The Brexit Thread - Page 90 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

7 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

What that Brexit means Brexit? 

49 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Theresa May is really fucking hopeless at interviews

She has absolutely no sincerity and all sound bites

May "I am trying to ensure the UK leaves the EU in an orderly fashion and have asked for an extension till the end of June"

Kuenssberg - "But the date of the extension is in the gift of the EU. What happens if they demand a longer extension"

May "I am trying to ensure the UK leaves the EU in an orderly fashion at the end of June"

All she needed to say was that she wasnt going to get into hypotheticals - that easy and she couldnt do it because she has absolutely no gile of her own

Twice in that interview. A makeshift conserative party leader, a fall guy(women), for the utter shits that havn't got the principles , belief or guts to get her to fuck.

Just saying, lets make some plan, where it's best of three. We've all had a vote, seen where it's went, older and wiser. Let's make it best of three. So proposal is another max 2 referendums.. If we vote for Brexit again we're oot. If we vote not to go we have another binding vote.  Easy. I am available for dispute resolution on an hourly basis.

Edited by Eisegerwind

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

7. THE SNP HAS NO IDEA WHAT IT’S DOING

To be brutally frank, readers, it’s this site’s opinion that the SNP’s current position on Brexit – in favour of a “People’s Vote”, although nobody agrees on what that means – is an accidental one that Nicola Sturgeon got bounced into on the Andrew Marr show and hasn’t been able to find a face-saving way to back out of.

On top of that it’s pretty plain to us by now that it hasn’t got a clue how to move forward on independence either. We’ve noted previously that the legal grey area over whether Holyrood has the power to hold a referendum without Westminster approval should have been resolved years ago – being set in motion, with full justification and no significant downsides, the day Theresa May said “now is not the time”.

Had that happened it would have been settled one way or the other by now, and either outcome would have offered the SNP a big political gain – either the power to hold referendums whenever it liked, or undeniable proof that Scotland was a colonial vassal of the UK and devolution a sham, and that the only way to take control of our own destinies was to do it properly.

Instead, the gaping hole in strategy over BOTH of the big constitutional issues of the day – a policy amounting to sitting on its backside and waiting to react to events controlled elsewhere – has led the party into a great big sticky swamp that it has no easy way to escape unless the UK government throws it a lifebelt by crashing out of the EU in flames.

Its own membership and a lot of its MPs and MSPs would be beside themselves with anger if the SNP somehow saved England from itself and averted a hard or no-deal Brexit, destroying its own 2016 electoral mandate in the process and setting the cause of independence back for a decade at an absolute minimum.

Ironically, by being a decisive part of avoiding hard Brexit, the SNP would have proved that the UK worked and Scotland’s voice mattered.

Yet it’s perilously close to doing precisely that. It backed the Nick Boles proposal for a “Common Market 2.0” super-soft Brexit which was only narrowly defeated by a few hardline Labour rebels earlier this month, and if Change UK (the new name for The Independent Group) could be persuaded to support it – and we can’t fathom why they didn’t last time, since as far as we can tell it’s what they actually want – then it could be brought back to Parliament and passed.

The SNP’s mandate and argument for a second independence referendum, and the vote of the Scottish Parliament to hold one, would become null and void. The party would suffer a crushing double blow to its vote – both from fundamentalists for ineptly blowing the greatest chance at independence we’re likely to see in our lifetimes, and from the third of SNP voters who voted Leave, deserted the party in 2017 as a result and would stay away for good this time.

Any chance of a pro-indy majority at Holyrood in 2021 (which is already on a knife-edge) would completely evaporate. We all might as well just pack up and go home.

You ready to admit NS is a strategically headless chicken at this point?

Honestly if I had been allowed to lock every SNP politician in my cellar since the LEAVE vote, they'd be in far better shape to achieve independence than they are now.

Instead we have this boak inducing shite. Just shows how utterly lost she is IMHO.

_106216995_selfie.jpg

Edited by thplinth

What's surprising is that there seems to be no specifically Scottish dimension to what the SNP are up to at Westminster. I mean, Blackford calls for a 2nd referendum, but that (as a solution) is no different from what the LibDems, Greens etc are calling for. He gets to call it at PMQ, and gets some superficial kudos for doing so while Corbyn talks about something else. But there seems to be no attempt at anything else, like leveraging another referendum in return for supporting a deal, or having '"stay in EU, even if other parts of UK leave" on the referendum. Or even abstain from all Brexit business as long as the UK does not respect the "near as federalism" "equal partners" promise of 2014. Imagine if all those votes, people would be shaking their heads of the abstentions saying "if only..." or "why don't you...?" and every time they could get their own agenda to the fore. Ok those may be unlikely to realistic but it would at least keep 'eyes on the prize'.  

