The Brexit Thread - Page 84 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I cannot see anything changing. The deadlock will continue and the sensible thing for May to do now is quit and call a General Election.

A new government with fresh Brexit ideas and perhaps a majority to vote a bill through and Brexit could be sorted immediately unlike the situation we have at the moment.

That'd be bad for Independence.

A Corbryn-led government delivering a Brexit which keeps the UK in a customs union with the EU would lead to many potential Yes' sticking with No.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

That'd be bad for Independence.

A Corbryn-led government delivering a Brexit which keeps the UK in a customs union with the EU would lead to many potential Yes' sticking with No.

If that happened it may well might but I have my doubts there would be a stampede to Vote Labour following all the anti-Semetic stuff. There is the other alternative of Tories staying in power and having a No Deal Brexit which would aid independence case but hit us in the pockets hard before any indyref even takes place.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If that happened it may well might but I have my doubts there would be a stampede to Vote Labour following all the anti-Semetic stuff. There is the other alternative of Tories staying in power and having a No Deal Brexit which would aid independence case but hit us in the pockets hard before any indyref even takes place.

Labour are still behind in the polls, so it looks as though it’ll be a hung parliament.

Then again anything can happen when a GE is called.

Splits in the two main parties and Brexit revenge from the voters (both sides) could easily play their part. 

2 minutes ago, antidote said:

Labour are still behind in the polls, so it looks as though it’ll be a hung parliament.

Splits in the two main parties and Brexit revenge from the voters (both sides) could easily play their part. 

Cameron brought about this Brexit vote to extinguish the threat of UKIP. Evidence so far would say if anything it will fuel UKIP if anything.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

following all the anti-Semetic stuff.

Can you elaborate as to what "all the anti-Semetic stuff" is? Other than lies and massive exagerations.

10 minutes ago, antidote said:

They're behind in some and ahead in some. It's pretty much neck and neck in them all though. The misconception is that YouGov poll most often and always have the Tories ahead due to their weightings.

Labour also consistently gain in polls leading up to GE's, when the media must report fairly. Pretty telling, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

There is more chance of Farage forming a new Government than Corbyn

Seriously

There is more chance of pigs flying than you putting forward an independent, well-reasoned argument.

Edit: Seriously.

Edited by Parklife

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Can you elaborate as to what "all the anti-Semetic stuff" is? Other than lies and massive exagerations.

They're behind in some and ahead in some. It's pretty much neck and neck in them all though. The misconception is that YouGov poll most often and always have the Tories ahead due to their weightings.

Labour also consistently gain in polls leading up to GE's, when the media must report fairly. Pretty telling, isn't it?

You are barking up the wrong tree Parklife. The anti-semetic stuff in the press has caused great damage to Labour and caused divisions within - that cannot be denied. If I were living in England I'd defo be voting Labour though. Point that cannot be denied is the problems that lie within for Labour in terms of bad press which lots of gullible people buy into as we saw in 2014.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Cameron brought about this Brexit vote to extinguish the threat of UKIP. Evidence so far would say if anything it will fuel UKIP if anything.

Correct and votes would mostly come from tory supporters, but they’d be a few from labour too. 

On another note; I see billy boy Mitchell is doing a gig with his flute band at the brexit March in London today. 

I suppose a few hundred of an audience would be a rise on the usual crowd he plays for in Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are barking up the wrong tree Parklife. The anti-semetic stuff in the press has caused great damage to Labour and caused divisions within - that cannot be denied. If I were living in England I'd defo be voting Labour though. Point that cannot be denied is the problems that lie within for Labour in terms of bad press which lots of gullible people buy into as we saw in 2014.

Yeah, I don't deny the smear campaign on JC and Labour has cost them votes.

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, I don't deny the smear campaign on JC and Labour has cost them votes.

Not wanting to get involved in this too much, but things like this do not help. 

“Three Labour activists arrested by police over anti-Semitism”

https://mol.im/a/6862547

Yes I know it’s the daily malice. 

Edited by antidote

16 minutes ago, antidote said:

Not wanting to get involved in this too much, but things like this do not help. 

“Three Labour activists arrested by police over anti-Semitism”

https://mol.im/a/6862547

Yes I know it’s the daily malice. 

There's been a 2 year-long smear campaign on an entire party and it's leader and we have 3 arrests.

I am not denying there are anti-semites within the Labour Party, however it's undeniably been a massive smear to distract every cunt from the complete clusterfuck the Tories are making of Brexit.

Thick cunts actually think a guy with a proven track record of support for people of all faiths/races/countries is racist. I mean, come on to fuck :lol: 

What is apparent is that Both the Tories and Labour both have issues with factions within their ranks. 

Would a snap election now soothe the wounds within that is the question and looking from afar i can see the constituencies looking at voting patterns and cutting accordingly.

In Scotland we may see a rise in UKIP but that may dilute the Unionist vote which could be a blessing for the SNP. 

Anyway the next week or 2 could get interesting in a "Escape from LA" way.  or the Hunger Games.. 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Is Ian Blackford not just a fantastic speaker? Top notch. 

He really seems to be growing into the role.   I thought Angus Robertson would be a hard act to follow but he's stepped right up. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

He really seems to be growing into the role.   I thought Angus Robertson would be a hard act to follow but he's stepped right up. 

New Tartan Army song :- "He's one of our own - Ian Blackford - he's one of our own". Nice bloke when Ive met him on TA trips.

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

He is a class act. Maybe that’s why May walks out when he rises to speak. 

19 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

New Tartan Army song :- "He's one of our own - Ian Blackford - he's one of our own". Nice bloke when Ive met him on TA trips.

I seem to remember that you were in my company when he was sitting next us outside a bar in Tbilisi.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

There's been a 2 year-long smear campaign on an entire party and it's leader and we have 3 arrests.

I am not denying there are anti-semites within the Labour Party, however it's undeniably been a massive smear to distract every cunt from the complete clusterfuck the Tories are making of Brexit.

Thick cunts actually think a guy with a proven track record of support for people of all faiths/races/countries is racist. I mean, come on to fuck :lol: 

That all might just be true but Corbyn is a caving weak cunt in the face of the smear bullies. 

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

I seem to remember that you were in my company when he was sitting next us outside a bar in Tbilisi.

I couldn't remember where it was we were chatting - remember chatting with you though = it was occasion where I was talking to Ian and somebody had pointed out he was an MP. I was touring round Scotland playing golf last year and went for lunch in Portree - SNP stall in the square - he was well liked by the constituency workers.

24 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Same versus NS leading Scotland to independence then. Corbyn has a chance. Nicola is a guaranteed NO2.

Opinium Westmonster sub samples

D21RSciW0AAhzvX.png

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Is Ian Blackford not just a fantastic speaker? Top notch. 

Not especially.  

He's not a patch on Angus Robertson who preceded him. 

Indeed, a lot of the SNP MP's aren't of a particularly high calibre in my opinion.

The huge increase in seats on the back of Indyref shifting Scottish politics meant that a lot of SNP were thrust into Westminster probably a lot quicker than we were ready for. Some real good quality there like Joanna Cherry, Philippa Whiteford and a few others, then you have stars for the future like Mhairi Black, but there's many others that are found wanting and that disappoints me to say.

A common criticism of their Labour predecessors was along the lines of 'monkey in a red rosette'. I think the same charge could be levelled at some of the SNP. 

Unfortunately, the loss of Angus Robertson, Alex Salmond, John Nicolson, Michelle Thomson, and the fact that Stewart Hosie has had to take a back seat - all means that the SNP at Westminster are simply not at the same level as we could do with them being.