deal Brexit?

Last poll I saw which had a number of different options was 21%.  You don't clean up in a FPTP general election on 21%. For a party with no geographic base you probably get about 10 MPs.

21 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Amber Rudd chucks it. Who's next?????????/

Her resignation letter is basically saying there's no effort being made to get a deal.  Coming from a senior cabinet member that's going to be very difficult to dismiss. 

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

Her resignation letter is basically saying there's no effort being made to get a deal.  Coming from a senior cabinet member that's going to be very difficult to dismiss. 

I've lost track of what's going on and given up on the possible outcomes. Every day something happens. i'm 52 years old and never known anything like this brexit carry on. It's going to continue for a long time yet, more twists and turns, people resigning, threats and allegations. I know it will affect my family, grandchildren but i'm beginning to not give a shit any more about brexit and hope independence will come sooner or later but not naive to think that will be a smooth journey either.

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

1 hour ago, aaid said:

What level of support do you think there is in the UK for a No Deal Brexit?

Last poll I saw which had a number of different options was 21%.  You don't clean up in a FPTP general election on 21%. For a party with no geographic base you probably get about 10 MPs.

That was around the support the Nazis had before they came to power - Godwin's law i know 

However the analogy is still the same

The shitstorm that the right wing media and politicians will drum up if No Brexit / Soft Brexit will galvanise the English electorate into a frenzy of English Nationalism that will put Siol Nan Gaidheal to shame

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That was around the support the Nazis had before they came to power - Godwin's law i know 

However the analogy is still the same

The shitstorm that the right wing media and politicians will drum up if No Brexit / Soft Brexit will galvanise the English electorate into a frenzy of English Nationalism that will put Siol Nan Gaidheal to shame

The problem the Brexit Party has is that undet FPTP they can't win (m)any seats because in England and Wales their support is spread across the whole country, unlike the Liberals, it's not concentrated in any areas, ie, the Brexit Party might get 20% in most constituencies but all that'll get you is a lot of second places.

What they can do is to put the shits up the Tories and to a lesser extent Labour and so can influence their policy in a tail wagging the dog fashion. 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

The problem the Brexit Party has is that undet FPTP they can't win (m)any seats because in England and Wales their support is spread across the whole country, unlike the Liberals, it's not concentrated in any areas, ie, the Brexit Party might get 20% in most constituencies but all that'll get you is a lot of second places.

What they can do is to put the shits up the Tories and to a lesser extent Labour and so can influence their policy in a tail wagging the dog fashion. 

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-election-pact-between-johnson-and-farage-edges-closer/

Hitler also did a similar deal with Franz Von Papen

(Think i watched too much of the BBC documentary earlier)

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-election-pact-between-johnson-and-farage-edges-closer/

Hitler also did a similar deal with Franz Von Papen

(Think i watched too much of the BBC documentary earlier)

I've seen this, I think it would go very badly wrong for the Tories and would drive more centre ground Tories away and towards other parties, probably the Lib Dems. 

Other than not spliting the Brexit vote, I don't see how it can work.  It's not enough for the Tories to not lose any more seats, they need to win them as well.

Mind you, so many things you never thought would happen have done in the last few years, who the funk knows. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I've seen this, I think it would go very badly wrong for the Tories and would drive more centre ground Tories away and towards other parties, probably the Lib Dems. 

Other than not spliting the Brexit vote, I don't see how it can work.  It's not enough for the Tories to not lose any more seats, they need to win them as well.

Mind you, so many things you never thought would happen have done in the last few years, who the funk knows. 

Ideally we don't want to split the brexit vote. 

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Cmon are people still surprised when the media give certain politicians an easy time? 

It's not so much an easy time but he should have been pressed to the point of humiliation when he wouldnt square the circle of Johnson refusing to ask for an extension when it was law that he had to

"We will abide by the law but we wont change our policy on not asking for an extension"

Edited by Ally Bongo

28 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's not so much an easy time but he should have been pressed to the point of humiliation when he wouldnt square the circle of Johnson refusing to ask for an extension when it was law that he had to

"We will abide by the law but we wont change our policy on not asking for an extension"

You don’t get his job by speaking truth to power 

28 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm not convinced there's any agenda, I just think Marr isn't up to the job of challenging *any* politician in a live interview.  That's about the most animated I've seen him in recent years and he never landed a punch.  Someone like Andrew Neil, Bernard Ponsonby, Adam Boltoun or Emma Barnett would've taken him to the cleaners. 

29 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

quick question from doon here in Bournemouth what’s the chances of joe Swinson losing her seat to the snp .

45-55

The Fib Dems will spend a fortune and leave no smear unturned to win it

They really are a cunt of a party and the electorate of East Dunbartonshire deserve her

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

45-55

The Fib Dems will spend a fortune and leave no smear unturned to win it

They really are a cunt of a party and the electorate of East Dunbartonshire deserve her

More chance of Johnson losing in Uxbridge, his majority is only 5000.