I get that the SNP have had to be seen as accepting that we voted No in 2014

I get that the SNP have had to wait for the "material change in circumstances"

I get that the SNP have had to try and win over "soft No/undecided" voters at the expense of those already won over

I get that the SNP have had to try and be seen as a responsible party and not reckless

And i get that when Sturgeon tried to conflate the EU referendum with another Independence referendum it bit her, and us, in the arse which has exaggerated all of the above and would make her wary

However

There has to come a point when the SNP say fuck that and change course because no matter what they have done since 2014 the Unionists and their media have tried to portray the opposite of the above daily

Unless they are willing to humiliate themselves further to try and win more votes they have to accept;

Brexit belongs to England and England wants the Union

Westminster will never compromise with the devolved parliaments

There will be no second EU referendum (there has to be a caveat on this as May has backtracked on every other one of her promises)

We will be leaving the EU on far worse terms than we have now with May's shitty deal

Consider some underhand deal with Westminster in return for a Section 30 order

I guess we can give them till the conference in a few weeks but after that things have to change

She wont be deaf to the criticism

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

You ready to admit NS is a strategically headless chicken at this point?

Honestly if I had been allowed to lock every SNP politician in my cellar since the LEAVE vote, they'd be in far better shape to achieve independence than they are now.

Instead we have this boak inducing shite. Just shows how utterly lost she is IMHO.

_106216995_selfie.jpg

There's an excellent post in the Wings' comments as well to the effect of - why is she prancing around London telling them that Scotland's Remain vote needs to be respected while they should look to overturn their own Leave one.

It's a very good point.  It's starting to look a wee bit like the SNP are enjoying too much being the dominant political force in Scotland at both Scottish AND UK level.

Hopefully I'm wrong and all the "In Nicola we trust... she's got a plan up her sleeve you know" folks are right.  Don't see much to reassure me so far though.

23 minutes ago, daviebee said:

There's an excellent post in the Wings' comments as well to the effect of - why is she prancing around London telling them that Scotland's Remain vote needs to be respected while they should look to overturn their own Leave one.

It's a very good point.  It's starting to look a wee bit like the SNP are enjoying too much being the dominant political force in Scotland at both Scottish AND UK level.

Hopefully I'm wrong and all the "In Nicola we trust... she's got a plan up her sleeve you know" folks are right.  Don't see much to reassure me so far though.

Lead us dont leave us ?

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Glad you mentioned the comments beneath the Wings article. Wow I was surprised how many comments there were and how overwhelmingly negative they are (and not about the article).

Wullie says:

The anti SNP comments on what is a pro independence site are starting to turn from a trickle to a flood.

Nicola Sturgeon and her inner circle have slowly are destroying much of the goodwill that was shown by people supporting independence towards the SNP.

It is one thing to be canny but quite another to totally inertial to the cause of independence.

Gender alignment for school kids, parking on pavements, fines for littering whilst playing the Westminster game seems to be the order of the day.

No fire, no vision, and at war with Alex Salmond, the SNP high command now appears very much out of touch.

The UK is in chaos and what are we doing. Little it seems.

The current SNP heirarchy do not have a monopoly on strategy. They need to engage.

So c’mon Nicola. You have an inner circle which is now in a different orbit from the rank and file. You do not have a monopoly, nor is your star chamber as all powerfull as you may think.

Before any chance of indyref2 never mind winning it we need to see hard BREXIT and a new much better leader(ship) of the SNP. In short we are years away at best.

I don't think many people will change their minds on independence. Brexit will change a few from YES to NO and a few the other way. But the numbers will be relatively small and pretty much balance each other out. Changes in demographics is what will deliver independence. The young will decide when the time is right. It's now all about timing and "now is not the time". ...........Not Yet.

13 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So why did they kick him out then?

Don't know. Possibly the same reason that Labour have kicked folk out?

Although, having now read Mr Bongo's link, he says he wasn't in the SNP. So I am a wee bit confused now.:unsure:

I am almost certain GB was in the SNP

I know i try and stay away from conspiracy theories but by him denying he was in the SNP dilutes the hoo ha about the ludicrous anti semitic allegations (Believe he is part Jewish too) and also the supposed suspension 

He may have actively done this to not give the Yoons ammunition

He has done a lot of work for the Independence cause as you can see from his blog