The Brexit Thread - Page 138 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

24 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

So !!

The unelected prime minister is going to ask the unelected head of state to shut down the elected parliment ?

Where do you start with that ?

There is precedent. In the eighties she dismissed Gough Whitlam's Australian government. If she doesn't do that now then she has not remained neutral.And maybe that should spell the end of monarchy.

Meanwhile the SNP representatives and leadership persist with this futile (and it has to be said, undemocratic insofar as it affects the bits of the UK that are not Scotland) attempt to halt brexit or revoke A50.  Enough is enough.  To quote someone from a few years ago, "It's Time".  Well past time in fact.

An indy poll taken later this week would maybe be interesting.

Queen has consented. Exactly what purpose does she serve. 

Longest parliamentary suspension since 1945.

Jo Swinson has written to HM asking for a meeting to discuss Bojo stifling the voices of the people and their representatives. 

Its a bloody mess but everything is ok cause Trump thinks Boris is fucking brilliant. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/aug/28/spending-review-set-for-next-week-fuels-election-speculation-live

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

There is precedent. In the eighties she dismissed Gough Whitlam's Australian government. If she doesn't do that now then she has not remained neutral.And maybe that should spell the end of monarchy.

Sort of. 

It was in 1975 btw.

The then Governor-General of Australia, Sir John Kerr, went against advice of his advisers and dismissed Labour PM Whitlam after his governments key bills had been blocked in the Australian Senate by the Liberal/National opposition who were demanding an election. Whitlam was summoned to discuss the crisis with Kerr who dismissed him and triggered a general election.

The monarch has to accept the recommendation of the Governor-General. It was a big moment in Australian history and a huge boost for the Australian republican movement.

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Personally i think today is all just pantomime and for the benefit of the EU 

I think you're two thirds right.  It is pantomime, it's aimed at the EU to show that "we mean it this time". It's also aimed at parliament and is reframing the debate as deal v no deal with the hope of getting enough Labour MPs on board to pass some sort of deal. 

18 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think you're two thirds right.  It is pantomime, it's aimed at the EU to show that "we mean it this time". It's also aimed at parliament and is reframing the debate as deal v no deal with the hope of getting enough Labour MPs on board to pass some sort of deal. 

You think Boris will present the 'lipstick on a pig' version of May's deal?

Any deal is going to include the backstop, so i can't see how he does that with any credibility.

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

I am pretty sure thats exactly how the EU will view this fiasco. I doubt anyone will be impressed by bullying threats. 

I see the Queen gave her consent at Balmoral. Oh the irony if the straw that broke the camels back on the break up of the UK was made by her majesty on Scottish soil. 

5 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

You think Boris will present the 'lipstick on a pig' version of May's deal?

Any deal is going to include the backstop, so i can't see how he does that with any credibility.

I think he'll try to.   To me it's the only way he stands a chance of winning the inevitable general election if he can leave the EU with a deal.   That way, he probably keeps enough soft-remainer Tories on board and dents any impact the Brexit party might have.  Don't leave, or No Deal I suspect he's toast. 

ORDERS APPROVED AT THE PRIVY COUNCIL HELD BY THE QUEEN AT BALMORAL ON 28TH AUGUST 2019

COUNSELLORS PRESENT

The Rt Hon Jacob Rees-Mogg (Lord President)

The Rt Hon Baroness Evans of Bowes Park... etc.

Just doesn't look good. Lord President Rees-Mogg and some Baroness of Bowes Park nipping up to Scotland to get the Queen do their bidding...

...and what's more, getting it, almost immediately, right under our noses.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

I think he'll try to.   To me it's the only way he stands a chance of winning the inevitable general election if he can leave the EU with a deal.   That way, he probably keeps enough soft-remainer Tories on board and dents any impact the Brexit party might have.  Don't leave, or No Deal I suspect he's toast. 

Do you still believe the UK won't leave the EU in any meaningful way?

I agree the Tories are toast if they don't leave the EU, but still be toast in the event of a No Deal? I'm not so sure.

I know you’ve asked aaid, but I’d imagine leaving the EU with no deal would be fantastic for Boris in a general election. It kills The Brexit Party stone dead, the full allocation of Tory voters will return to them, and they most likely pick up Brexiteers from Labour.

I’d predict a very significant Tory majority. They would probably lose 8 or 9 seats in Scotland, but he wouldn’t care as the gains in England would vastly outweigh them. 

Scotland should eventually vote for independence, Wales will do what England wants, and N Ireland is just an annoyance for them. 

My greatest fear is N Ireland being proactive before us, if things get bad enough that they, rightly, rejoin RoI as one country, the bigoted bastard cunts would move here, and ruin this country. 

18 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I know you’ve asked aaid, but I’d imagine leaving the EU with no deal would be fantastic for Boris in a general election. It kills The Brexit Party stone dead, the full allocation of Tory voters will return to them, and they most likely pick up Brexiteers from Labour.

I’d predict a very significant Tory majority. They would probably lose 8 or 9 seats in Scotland, but he wouldn’t care as the gains in England would vastly outweigh them. 

That's been my thinking too.

18 minutes ago, kumnio said:

My greatest fear is N Ireland being proactive before us, if things get bad enough that they, rightly, rejoin RoI as one country, the bigoted bastard cunts would move here, and ruin this country. 

Hah! Arguably they are 'ours', so 'we' deserve them. :lol:

In reality, their plan will probably be to join their Scottish brethren in Wales......

33 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Agreed.

If Boris delivers a full-on, no-deal, over the cliff, Brexit; every Brexiteer (No matter their party politics) is going to swarm to the Tory's.

It's going to be a Benefit Britain manifest and Boris will be hailed as a hero (despite not ACTUALLY achieving anything).

It seems these people are hell-bent on this reckless path with absolutely no consideration for the economy or the Northern Ireland issue and simply cannot wait to jump into bed with Trump and for England to be joined at the hip with the USA for evermore.