The Brexit Thread - Page 144 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha you’re wasted on here, a job for Brussels EU Globalist HQ surely awaits.

If i do get that dream job i'll need an assistant. You up for it? You can work from home from your survivalist outback bunker.

51 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Ever considered the voters in England equally disillusioned with Westminster like those in Scotland? 

Vote Tory - selfish right wing wankers

Vote Labour - Tory light 

Vote UKIP - racists 

The lack of empathy toward people in England who suffer under Westminster politics is blatant as fuck on here.

Maybe Brexit was there line in the sand, rightly or wrongly 

I defo think there is an element of that in Stoke as they voted for Labour for years, got some fella called Tristan who had never ate a cheese oatcake in his puff, educated Cambridge, dad was a peer, was essentially a soft tory and he quit to run the V&A so how is he ever representative of the local area?   I think if there is a snap election its places like this and Sunderland the Brexit party will make gains and Labour could get completely hammered.  I’ve mates who aren’t thick but see UKIP/Brexit being akin to SNP up here!!

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Ok, cool, i get that. :ok: You mentioned nation states below. I thought you were comparing the weaker city states to weaker EU nation states (which of course includes Ireland). No?

I dunno... Ireland is still way richer than it's ever been thanks to the EU, and seems comfortable enough wearing the bank bailout debt.

As for pots of gold... It's Ireland FFS... i have some 'little people' i need to introduce you to! :P

I was comparing not equating. I said the one quote could be mentioning the EU(in the context of Greece), not the EU and the 4 century BC Greece are equatable. There isn't invasions of each city state going on for example.

As a species almost everyone is much richer than they've ever been. 89% of our species lived in Extreme poverty in 1820, now it's 9%.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/world-population-in-extreme-poverty-absolute?stackMode=relative

Anyway that's for the Irish to decide.

Quite extraordinary in House of Commons, the "blue on blue" level of opposition by the Tories against themselves. 

MPs try to pin down Mogg on misleading the House on prorogation, he says he was at Lords watching the cricket. 

Edited by exile

52 minutes ago, phart said:

I was comparing not equating. I said the one quote could be mentioning the EU(in the context of Greece), not the EU and the 4 century BC Greece are equatable. There isn't invasions of each city state going on for example.

As a species almost everyone is much richer than they've ever been. 89% of our species lived in Extreme poverty in 1820, now it's 9%.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/world-population-in-extreme-poverty-absolute?stackMode=relative

Anyway that's for the Irish to decide.

That struck me as a bit  of a difficult thing to establish. It would appear it is.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/2/12/18215534/bill-gates-global-poverty-chart

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Ever considered the voters in England equally disillusioned with Westminster like those in Scotland? 

Vote Tory - selfish right wing wankers

Vote Labour - Tory light 

Vote UKIP - racists 

The lack of empathy toward people in England who suffer under Westminster politics is blatant as fuck on here.

Maybe Brexit was there line in the sand, rightly or wrongly 

People in Scotland have the SNP as an alt-vote. And they have been taking it.

Who is the alt-vote down south?

England is a country desperately seeking their own version of the SNP.

UKIP, BREXIT party...Sooner or later they are going to find it and it is going to stick.

The English are not afraid of being nationalist like the Scotsare. When they go it will be for real. We are utter pussy wankers in comparison. Beaten down to fuck.

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Does no one else see this as a trap?  I cant see the snp doing as well as we think in a snap election 

New Scotland wide poll out tomorrow.  It's being trailed as bad for the Tories but also "they're not the only party who needs to be worried".  I'm guessing it's bad for Labour as well but we'll see. 

19 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Does no one else see this as a trap?  I cant see the snp doing as well as we think in a snap election 

SNP will do great in a general election.
It is obvious how badly Scotland has been treated.

Lib Dems will pick up votes - but only at expense of Scottish Tories (who will rightly be wiped off map).

