The Brexit Thread - Page 89 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

44 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A question of Deal or No Deal is somewhat out of the UK government's hands now anyway. They are relying on extensions to avoid No Deal as the Tories will not eradicate their red lines to agree a deal with Labour. Rumours coming out of Europe are that France and Belgium and maybe other country's governments are not in favour of a long extension. At present No Deal exit is now becoming a warm favourite.

As much as the EU dont want a No Deal (They really really dont) i would love it if they said no more extensions and you leave this week

It wont happen but i would love it like Keegan

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

As much as the EU dont want a No Deal (They really really dont) i would love it if they said no more extensions and you leave this week

It wont happen but i would love it like Keegan

Well if countries veto a further extension as is being suggested then the EU will have no choice as they need unaminous agreement to an extension.

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well if countries veto a further extension as is being suggested then the EU will have no choice as they need unaminous agreement to an extension.

The revoke article 50 card is still available to be played. A bit like the joker card on It's a Knockout.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The veto thing is a bit of a red herring in this case with the seriousness of No deal consequences 

Peter Oborne says he was wrong (albeit one of the main reasons is being a staunch Unionist)

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/brexiteer-divulges-reasons-behind-change-heart/

Edited by Ally Bongo

The one to three extra clicks it takes to access any website from the EU alone makes BREXIT theoretically worth it. I now VPN from Japan or some other haven... bliss compared to the utter wankdom of EU cyberlife. FUCK the EU. No really... fuck them.

They're saying that May has not been offering to shift red lines at all, just pointing to the small print and trying to convince Labour that her deal, though still a 'turd', has bits in it that are better than they'd thought.

It's very hard to have any sympathy with her, if it all goes horribly wrong; we are nearly three years into this, we have about three days to the cliff edgs, and she is still seemingly refusing to compromise. 

Edited by exile

30 minutes ago, exile said:

They're saying that May has not been offering to shift red lines at all, just pointing to the small print and trying to convince Labour that her deal, though still a 'turd', has bits in it that are better than they'd thought.

It's very hard to have any sympathy with her, if it all goes horribly wrong; we are nearly three years into this, we have about three days to the cliff edgs, and she is still seemingly refusing to compromise. 

I find it hard to get my head round anybody even considering having sympathy for her. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I find it hard to get my head round anybody even considering having sympathy for her. 

Media brainwashing helps

Had a conversation today with an associate in the fish processing sector today, the new uk fisheries/agriculture minister was up for a meeting with the sector and local politicians last week, he was saying the local tory mp and list seat msp were giving the minister a right earfull regarding access to labor, one prominent fisherman/businessman gave him a hard time also, stating that there wasn’t a tory policy on immigration post brexit and that the craziest part is that the snp have, as a result it is now making him reconsider his unionist stance 😳 i cant emphasise how much of a unionist this lad is. 

I have also heard through the grape vine out local tory MP will not stand again due to being let down by his own party, 

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I have also heard through the grape vine out local tory MP will not stand again due to being let down by his own party, 

Is that Duguid?  WTF did he think was going to happen.

35 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

1 From a purely English Unionist point of view he is completely right 

2 Continually saying a "UK" vote conveniently ignores the democratic deficit of the "UK"

3 He does not address or seem to bother about every consituency in Scotland voting remain

4 Yes Scotland voted to remain in the "UK" and (as he mentions in the video about respecting referendum results) we have - we are still part of the UK.

If a large part of the Better Together campaign was not about retaining EU membership we would have to suck it up - but it was - and as seen in the demographics it was the EU Nationals/Non Scots that got No over the line

5 His reasoning suggests that Scotland has every right to hold a second referendum (as we have respected the first and things have changed) but he never expanded on "our" circumstances (see 2)

6 I totally agree England should get the brexit it voted for but the Union should end at that point, unless we bend the knee and decide to stick with them again

7 There should be no second referendum (unless Scotland's voice is not ignored again which it will) but i would like to see it happen so that Independence comes as quick as a no deal brexit because Leave will win again

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Is that Duguid?  WTF did he think was going to happen.

Aye mr duguid, TBH he’s actually not a “bad tory” seems genuine enough and was once a nationalist, he never expected to win his seat so he was totally unprepared, i have heard whispers on his replacement and if true, wingsover scotland could have a field day with a bit of digging  

Strange days. May off to Brussels seeking some sort of extension for Brexit. At the mercy of the 27 other countries.

I see Sturgeon pointing out that 12 of the 27 have populations smaller than or similar in size to Scotland’s

Or put another way, places like Luxembourg have more say over what happens to us because of Brexit, than Holyrood

6 minutes ago, exile said:

Strange days. May off to Brussels seeking some sort of extension for Brexit. At the mercy of the 27 other countries.

I see Sturgeon pointing out that 12 of the 27 have populations smaller than or similar in size to Scotland’s

Or put another way, places like Luxembourg have more say over what happens to us because of Brexit, than Holyrood

Mike Russell says that 9 of the 27 have smaller populations that Scotland.   No doubt Tom Gordon is typing an article right now about this massive split at the heart of the SNP.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Mike Russell says that 9 of the 27 have smaller populations that Scotland.   No doubt Tom Gordon is typing an article right now about this massive split at the heart of the SNP.

:-))

THe split must lie in the detail - "smaller than or similar size"

3 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

So is this the phoney war before the real civil war erupts? 

I cannae keep up with all this infighting 

We should look out for SNP members splitting to form a The Independent Independence Group, aka Change UK (By Breaking Up Britain from Within) Party. 

Theresa May is really fucking hopeless at interviews

She has absolutely no sincerity and all sound bites

May "I am trying to ensure the UK leaves the EU in an orderly fashion and have asked for an extension till the end of June"

Kuenssberg - "But the date of the extension is in the gift of the EU. What happens if they demand a longer extension"

May "I am trying to ensure the UK leaves the EU in an orderly fashion at the end of June"

All she needed to say was that she wasnt going to get into hypotheticals - that easy and she couldnt do it because she has absolutely no gile of her own

35 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Theresa May is really fucking hopeless at interviews

She has absolutely no sincerity and all sound bites

May "I am trying to ensure the UK leaves the EU in an orderly fashion and have asked for an extension till the end of June"

Kuenssberg - "But the date of the extension is in the gift of the EU. What happens if they demand a longer extension"

May "I am trying to ensure the UK leaves the EU in an orderly fashion at the end of June"

All she needed to say was that she wasnt going to get into hypotheticals - that easy and she couldnt do it because she has absolutely no gile of her own

Yeah, but the silence is deafening from anyone else.Nobody wants to touch this shit  with the end of someone else's shitty stick. She has made her position clear, twice..

Edited by Eisegerwind

12 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, but the silence is deafening from anyone else.Nobody wants to touch this shit  with the end of someone else's shitty stick. She has made her position clear, twice..

What that Brexit means Brexit?