The Brexit Thread - Page 108 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

31 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

What have the EU implemented, which so offends you?

They are unelected and undemocratic.  

Their single currency, although not used in the UK, is a complete disaster for the whole euro zone (ask Greece) 

Various people have said our laws are not made here and we're governed from. Brussels - I do think this point may not apply as much as those people make out but the worst of it is still bad news. 

Ireland were treated to a stich up backdoor job over the Lisbon treaty.    

To name a few. 

20 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

One thing I think which may well happen tomorrow is Change UK will have a terrible result on Sunday.

I'm thinking at the very most across the UK they'll get about 5%, and in Scotland, well UKIP may well pip them, it'll be that bad a night for them!

Odious party.      When I 1st heard of them I thought they were a brexit party 😂

51 minutes ago, exile said:

does anyone know, has Change UK come out as explicitly unionist?

i saw somewhere that they urged unionists to vote for the lib dems but that is not the same thing. but that doesn't rule them out being happy to see snp secure additional pro-eu seats.  i am just curious if there would ever be a uk  party so pro eu it would rather have snp shut out one of the brexit parties. not that change uk of itself is important.

More or less

Their candidate in Scotland stood down so as not to split the Lib Dem vote but not anywhere else in the UK

Unionists are something else eh

13 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Their single currency, although not used in the UK, is a complete disaster for the whole euro zone (ask Greece) 

Various people have said our laws are not made here and we're governed from. Brussels - I do think this point may not apply as much as those people make out but the worst of it is still bad news. 

To name a few. 

The EU is not sunshine and lollipops but i could give you more plausible reasons for not being in it than that shite above

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

54 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

To name a few. 

1 erm... are you f*cking serious?

2 doesn't affect you.

3 you acknowledge such people exaggerate.

4 doesn't affect you.

2 hours ago, bonny78 said:

And yet of all the EU countries, opinion polls report Ireland is....

0011b3c9-614.jpg?ratio=1.78

BTW, those numbers are the highest pro-EU figures across the EU 28.

Why? Because everyone in Ireland knows that it's the EU that has allowed Ireland to flourish. A relatively poor former vassal of England, dependent on 'betters' in Westminster, has grown up to be a normal independent nation with a per capita GDP that's almost double that of the UK's.

You carry on with yer Better Together pish though. Folk in Dublin look and laugh at that.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

And yet of all the EU countries, opinion polls report Ireland is....

0011b3c9-614.jpg?ratio=1.78

BTW, those numbers are the highest pro-EU figures across the EU 28.

Why? Because everyone in Ireland knows that it's the EU that has allowed Ireland to flourish. A relatively poor former vassal of England, dependent on 'betters' in Westminster, has grown up to be a normal independent nation with a per capita GDP that's almost double that of the UK's.

You carry on with yer Better Together pish though. Folk in Dublin look and laugh at that.

Didn’t Ireland have to vote twice to join though?

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

2 doesn't affect you.

4 doesn't affect you.

The euro zone might not affect people in the UK directly but it’s a talking point at the very least when discussing the failures of the EU as a political union. 

7 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

2 doesn't affect you.

4 doesn't affect you.

LOL. It affects everyone!!! 

You're probably one of these people who claims the poverty in Africa is nothing to do with us. 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So if it were a case of a indy scotland outside the EU or scotland within the union and also the EU, what do you pick?

Scotland outside the EU.   

The EU is the biggest enemy we have in this sector of the world.   

"Ruth Davidson is “baffled” by Theresa May’s offer of a second EU referendum, Times sources say, amid a Scottish Tory revolt against the prime minister.

A source close to the Scottish Conservative leader said last night: “Fair to say we are baffled by this as a closing message before an election.”

A group of Tory MPs met David Mundell, the Scottish secretary, to vent their anger at the plan, which they are concerned paves the way for the SNP to argue more persuasively for a second vote on Scottish independence.

“We have been totally consistent in making the case against another EU referendum and then she goes and throws us under a bus with that speech,” said one Scottish Tory MP."

Edited by exile

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Didn’t Ireland have to vote twice to join though?

Ireland joined - at the same time as the UK in 1973 - following a referendum that had 80% to join.

I suspect that you're getting mixed up with the referendum to ratify the Lisbon Treaty in 2008.  That was rejected by a similar margin to the UK Brexit referendum, in this case 53/47.

The Irish government sought and received guarantees from the EU on the areas of contention, specifically tax harmonisation, defence and aspects of "family life". 

The subsequent referendum the following year had a 2-1 majority in favour of ratifying it.

Now as has been pointed out, Ireland is one of the most pro-EU member states. 

58 minutes ago, exile said:

"Ruth Davidson is “baffled” by Theresa May’s offer of a second EU referendum, Times sources say, amid a Scottish Tory revolt against the prime minister.

A source close to the Scottish Conservative leader said last night: “Fair to say we are baffled by this as a closing message before an election.”

A group of Tory MPs met David Mundell, the Scottish secretary, to vent their anger at the plan, which they are concerned paves the way for the SNP to argue more persuasively for a second vote on Scottish independence.

“We have been totally consistent in making the case against another EU referendum and then she goes and throws us under a bus with that speech,” said one Scottish Tory MP."

Has Fluffy resigned yet?

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Go on then

What am i ? Your fucking teacher ?

You never elaborate when you post - why should i ?

However - Intentions in/with Ukraine - there's one just for you  

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

The currency disaster is the number one reason. 

Where is this currency disaster you are speaking of ?

The only recent currency disaster i can recall is when the arse fell out of Sterling against the Dollar due to Brexit or when i went to Benidorm in March and noticed the shitey amount of Euros i was getting for my money - again due to Brexit

And just wait to see what happens to Sterling against the Euro when the phoney war is over and we do leave

Just voted - the only voter in the entire hall.

Brexit voters will be far more motivated to vote than most others.

Scotland prediction:

SNP - 33%

Brexit - 19%

Labour - 16%

LD - 11%

Tory - 10%

Green - 9%

Other - 2%

Think that would equate to 3 x SNP seats, 1 x Brexit, 1 x Labour and 1 x LD.

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The only recent currency disaster i can recall is when the arse fell out of Sterling against the Dollar due to Brexit or when i went to Benidorm in March and noticed the shitey amount of Euros i was getting for my money - again due to Brexit

And just wait to see what happens to Sterling against the Euro when the phoney war is over and we do leave

You must have been on the shitter in 2008 then.  Ya missed a whole crisis in the euro zone that Germany are still paying for. 

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Pound is already crashing as we speak mr bongo I enjoy your posts and are  one of the better posters on here but please don’t encourage that clown 

Saw an article where the headline was 'Why Farage Wins the Country and Corbyn Wins Only a Party'. Makes the point that the Corbyn revolution fizzled out and now with a 25% approval ratings his prospects if somehow he became PM are not good. He has won a party but failed to win the country. Then you have the pack of tory rogues that could be a future PM if May (a corker herself) ever fucking quits. Or Nigel Farage... this is some fucking mess England has got Britain in. It is beyond belief really.