The Brexit Thread - Page 113 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

6 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Any info on the nips?

From previous experience she has most likely put a square of toilet paper over each one to cover mishaps - like walking out the toilet immediately after using the hand dryer 

Very hard to call a favourite. These are not normal times. There is a civil war in there - possibly even three way (staunch Brexiteers, Remainers, and hedgers - those who were Remain and switched to be pro Brexit)... Then there's the voting system...

I hope they don’t resort to eeny meeny miny moe or we are stuck with Himmler’s nephew 😕

They are all hideous but Gove, Leadsom and Rees Mogg in particular make my skin crawl. Raab is stupid but they are dangerous. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

I hope they don’t resort to eeny meeny miny moe or we are stuck with Himmler’s nephew 😕

They are all hideous but Gove, Leadsom and Rees Mogg in particular make my skin crawl. Raab is stupid but they are dangerous. 

Is there any competent and viable options in the Tory party though? They have always been a nasty party and that will not change.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Is there any competent and viable options in the Tory party though? They have always been a nasty party and that will not change.

Who knows, I am biased because I am not a Tory and do not resonate with most of their ideals.

One of the outsiders may surprise us but none of them will have the experience of guiding the UK through this Brexit shitfest, there is no time for learning the ropes. It has to be one of the big guns and none of them look appealing. They are the extreme of the Tories. 

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Who knows, I am biased because I am not a Tory and do not resonate with most of their ideals.

One of the outsiders may surprise us but none of them will have the experience of guiding the UK through this Brexit shitfest, there is no time for learning the ropes. It has to be one of the big guns and none of them look appealing. They are the extreme of the Tories. 

The mind-blowing thing is the Tories seem to look up to a friggin' clown (Boris Johnson) as if he is some sort of god when he is a useless moron. Made a total arse of it as Foreign Secretary and just looks like a total clown as well.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

The bit yesterday when Theresa starts bubbling was better than The Sopranos and The Wire combined, I really hope she is suffering.

I have a tiny degree of sympathy for her, she was thrown under the bus. I doubt there is any politician around who would unite parliament and find the right deal for brexit. 

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I have a tiny degree of sympathy for her, she was thrown under the bus. I doubt there is any politician around who would unite parliament and find the right deal for brexit. 

A politician that is honest with the public rather than being more interested in votes and power would

Asking for much i know but in this climate it was easier than ever

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

No sympathy whatsoever from me. She is a cold, heartless being. Her tears were for herself but never saw her shed tears for those that died due to Tory incompetence at Grenfell or showed any sorrow for her big part in Project Windrush when she let a junior colleague take the flak and lose her job whilst she got off scot free given that she was foreign secretary at the time chucking people here legally out of the country.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The mind-blowing thing is the Tories seem to look up to a friggin' clown (Boris Johnson) as if he is some sort of god when he is a useless moron. Made a total arse of it as Foreign Secretary and just looks like a total clown as well.

He strikes me as one of these intelligent ( I do think he is intelligent in an ‘educated at Eton and knows lots of stuff  ‘‘ kinda way 🙄) but gaffe stricken buffoon and for that reason, amongst many others,  he should be nowhere near the job. But will probably get it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-conservative-leader-mistakes-gaffes-prime-minister-theresa-may-quotes-a8928791.html%3famp

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Save your sympathy. She’ll walk into a kushy corporate gig, fair chance she was appointed to try and halt leaving the EU as much as possible 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Save your sympathy. She’ll walk into a kushy corporate gig, fair chance she was appointed to try and halt leaving the EU as much as possible 

Not forgetting the book which is probably being penned as we speak. 

35 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I was actually hoping in her farewell speech she started effing and swearing and slagging off the lot of them, as they try to tear the mic off her jacket. 

15 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

That Ladbrokes list with the odds has some mental f*ckers on it...

Is that the calibre of person they have to replace Theresa May?!?!?!

Back in the day, it would have been Major, Hague, Duncan-Smith, Clarke, Heseltine... at least they were sane.

Could be good in the push for independence, mind  :ok:

IDS is a dud, but I take your point, the decline in calibre over the last 20 years is alarming.  It's almost as bad as looking at a list of Scotland's right-back options.

If the shitshow going on down south isn't making more folk at least contemplate the idea of independence then I hate to think what might.

13 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Which in normal circumstances would make him the ideal candidate. But we're not in normal circumstances.

Scotlad is right to say the Tories usual never pick the favourite, but this time they need a big popular personality to push through a likely no-deal Brexit.

Boris is the only one that fits the bill.

That's a good point.  These are exceptional circumstances so a moderate John Major or David Cameron type might not cut it.  Someone with bluster  as their main weapon might be required.

49 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No sympathy whatsoever from me. She is a cold, heartless being. Her tears were for herself but never saw her shed tears for those that died due to Tory incompetence at Grenfell or showed any sorrow for her big part in Project Windrush when she let a junior colleague take the flak and lose her job whilst she got off scot free given that she was foreign secretary at the time chucking people here legally out of the country.

Even if I detest someone I can normally find some sympathy with them in certain circumstances, but Teresa May greetin yesterday just made me cringe.  It was a self-pitying greet, like a toddler having its toy taken away because they're being annoying.  It was undignified and embarrassing.  At least it was in keeping with her tenure as PM, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's a good point.  These are exceptional circumstances so a moderate John Major or David Cameron type might not cut it.  Someone with bluster  as their main weapon might be required.

I remember reading somewhere, might have been on this board, someone saying that when you are in power you need to pick a side . Trying to appease everyone is impossible,  and playing the middle ground means you get attacked from both sides. I thought it was a good point, and the current situation is probably a prime example of this. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I remember reading somewhere, might have been on this board, someone saying that when you are in power you need to pick a side . Trying to appease everyone is impossible,  and playing the middle ground means you get attacked from both sides. I thought it was a good point, and the current situation is probably a prime example of this. 

I mind Ken Clarke saying something similar about Teresa May, around the first time she presented her Brexit deal to parliament.

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

It's a quote attributed to Thatcher, "the problem with being in the middle of the road is you get knocked down from both sides"

The fact that every week some roaster in the Question Time audience shouts "We voted to leave, why havent we left " or "We should just leave" shows the damage that has been done with both May and Corbyn not being honest.

May should have addressed this nonsense from the start rather than her "Brexit means Brexit" and "No deal is better than a bad deal" rhetoric

She should have made clear that any deal would not be as good as being in the EU and that the UK Union would end if we left without a deal considering how Scotland (and to a lesser extent) NI voted

Then she should have put it back to the public and if no deal was still the option she should have stood down and have a General Election and let a party with no deal as it's manifesto run 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

She was thrown under the bus ? She was driving the fukker