29 minutes ago, aaid said:

New Scotland wide poll out tomorrow.  It's being trailed as bad for the Tories but also "they're not the only party who needs to be worried".  I'm guessing it's bad for Labour as well but we'll see. 

I hope you are right, and i hope your anticipated poll may be right, something just feels off too me

46 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I'm not sure the Government are thinking or caring too much about Scotland at this time. But who knows.     

21 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

They wouldn't do as well as you assume

It all depends how they fight it

I'm worried listening to Blackford that they will fight it on a No Deal/ Remain footing rather than Independence (again)

19 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I hope you are right, and i hope your anticipated poll may be right, something just feels off too me

Just saw a snippet on Twitter. Predicting 51 seats for the SNP and Tories to lose 10 seats. 

That probably means Labour lose all bar one seat as wel

Edited by aaid

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

It all depends how they fight it

I'm worried listening to Blackford that they will fight it on a No Deal/ Remain footing rather than Independence (again)

You're right, i think it does.

I'd be shocked if the SNP hasn't learned the importance of rallying the 45% (now what, 52%?). They'll put indyref2 front and centre i think.

52 minutes ago, aaid said:

18 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

It looks like another typical Unionist poll

SNP to win 51 seats in a GE - Tories to lose 10 of 13 seats

49% back Independence

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

You're right, i think it does.

I'd be shocked if the SNP hasn't learned the importance of rallying the 45% (now what, 52%?). They'll put indyref2 front and centre i think.

Based on what the FM was saying in Holyrood earlier it will be both, ie, Brexit is a shambles and we need to hold an Indy ref.  

I suspect they'll be using any GE as a firm mandate for IndyRef2, which they already have obviously, but if they returned 50 or so MPs, it would be next to impossible to argue against it. 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

I suspect they'll be using any GE as a firm mandate for IndyRef2, which they already have obviously, but if they returned 50 or so MPs, it would be next to impossible to argue against it. 

Did you watch Newsnight? Was interesting to see the Tory who crossed the floor today (whose name i can't remember), Joanna Cherry, and the Labour shadow cabinet minister Richard Burgon in complete unison on the steps required to block Johnstone.

Cherry made the indyref2 call loud and clear, and significantly (i think?) the Labour guy attached no time conditions on a Labour government agreeing to it. Richard Leonard wouldn't have been happy.

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Did you watch Newsnight? Was interesting to see the Tory who crossed the floor today (whose name i can't remember), Joanna Cherry, and the Labour shadow cabinet minister Richard Burgon in complete unison on the steps required to block Johnstone.

Cherry made the indyref2 call loud and clear, and significantly (i think?) the Labour guy attached no time conditions on a Labour government agreeing to it. Richard Leonard wouldn't have been happy.

Yes, I watched the Remain biased Newsnight.

For probably the first time in the last three years, the opposition parties seem to be acting in unison. 

They all seem to be attaching preconditions that the bill to avoid a no deal crash out is law before they'd support a GE.

And that pretty much snookers Boris Johnson. 

YouGov - Westminster VI

• SNP - 43% (51 seats; +16 on 2017)
  • Con - 20% (3 seats; -10)
  • Lab - 15% (1 seat; -6)
  • Lib - 12% (4 seats; N/C)
  • Brx - 6%
  • Grn - 4%

Holyrood Constituency VI

• SNP - 45% (64 seats; +1 on 2016)
  • Con - 23% (25 seats; -6)
  • Lab - 13% (12 seats; -12)
  • Lib - 12% (15 seats; +10)
  • Brx - 3% (3 seats; +3)
  • Grn - 2% (10 seats; +4)
  • Oth - 6%

Independence VI

• Yes - 49%
  • No - 51%

Referendum in next five years?

• Yes - 45%
  • No - 44%

Approval Ratings

• Sturgeon - Well 47%; Badly 42%
  • Johnson - Well 24%; Badly 58%
  • Corbyn - Well 13%; Badly 71%
  • Leonard - Well 7%; Badly 40%

YouGov are at the pollster that gives independence the lowest polling figures, whilst giving the right their best figures.