The Brexit Thread - Page 106 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

No that is considered revenue of the UK not any region. But at the moment it does not make much difference...

North Sea Revenue: 1998-99 to 2017-18

00539518.gif

This is quite a good summary of our situation from what I can see.

https://theferret.scot/scotland-uk-country-export-import/

When looking at oil and gas it's important to differentiate between revenue and the actual value of the oil. Westminster don't want to hold on to Scotland because of oil revenues. Even at its peak, oil revenues barely reached 2% of UK revenues. Still a massive amount of money but not make or break in UK terms. What is more important to Westminster is the value of that oil and the effect that losing that would have on the balance of trade deficit. That impact could be massive to the rUK economy and the value of the pound. This is what they fear most. 

When folk ask questions like "Why does Westminster want to hold onto Scotland when we are such subsidy junkies", this is the answer. But it's something which very difficult to explain to folk in terms that they will believe and understand.

In Scotland, any vote other than the SNP is a vote for English Nationalists who hate Scotland  

Any non SNP vote is a vote against Independence and an acceptance that England can decide our future - that's how it will be portrayed

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

In Scotland, any vote other than the SNP is a vote for English Nationalists who hate Scotland  

Any non SNP vote is a vote against Independence and an acceptance that England can decide our future - that's how it will be portrayed

Including Greens?

25 minutes ago, phart said:

you got any workings to why you think that?

A few folk who i know who work for the snp have gave that indication, it may be completely wrong  personally i just dont see the greens gain traction in first preference votes and thats my gut feeling, greens will take just enough of the snp to save them getting 3 seats and will end up not getting a seat

39 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Current projection has snp on two seats, brexit, lab,lib and torys on one,, the greens are a wasted vote

There's an outside chance that the SNP could pick up four seats if they poll more than 40% - all depends on how the other votes split.

17 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Narrow mind.   What about thinking about the UK as a whole when you vote? 

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

There's an outside chance that the SNP could pick up four seats if they poll more than 40% - all depends on how the other votes split.

Looking at legitimate polling conducted so far the snp average around 38% the greens are at 7% they will need 13-14% to gain a seat, it aint gonna happen, the snp coulud end up with 2 seats 

14 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

A few folk who i know who work for the snp have gave that indication, it may be completely wrong  personally i just dont see the greens gain traction in first preference votes and thats my gut feeling, greens will take just enough of the snp to save them getting 3 seats and will end up not getting a seat

A repeat of 2014 then.

108,000 wasted Green votes. SNP limited to two seats and UKIP/Brexit take the final seat.

43 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

When looking at oil and gas it's important to differentiate between revenue and the actual value of the oil. Westminster don't want to hold on to Scotland because of oil revenues. Even at its peak, oil revenues barely reached 2% of UK revenues. Still a massive amount of money but not make or break in UK terms. What is more important to Westminster is the value of that oil and the effect that losing that would have on the balance of trade deficit. That impact could be massive to the rUK economy and the value of the pound. This is what they fear most. 

When folk ask questions like "Why does Westminster want to hold onto Scotland when we are such subsidy junkies", this is the answer. But it's something which very difficult to explain to folk in terms that they will believe and understand.

So what is missing? And how much is it worth every year. I must admit I am surprised the SNP have not extracted all this data and spelt it our clearly if it means we would be generating large trade surpluses every year... should take a lesson from wings and get it all laid out a wee book style thing.

Edited by thplinth

59 minutes ago, aaid said:

Including Greens?

Yes - you are splitting the remain vote ergo a vote for Farage

25 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Looking at legitimate polling conducted so far the snp average around 38% the greens are at 7% they will need 13-14% to gain a seat, it aint gonna happen, the snp coulud end up with 2 seats 

I think you're referring to the Panelbase poll that was out earlier this week, which would give the SNP 2, Lab, Brexit, Tory, Lib Dem all getting 1.

However, it is very tight for the last two seats.  If the SNP were to get 41% rather than 38%, they'd knock out the Lib Dems for the last seat, if they got to 45% - then they could knock out the Tories for the second last one as well.

There's another poll this week from YouGov which has a Scottish sub-sample - whihc you would not normally pay attention to but its a weighted sample of 796 so probably worth paying attention to - a "full" Scotland only poll would typically have about 100 respondents.

That has the SNP on 38%, Brexit on 20%, Greens on 11%, Lab and Con both 10%

That would give the SNP 3 seats with Brexit, Greens and Labour one only - Labour have a very narrow lead over the Tories and would pick up the last seat.

The reality is that we probably won't be able to predict with any certainty the results and will need to wait until Sunday for the results.

It'll be interesting to see how the Brexit party fares compared to the polls, they've come from nowhere and so there's no benchmark from previous elections to compare against.

31 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Rumour May is resigning tonight. Unconfirmed. 

Brexit is a monster who has chewed up all in its path, tory, labour and to a extent the snp although the unity of the party has faired them well, what a bloody mess and boris at the helm willonly help the independence cause

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes - you are splitting the remain vote ergo a vote for Farage

That's a real stretch - I think the Greens will pick up a seat - not at the expense of the SNP but at the expense of one of the Unionist parties.