The Brexit Thread - Page 131 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Lifted from link below quoting some other source "Eurointelligence". Quite accurate I think.

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/tory-choice-political-extinction-or-halloween-brexit-znNXAVYwYkmo4XPbajD0-w/

Labour won the Peterborough by-election by the thinest of margins - a few hundred votes - followed closely by the Brexit Party. The Tories were in a distant third place. The result will serve as a useful reminder for the Tories of the Brexit party’s destructive potential. Labour won the seat despite a loss of 16pp compared to the previous election. Farage managed to split the conservative wing into two, thus handing Labour what would otherwise have been an easy win for the Tories given the circumstances in which the by-election took place. Forget all the complacent talk about Farage never having won a seat for himself at a general election. This totally misses the point of what is happening in British politics right now. Even if the Brexit Party were only able to secure a small number of seats, it would still have the potential to wipe out the Tories. First-past-the-post systems leverage small political swings into huge re-distributions of seats.

The by-election will serve as yet another reminder to the Tories that they are facing a straight trade-off between political extinction and a Halloween Brexit. The UK’s political class spent the long hours ahead of the Peterborough results discussing the mechanics of a no-deal Brexit, concluding that it is not possible or realistic for a PM to prorogue parliament - the theoretical ability to suspend the House of Commons in late October. We think the main effect of this debate has been to isolate Dominic Raab, the most extreme of the pro-Brexit candidates. Moderate Tories now support Boris Johnson - just savour this statement for a moment. The contest is his to lose.

There are two scenarios that could lead to new elections. The first is a no-confidence vote that Labour said it will deliver when the new government is installed. The second would be a decision by Johnson to call elections - subject to the usual parliamentary procedures - to gain a majority for his own Brexit strategy.

For the moment Johnson has positioned himself in the right spot: an absolute commitment to the Oct 31 leaving date, together with a willingness to compromise on an agreement. There exists no viable strategy for the Tories away from this finely calibrated line.

We are so fucked. :lol:

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Lifted from link below quoting some other source "Eurointelligence". Quite accurate I think.

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/tory-choice-political-extinction-or-halloween-brexit-znNXAVYwYkmo4XPbajD0-w/

We are so fucked. :lol:

And there just isn't enough time left for anything to change. The EU gave the Tories another 6 months to try to  sort out out their mess. The last thing they said was "Please use this time wisely". What have they done. Fucked off on holiday for a few weeks, sacked the PM and are now going to spend a couple of months deciding who will be the next PM. 

Boris doesn't have a strategy. How long will it take for him to come up with one? And even if he did, as far s the EU are concerned the only two options are the deal they have agreed with May or NO DEAL. I think we are leaving without a deal. I just can't see any other outcome.

Edited by Orraloon

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And there just isn't enough time left for anything to change. The EU gave the Tories another 6 months to try to  sort out out their mess. The last thing they said was "Please use this time wisely". What have they done. Fucked off on holiday for a few weeks, sacked the PM and are now going to spend a couple of months deciding who will be the next PM. 

Boris doesn't have a strategy. How long will it take for him to come up with one? And even if he did, as far s the EU are concerned the only two options are the deal they have agreed with May or NO DEAL. I think we are leaving without a deal. I just can't see any other outcome.

Absolutely spot on. 👍

The time for negotiations ended months ago. Apparently, the genius that is BoJo's plan is to threaten the EU to hold new negotiations or he'll exit with no deal and refuse to pay the divorce bill payment. Dillusions of grandeur?

It's a no deal Brexit.

4 minutes ago, phart said:

D89WUZ0WwAUHTEZ.pngNo idea why you can't post these Ally?

Me neither :(

Used to be simple - copy image location then paste it on here

35 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Me neither :(

Used to be simple - copy image location then paste it on here

Yeah that's how it worked for me, that's weird. if you reply there is maybe an option to manually add the image although that might be a pain in the arse.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, phart said:

D89WUZ0WwAUHTEZ.pngNo idea why you can't post these Ally?

Find it interesting that a third rate comedian on an obscure comedy show in-front of a radio 4 audience is inciting hatred but Farage taking up weapons to an audience of disillusioned white guys is for the bantz.   

I look on the Stoke forum too as it generally sits well to the right of the tamb.  Was quite interesting to see most of the frothy mouthed brexiteer types were critical of Farage’s stance saying he’d gone a bit snowflake and even hypocritical.  What a weird time we are currently in.    

