The Brexit Thread - Page 123 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

5 hours ago, Bonny79 said:

Nothing embarrassing about Scotland wanting to remain part of Britain. 

Am I correct in saying, Scotland is the only country to ever vote against its own independence?

Slovenia voted (by 88%) for their independence despite Belgrade threatening military action.

Whereas we were threatened with no pound and no Eastenders, so yes, it was and is embarrassing.

Scotland the Brave, eh?

46 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Am I correct in saying, Scotland is the only country to ever vote against its own independence?

Slovenia voted (by 88%) for their independence despite Belgrade threatening military action.

Whereas we were threatened with no pound and no Eastenders, so yes, it was and is embarrassing.

Scotland the Brave, eh?

I did a free city walking tour whilst in Ljubljana at the away game a couple of years ago. Scotland could learn a few things from Slovenia and its people. Ljubljana is a beautiful clean city, the inhabitants are rightly proud of it and also the rewards that independence has helped achieve. I don't know enough about their politics to provide any great insight but if wiki is to be believed there appears to be a genuine effort for parties to work together.  

https://www.citylab.com/design/2016/02/how-ljubljana-turned-itself-into-europes-green-capital/458934/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Slovenia

As far as embarrassment goes, I am saddened and a little embarrassed that this country did not have the balls to take the opportunity in 2014. However I would be a damned sight more embarrassed to call myself British . 

22 hours ago, Dave78 said:

ChEcK yOuRE pASSpoRT!!!!!

I could likely get a South Africa one - does that make me South African - Yo Ma Se Poes  (Meant to quote Bonny 79 - but hey ho)

I know 3 South Africans with Dual British PP  - are they British  ? 

My South African friend has an Irish PP by marriage - Irish ?

Edited by euan2020

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I did a free city walking tour whilst in Ljubljana at the away game a couple of years ago. Scotland could learn a few things from Slovenia and its people. Ljubljana is a beautiful clean city, the inhabitants are rightly proud of it and also the rewards that independence has helped achieve. I don't know enough about their politics to provide any great insight but if wiki is to be believed there appears to be a genuine effort for parties to work together.  

https://www.citylab.com/design/2016/02/how-ljubljana-turned-itself-into-europes-green-capital/458934/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Slovenia

As far as embarrassment goes, I am saddened and a little embarrassed that this country did not have the balls to take the opportunity in 2014. However I would be a damned sight more embarrassed to call myself British . 

Agreed, Ljubljana is a lovely place.

In fact, I told people after I came back that more than anywhere I have ever seen Scotland play, Ljubljana would be a very, very, pleasant place to live.

Not saying it's the most exciting place to live, but it strikes me as a pleasant place to live, work and raise a family. 

Anyway, back on topic...

27 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Agreed, Ljubljana is a lovely place.

In fact, I told people after I came back that more than anywhere I have ever seen Scotland play, Ljubljana would be a very, very, pleasant place to live.

Not saying it's the most exciting place to live, but it strikes me as a pleasant place to live, work and raise a family. 

Anyway, back on topic...

Must we .......😏

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Scotland the Brave, eh?

Takes bravery to think before you vote and not be a sheep.   Luckily 55% of people all did that at the same time in this country. 

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Scotland the Brave, eh?

An independence referendum was held in New Caledonia on 4 November 2018.[1][2] Voters were given the choice of remaining part of France or becoming an independent country.

Announced in the evening of polling day, the result was 56.4% for maintaining the status quo and 43.6% in favour of independence.

Must be a Scottish thing.

Edited by Eisegerwind

8 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Takes bravery to think before you vote and not be a sheep.   Luckily 55% of people all did that at the same time in this country. 

Aye - 300 years of brainwashing and enforced Scottish Cringe was not lost

I wonder if you walked around any other of the umpteen countries that broke away from the Empire, never mind the likes of Croatia, Serbia, Slovakia etc prior to their regained Independence, whether their TV crews could find anyone willing to tell the camera that "they were fed up with it all" or "wasnt interested" never mind say they were a nawbag

7 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Takes bravery to think before you vote and not be a sheep.   

The word bravery is usually used to describe people who took action; who did something out of the norm...

People who confronted the bank robber... Confronted the terrorist... Retrieved the child from the tracks as the train approached...

What is brave about voting for all you have ever known?

Like sheep; a group of people who do not think or act independently?

Strictly speaking, that could be said about either side in a one or other vote. 

That same statement could be thrown at anyone who voted for the Brexit Party, I suppose.

So, the problem with your statement is it all depends on your perspective.

Maybe the 55% (ahem, the majority) were the sheep?

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

The word bravery is usually used to describe people who took action; who did something out of the norm...

People who confronted the bank robber... Confronted the terrorist... Retrieved the child from the tracks as the train approached...

What is brave about voting for all you have ever known?

Like sheep; a group of people who do not think or act independently?

Strictly speaking, that could be said about either side in a one or other vote. 

That same statement could be thrown at anyone who voted for the Brexit Party, I suppose.

So, the problem with your statement is it all depends on your perspective.

Maybe the 55% (ahem, the majority) were the sheep?

At the risk of going over old ground, if talking about referenda results.

Let's remember indyref allowed all residents of Scotland including non-UK EU citizens to vote, the Euro referendum did not. If these conditions had been reversed what are the chances the results would have been reversed. 

No embarrassment in being or wanting to be British.

But the embarrassing thing is those politicians and their followers who so patriotically and defiantly assert the UK's "independence" from the EU but then so spinelessly accept every instruction, imposition and insult dished out by the UK. 

Imagine proud Brexiters agreeing to the terms of Union that Scotland has within the UK. 

The UK would never put up with the EU having final say on foreign affairs,  army,  welfare, immigration overriding the UK government's every objection. 

Imagine the UK having to beg permission from the EU to even hold a referendum. It just would not happen and does not happen. 

If the UK is a "vassal state" within the EU what does that make Scotland?  Not a state or even country at all. 

1 minute ago, exile said:

At the risk of going over old ground, if talking about referenda results.

Let's remember indyref allowed all residents of Scotland including non-UK EU citizens to vote, the Euro referendum did not. If these conditions had been reversed what are the chances the results would have been reversed. 

Indeed. I read about this a wee while ago.

Seemingly everything would now be the other way around.

Scotland would now be independent and the UK would not be leaving the EU.

Which begs this question...

Most EU citizens living in Scotland voted to NO in the Scottish referendum (because they were worried Scotland would no longer be in the EU).

They have now seen the United Kingdom England and Wales vote to leave the EU; dragging us out in the process.

So, that is surely a whole load of new YES votes for IndyRef2, yes? 

10 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Indeed. I read about this a wee while ago.

Seemingly everything would now be the other way around.

Scotland would now be independent and the UK would not be leaving the EU.

Which begs this question...

Most EU citizens living in Scotland voted to NO in the Scottish referendum (because they were worried Scotland would no longer be in the EU).

They have now seen the United Kingdom England and Wales vote to leave the EU; dragging us out in the process.

So, that is surely a whole load of new YES votes for IndyRef2, yes? 

And if indy2 is also NO.... 

37 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

If it's a NO, then it's a NO and I would imagine that would be it for a wee while.

But it will inevitably come around again; almost certainly in the next 20 years.

It's only been 5 years since the last one.  It's too soon to have another IMO.   

Will the Yoons in Scotland move to the Lib Dems from the Brexit party ?

Britain Elects @britainelects

Westminster voting intention:

LDem: 24% (+6)

Brex: 22% (+4)

Con: 19% (-5)

Lab: 19% (-5)

Grn: 8% (+2)

via @YouGov Chgs. w/ 17 May