The Brexit Thread - Page 147 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

28 minutes ago, exile said:

As some have pointed out, its' the "optics" - all the public will see is 

EDtvOQkXUAAoezx?format=jpg&name=small

= PM standing firm, looking resolute about law and order

and that he would rather "die in a ditch" than betray Brexit

That was obviously the plan.  The femal police officer collapsing and Johnson waffling on for another few minutes after saying he was going to wrap up obviously wasn't. 

The PCC for West Yorkshire is hauling the Chief Constable over the coals for agreeing to it.

15 hours ago, exile said:

As some have pointed out, its' the "optics" - all the public will see is 

EDtvOQkXUAAoezx?format=jpg&name=small

= PM standing firm, looking resolute about law and order

and that he would rather "die in a ditch" than betray Brexit

I see it as him needing a massive security team to stop someone punching his head in.

On 9/4/2019 at 8:02 AM, Toepoke said:

Did they not put Yes in the lead in 2014?

They did, but what they weight - to ensure the right balance of voters in the poll - has changed. In 2014 they weighted by age and gender (together, ie. 16-24 year old men), social grade (type of job), most commonly read newspaper, 'political identification' (infamously including the SNP Holyrood; Labour Westminster group) and birthplace (Scotland, rUK or outside the UK). Now they weight by age, gender and education level (together, ie. 16-24 year old men with a high education level), previous election vote (currently 2017), 'political attention', social grade, birth place and independence vote.

There may also be methodology changes as a result of the polling for the 2015 election - based on how and who they contact to take part in the poll. Basically, the polling from 2014 isn't directly comparable to now.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

@hampden_loon2878 I saw your pal Jimmy Buchan on Sky News earlier.  He reckons Johnson has given him a cast iron guarantee that fresh fish will be able get into France on 1st November. 

It funny as jimmy is all over the place. A bit of a back story on him

owns the amity fishing vessel. Had quota (white fish primarily)  years ago he went to build a new prawn vessel, to finance this he sold quota(dished out for free) guess who he sold his quota too? A Spanish company

fast forward to just now he still own the amity, crewed all by phillipenos, apart from the skipper who takes the boat.he is chairman of the scottish sea food association who represents the processers as well as the fishermen(processers dead against hard brexit)  hes a prominent member of the local tories and told everyone after brexit we would get “our fish back”  so hes trying to argue for a hard brexit, retain his foreign workers, get quota back which he sold, have no tariffs for processers haha it’s impossible.

to answer your question it’s impossible to get free access to the EU without access to our waters for their vessels as was the case with TM’s withdrawal agreement 

26 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

It funny as jimmy is all over the place. A bit of a back story on him

owns the amity fishing vessel. Had quota (white fish primarily)  years ago he went to build a new prawn vessel, to finance this he sold quota(dished out for free) guess who he sold his quota too? A Spanish company

fast forward to just now he still own the amity, crewed all by phillipenos, apart from the skipper who takes the boat.he is chairman of the scottish sea food association who represents the processers as well as the fishermen(processers dead against hard brexit)  hes a prominent member of the local tories and told everyone after brexit we would get “our fish back”  so hes trying to argue for a hard brexit, retain his foreign workers, get quota back which he sold, have no tariffs for processers haha it’s impossible.

to answer your question it’s impossible to get free access to the EU without access to our waters for their vessels as was the case with TM’s withdrawal agreement 

Jimmy Buchan is thinking only of his wallet, he doesn;t give a shit about the industry as a whole.  He just wants to fish as much as he wants using foreign labour. 

In other words he's a tory prick

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Jimmy Buchan is thinking only of his wallet, he doesn;t give a shit about the industry as a whole.  He just wants to fish as much as he wants using foreign labour. 

Sounds it. 

I have little sympathy for the industry as a whole. But also the legislation. We seem to be the only EU country that allows our quotas to be sold.

Fatal short termism.

J

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Correct, however the norgies have it sussed just like the oil. Maybe its not “sussed” just normal practice.