15 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I did type a lengthy reply to this article, but it was a waste...as the below covers my thoughts.

That blog makes some MASSIVE logical leaps just from the Brexit Party using the phrase "maintain the integrity of the UK" in their Memo of Association.

There is no mention of Scotland, Scottish Independence or devolution and there is certainly no Trojan horse in the fact they weren't mentioned.

That would be to flatter Scottish politics or the independence movement. The members of the Brexit party could not give any F*cks for Scotland, even covertly..

They are only concerned with the UK (read Englands) position in the world.

In fact the blog is mis-leading in that the parts it does quote directly is preceded by a Header including "fighting Scottish Independence" to make it look like thats in the Memo and its not.

But I guess its a partisan blog and it has its agenda for reporting it like that. So what should i expect.

29 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

I did type a lengthy reply to this article, but it was a waste...as the below covers my thoughts.

That blog makes some MASSIVE logical leaps just from the Brexit Party using the phrase "maintain the integrity of the UK" in their Memo of Association.

There is no mention of Scotland, Scottish Independence or devolution and there is certainly no Trojan horse in the fact they weren't mentioned.

That would be to flatter Scottish politics or the independence movement. The members of the Brexit party could not give any F*cks for Scotland, even covertly..

They are only concerned with the UK (read Englands) position in the world.

In fact the blog is mis-leading in that the parts it does quote directly is preceded by a Header including "fighting Scottish Independence" to make it look like thats in the Memo and its not.

But I guess its a partisan blog and it has its agenda for reporting it like that. So what should i expect.

If you are not aware of  the views Farage, Nuttall or any other English Nationalist Brexit zoomer has on Scotland, The Barnett formula and devolution then you havent been paying attention

Do you really think they are going to come out and unequivocally say "we will scrap the devolved administrations" ?

3(v) work to free individuals, families and businesses alike from excessive government interference in the conduct of their affairs and seek to return authority and responsible autonomy to all levels of local government, whether borough, city or district, whilst rejecting the idea of an extra layer of government in the form of regional assemblies, which would alienate voters by distancing them further from government, and undermine the principle democratically accountable local government;

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be honest it is disgusting but I have no doubt Scottish unionists won't bat an eyelid at it.

It was adding to my point above it where TGV said they dont give a fuck about Scotland

They dont give a fuck about us but want to make sure we are tied to them and squeezed like a sponge

It's colonialism/Imperialism 101

There are no words for Scots that vote for them

Unionist parties are one thing

Brexit/English Nationalist parties are another

Edited by Ally Bongo

So he doesn't want his old pal Gove then ?

He will of course spout any old populist crap to suit the moment, but it does highlight the peculiarity at the very heart of what "Britain" actually is.

To quote from Bernard Shaw " God help England if she had no Scots to think for her! "

That's the curse of the thing - the whole notion of a "Britain" and the British empire is in great parts a Scottish invention - we've had generations of Scots and Scots descended folk running the damn thing all along ... it's just that they are all professionally "British".

How many English voters realise Gove was born in Edinburgh I wonder ?

Whether it be politics, civil service, media etc .... "the Establishment" has long been made up of people who would all easily qualify to play for the Scottish football team. None of them of course have any interest at all in helping the people of Scotland (or indeed any other part of the British Isles) - all in it for their own interests and the intrests of the strange construct that is "Britain".

I hope I live long enough to see what the historians looking back and dissecting the history of the British state will make of it all when it is finally dismantled and put to rest.

Was a bit worried when i heard Tom Watson's pro remain speech today with regards Independence and gullible Scots voters

Then i saw the Sack Tom Watson tweets on twatter

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SackTomWatson&src=tyah

To be clear my reply was in response to the specifics of the blog, which i still contend is bunkum and a massive logical leap. The main argument of which bears no relation to 

the companies house documents its attempting to draw conclusions from and actually deliberately mis-leads. 

I would however argue that "They" dont hate us.

Johnson will say anything for political gain. I dont even need to explain Farages position. While those two and there ilk are indeed detestable and will do more for the independence movement than any of the useless Scottish MPs will. to say THEY hate us, is again a massive leap and disingenuous.

Despite their relative success in there political career, you can argue that most of England hates Johnson and Farage as well. So its unfair to say They hate us as if all England think like that.