The Brexit Thread - Page 107 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

That's a real stretch - I think the Greens will pick up a seat - not at the expense of the SNP but at the expense of one of the Unionist parties.

I know loads of folk voting green for the first time. now ofc "loads" is relative and i doubt will swing any close votes, but if replicated elsewhere could add up nicely.

5 minutes ago, phart said:

I know loads of folk voting green for the first time. now ofc "loads" is relative and i doubt will swing any close votes, but if replicated elsewhere could add up nicely.

I think they may pick up a lot of Remain leaning Labour supporters who are scunnered with Labour but who can't bring themselves to vote SNP.

Arguing for indyref2 is an argument for BREXITref2 on the surface.

The difference is that the result of BREXITref1 retrospectively changed a fundamental assumption of indyref1.

Leaving the EU was not part of the deal during indyref1 which has enabled the possibility of indyref2.

Nothing similar since BREXITref1 has happened to justify BREXITref2.

Maybe if indyref1 had been after BREXITref1 and we had voted YES... but it wasn't and we didn't.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Rumour May is resigning tonight. Unconfirmed. 

Apparently she's bunkered up in Downing St., refusing to meet any cabinet ministers.

Meanwhile, Nigel Farage is trapped on his Brexit bus surrounded by people armed with milkshakes.

I'm not making any of this up.

38 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Arguing for indyref2 is an argument for BREXITref2 on the surface.

The difference is that the result of BREXITref1 retrospectively changed a fundamental assumption of indyref1.

Leaving the EU was not part of the deal during indyref1 which has enabled the possibility of indyref2.

Nothing similar since BREXITref1 has happened to justify BREXITref2.

Maybe if indyref1 had been after BREXITref1 and we had voted YES... but it wasn't and we didn't.

We really don't need indy2 or brexit2 since the 1st ones were so recent. 

38 minutes ago, aaid said:

Apparently she's bunkered up in Downing St., refusing to meet any cabinet ministers.

Meanwhile, Nigel Farage is trapped on his Brexit bus surrounded by people armed with milkshakes.

Apparently she’s got till Friday now still clinging on it seems 

Think Brexit Party will get at least 20% in Scotland and the SNP might even up short of the 3rd seat. 

The SNP should win the largest share of the vote, eg 34% or so. 

Hope the Greens win a seat but fear they'll miss out.

SNP 2 Brexit 2 Two others 2. Gives the media a chance to say Scotland wants Brexit etc, so I hope people go out and vote. 

Hopefully I'm out of sync, bit there are large portions of society who detest the SNP are the Union above anything else and they all seem motivated to vote.

4 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Think Brexit Party will get at least 20% in Scotland and the SNP might even up short of the 3rd seat. 

The SNP should win the largest share of the vote, eg 34% or so. 

Hope the Greens win a seat but fear they'll miss out.

SNP 2 Brexit 2 Two others 2. Gives the media a chance to say Scotland wants Brexit etc, so I hope people go out and vote. 

Hopefully I'm out of sync, bit there are large portions of society who detest the SNP are the Union above anything else and they all seem motivated to vote.

34% would be a terrible election for the snp and would show them that folk dont feel so strong about the EU, they had pinned everything on brexit which to me is a duck up

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

34% would be a terrible election for the snp and would show them that folk dont feel so strong about the EU, they had pinned everything on brexit which to me is a duck up

The polls have them just under 40% - 39,38,37 etc and the last few elections they've polled about 3-4% less than opinion polling. 

Hope I'm wrong and the SNP have a great night. 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Turnout will be very low, even lower than previous EU elections, I think. Might not even reach 30%?

Most folk, I talk to, can't understand why we are even having an EU election. It's hard to argue with that really. The daftest election ever maybe?

I doubt there will be voter apathy on the No Surrender, No referendum, FTP side

Of all those that voted No in 2014 - a third of them were staunch Unionists and bigots and you can bet your bottom dollar each and every one of them will be voting for the English Nationalist party 

The bottom line is that if you want Scotland to be politically Independent from Westminster you cant take any chances and have to vote SNP tomorrow.

It's not so much the amount of votes the Brexit party gets it's how it will be spun by Unionists and their compliant media if the SNP dont have a fairly good result

Voter apathy on our side is a big worry but hopefully the young yins will realise this and make up for it

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I doubt there will be voter apathy on the No Surrender, No referendum, FTP side

Of all those that voted No in 2014 - a third of them were staunch Unionists and bigots and you can bet your bottom dollar each and every one of them will be voting for the English Nationalist party 

The bottom line is that if you want Scotland to be politically Independent from Westminster you cant take any chances and have to vote SNP tomorrow.

It's not so much the amount of votes the Brexit party gets it's how it will be spun by Unionists and their compliant media if the SNP dont have a fairly good result

Voter apathy on our side is a big worry but hopefully the young yins will realise this and make up for it

So you want to be independent but still in the EU?? 

So not independent at all. 

6 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Still with this shitty straw man argument ?

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Good old British spirit and values. Why would we ever want to give that up. 

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Brexit is a monster who has chewed up all in its path, tory, labour and to a extent the snp although the unity of the party has faired them well, what a bloody mess and boris at the helm willonly help the independence cause

Well, she has at least succeeded in uniting the country .The only thing everyone agrees on is that this a complete fuck up.  

I agree, if Boris Johnson doesn't help the cause nothing will.  

10 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

No one has a good answer unless you want Scotland to be out of the EU as well. 

In 2014 the Unionist threat was that if we vote Yes we will be out the EU and that would be devastating

In 2019 the Unionist threat is that if we vote for Independence we will be in the EU and that's not really Independence ?

Away and fucking raffle

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

In 2014 the Unionist threat was that if we vote Yes we will be out the EU and that would be devastating

In 2019 the Unionist threat is that if we vote for Independence we will be in the EU and that's not really Independence ?

Away and fucking raffle

This is correct.  Canny be truly independent if still in the EU.  

47 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

I do not consider you stupid, but...

You are trying to tell us, that the countries in the EU have no independence???

As has been pointed out already, the UK does as it pleases the vast majority of the time; the UK has gone to war when it wanted; hasn't had to take the Euro; hasn't had to accept Schengen.

The EU has brought about some great things. So what's the issue.

You can be independent AND co-operative.

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

I do not consider you stupid, but...

You are trying to tell us, that the countries in the EU have no independence???

As has been pointed out already, the UK does as it pleases the vast majority of the time; the UK has gone to war when it wanted; hasn't had to take the Euro; hasn't had to accept Schengen.

The EU has brought about some great things. So what's the issue.

You can be independent AND co-operative.

Thanks.   Some people want a total independence and not to be in the EU. 

does anyone know, has Change UK come out as explicitly unionist?

i saw somewhere that they urged unionists to vote for the lib dems but that is not the same thing. but that doesn't rule them out being happy to see snp secure additional pro-eu seats.  i am just curious if there would ever be a uk  party so pro eu it would rather have snp shut out one of the brexit parties. not that change uk of itself is important.

One thing I think which may well happen tomorrow is Change UK will have a terrible result on Sunday.

I'm thinking at the very most across the UK they'll get about 5%, and in Scotland, well UKIP may well pip them, it'll be that bad a night for them!