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Correct, however the norgies have it sussed just like the oil. Maybe its not “sussed” just normal practice.

Something else to cheer you up.  A new poll targeting Tory constituencies.  SNP ahead in all by some distance, polling at 42% across the 13.  47%  in Banff and Buchan.

Strange days. 

"Boris Johnson would rather defy the law than ask for another Brexit delay... as Labour was accused of plunging Britain into a constitutional crisis."

So the Establishment Torygraph would still rather interpret (without a trace of irony) their beloved PM threatening to defy the law of the land as being Labour's fault.  What next. the Telegraph advocating civil disobedience - but blame it on the opposition? 

Meanwhile, I see Wings over Scotland claiming "Nicola Sturgeon is lying about wanting to stop a no-deal Brexit".

Strange days.

35 minutes ago, exile said:

Meanwhile, I see Wings over Scotland claiming "Nicola Sturgeon is lying about wanting to stop a no-deal Brexit".

Strange days.

He seems to really have lost the plot completely - I suspect he'll find out that he's not as popular as he seems to think he is.  

Mind you, if he's writing about Independence it'll make a change from the GRA which seems to be a complete obsession with him.

59 minutes ago, exile said:

Strange days. 

Strange days.

Is he ? I have tried to look and all i can see is this

SNP supporters: "Great! Yes has moved slightly ahead in a couple of polls because of Brexit!" Also SNP supporters: "Let's stop Brexit!"

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

He seems to really have lost the plot completely - I suspect he'll find out that he's not as popular as he seems to think he is.  

Again - As this is a widely held view how has he lost the plot ?

The SNP do not have a mandate for Independence

The SNP do have a mandate for a referendum if there is a "material change in circumstances" like brexit

In 2014 we voted to stay in the UK and in 2016 we voted to stay in the EU - rightly or wrongly is that not what the SNP are doing ?

The SNP do not have a mandate to overturn what England voted for ?

They are playing it by the book

Folk like Wings, and me to a certain extent, wish they wouldnt - but that's why we are not politicians

But i would love it if Nicola Sturgeon was indeed lying

Edited by Ally Bongo

31 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

SNP supporters: "Great! Yes has moved slightly ahead in a couple of polls because of Brexit!" Also SNP supporters: "Let's stop Brexit!"

The SNP do have a mandate for a referendum if there is a "material change in circumstances" like brexit

In 2014 we voted to stay in the UK and in 2016 we voted to stay in the EU - rightly or wrongly is that not what the SNP are doing ?

Folk like Wings, and me to a certain extent, wish they wouldnt - but that's why we are not politicians

First of al re. Wings, I know you follow him as well.  You'll notice that over this year the vast majority of his tweets and retweets are related to the GRA, he appears to be obsessed with this above all else.

Then you have this Wings party and his typically offensive and obdurate approach to people who support independence and yet happen to think this might not be a good idea.  Have you seen his spat this week with James Kelly who is about as mild mannered a guy as it's possible to find.

Secondly, the mandate from the 2016 Holyrood GE really has been a whole heap of use in the last three years hasn't it. 

That's looking very likely to be replaced/reinforced with a new one in the forthcoming UK GE,

I suggest you read the latest blog from Wee Ginger Dug on this point.  Wings thinks he's wrong, natch.  How long until he falls out with him as we'll?

I dont follow him so i am immune to a lot of the periphery 

I try not to follow folk that tweet and retweet constantly

But i do get your point

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

It is actually a very interesting piece...

https://wingsoverscotland.com/hopeless-times/#more-111876

What a complete bitchfest all of that on wings is above... taking the quote out of context... endless ad hominems... i.e. the usual play the man and not the ball crap. Very nasty little party.

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/hopeless-times/

There are arguments for and against what the SNP strategy should be (or actually is).   

But I just thought it strange days when the world's most-read Scottish blog is publicly calling out the FM as a liar. Ad hominem.