The Brexit Thread - Page 78 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's not hypocrisy

It (could be) bad tactics

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Hardly hypocritical, she's been in favour of a people's vote since the get go.

I’m sure she’d be in favour of one if and when Scotland votes for independence.

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m sure she’d be in favour of one if and when Scotland votes for independence.

Unlike May she isnt scared of democracy

I very much doubt if Scotland votes for Independence and Westminster deliberately makes it difficult to engineer another vote to reverse the decision she wouldnt be all for it

My issue is that England voted for Brexit - The SNP should not be trying to reverse that

Secondly a people's vote wont resolve the democratic deficit - it will still be a vote determined on how England votes

English politicians tried to influence the Scottish vote in 2014 so there is no hypocrisy there either but i feel this is a dangerous gamble

It could work in her favour but the odds are it could backfire

For a start she has entrenched the majority of people in Scotland that voted leave when the way to win them over was to let them experience the clusterfuck of Brexit IMO

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

I very much doubt if Scotland votes for Independence and Westminster deliberately makes it difficult to engineer another vote to reverse the decision she would be all for it

My issue is that England voted for Brexit - The SNP should not be trying to reverse that

Secondly a people's vote wont resolve the democratic deficit - it will still be a vote determined on how England votes

English politicians tried to influence the Scottish vote in 2014 so there is no hypocrisy there either but i feel this is a dangerous gamble

For a start she has entrenched the majority of people in Scotland that voted leave when the way to win them over was to let them experience the clusterfuck of Brexit IMO

If and when Scotland vote for independence there will immediately be people trying to undermine the vote and it won’t take long before a people’s vote is called for, anyone associated with the SNP and independence should stay well clear of calls to overturn this vote, as you say it’s a gamble with few rewards but many negatives. 

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I very much doubt if Scotland votes for Independence and Westminster deliberately makes it difficult to engineer another vote to reverse the decision she wouldnt be all for it

The SNP have been trying to get special status for Scotland, like Northern Ireland is basically being offered, since the brexit vote was announced. 

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If and when Scotland vote for independence there will immediately be people trying to undermine the vote and it won’t take long before a people’s vote is called for, anyone associated with the SNP and independence should stay well clear of calls to overturn this vote, as you say it’s a gamble with few rewards but many negatives. 

👍🏻

I think the "people's vote"  is problematic and would need to be carefully argued (eg to allow Scotland's choice to be honoured)  but those subtleties unlikely to survive the cut and thrust of political debate. 

I think more energy could be/have been put into securing a softest Brexit that honours the ref result (as far as it was ever defined) then take things from there. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Been a strange day...

IMG_4378.thumb.jpg.f6823c33c7e3aebd777ea

IMG_20190323_175933.thumb.jpg.84cd2822a7

As i said - it was a massive mistake IMO and she fucking doubled down

WTF is she thinking about ?

Aside from anything else these fuckers will stab Independence in the back at the first chance regardless of Brexit

Meanwhile

🚨BREAKING: A full blown cabinet coup is under way tonight to remove Theresa May as prime minister 🚨

10:15 PM - 23 Mar 2019

This is quite interesting, from FT - A no-deal Brexit remains highly likely

It reminds us of scrutinising the motives of the players - each wishes to avoid blame for the mess.

Theresa May may be the hardest to guess in terms of what she really wants. She seems fixated on delivering only 'her' Brexit. A no-deal Brexit would not be so good but better (for her, as long as she delivered it) than someone else's Brexit (imagine any compromise involving Labour - would be seen as Labour saving the day and eclipsing her).

In fact the idea she is just fixated on her own Brexit as the only outcome (her only political mission) makes most sense when you consider her threat that the stated alternatives are no-deal Brexit or no Brexit. That always seemed a puzzling threat as anyone could say "well why not just no Brexit then?" The answer being that she has no intention of either coming to pass. The threat works (only) as far as each extreme fears the opposite extreme....  

To those of us whose work depends a lot on the EU and who have much loved European friends and neighbours who are considering leaving the country after Brexit, we are glad that the FM has put her head above the parapet

Quite a lot of us (particularly younger voters) believe in Scotland but also to believe in Europe too.

Oh and Jim Sillars should come to a meeting of young SNP activists and try and flog his stupid pro-Brexit ideas. Yesterday's man.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:53 PM, Toepoke said:

Been a strange day...

IMG_4378.thumb.jpg.f6823c33c7e3aebd777ea

IMG_20190323_175933.thumb.jpg.84cd2822a7

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/03/please-cancel-your-subscriptions/

From what I understand NS could easily have said she was in favour of a 2nd referendum whilst totally distancing herself from all the Blairite war mongering wanks.

What the fuck is she thinking about? Her judgement is truly appalling.

At the end of the day a hard brexit will be the thing that most optimizes the chance of the Scottish public voting YES in any Indyref2. Any smart & ruthless leader would be letting that happen instead of trying to avert it by teaming up with these utter bawbags. If NS and the Blairite wanks are successful what she will have achieved is screwing indyref2. She is an absolute idiot with zero strategic vision of how to achieve the goal. 

Edited by thplinth