The Brexit Thread - Page 73 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

36 minutes ago, neilser said:

Will Self giving Mark Francois a death stare after the tubby xenophobe takes exception to the suggestion that racists and anti semites tend to be a wee bit Brexity

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-47497183/brexit-will-self-and-mark-francois-on-racists-and-anti-semites

I watched it the whole program and there was a lot more than just this, Will Self was absolutely destroying him.

The thing that amazes me with the Tories is that just when you think you've seen the most odious one ever, another pops up and Francois has been top of my dartboard list for the last couple of months.   You can tell he's loving his 15 minutes of fame and is strutting along like he owns the place.   Typical Napoleon complex, he'd probably resent that being so British, mind you, Francois, that's a bit of a Johnny Foreigner name.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I watched it the whole program and there was a lot more than just this, Will Self was absolutely destroying him.

The thing that amazes me with the Tories is that just when you think you've seen the most odious one ever, another pops up and Francois has been top of my dartboard list for the last couple of months.   You can tell he's loving his 15 minutes of fame and is strutting along like he owns the place.   Typical Napoleon complex, he'd probably resent that being so British, mind you, Francois, that's a bit of a Johnny Foreigner name.

He and Andrew Bridgen are locked together at the top of the ‘Useless Fat Pea-brained Tory Bigot’ league table like Man City and Liverpool tussling it out for the Premier League. It’s an awesome sight - just when you think that one of them has it in the bag the other one comes storming back. To think that tens of thousands of voters thought that either of them was a more viable proposition as an MP than a helium balloon with a face scrawled on it in biro is remarkable in its own right. 

2 hours ago, neilser said:

Will Self giving Mark Francois a death stare after the tubby xenophobe takes exception to the suggestion that racists and anti semites tend to be a wee bit Brexity

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-47497183/brexit-will-self-and-mark-francois-on-racists-and-anti-semites

Your 'tubby xenophobe' is bang on the money in that clip.

I so hope they have a 'peoples vote' so I can watch the people shove it up his arsehole yet again.

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I suppose some racists and anti semites voted remain ?

"What I said was every racist and anti semite in the country voted for BREXIT... probably..."

Sorry but he can fuck off and can so can anyone else who comes out with pish like this. 

We are getting to the point where dialogue is pointless.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

It's Will Self wasn't he caught mainlining heroin on the Tories plane or soemthing?

He certainly looks like he is on something in that clip.

edit: Fuxsake phart that was some retrieval...

He gained negative publicity in 1997 when he was sent to cover the election campaign of John Major and was caught by a rival journalist using heroin on the Prime Minister's jet, and was fired as a result.[30] At the time, he argued "I'm a hack who gets hired because I do drugs".[36] He joined the Times as a columnist in 1997.[1] In 1999 he left Times to join the Independent on Sunday,[1] which he left in 2002 for the Evening Standard.[1]

Edited by thplinth

23 minutes ago, thplinth said:

He gained negative publicity in 1997 when he was sent to cover the election campaign of John Major and was caught by a rival journalist using heroin on the Prime Minister's jet, and was fired as a result.[30] At the time, he argued "I'm a hack who gets hired because I do drugs".[36] He joined the Times as a columnist in 1997.[1] In 1999 he left Times to join the Independent on Sunday,[1] which he left in 2002 for the Evening Standard.[1]

Nearly right... you are a hack who gets hired because you trot out every load of pish the BBC likes to hear... The fact you are apparently a junkie might have some connection to this but who knows except you.

Doing heroin (and getting caught, oh would like to know how) on the PM's plane is not a casual acquaintance with drugs in your youth. Astonishing this guy is on TV so much. Oh no wait its not.

Edited by thplinth

To be fair to Will Self he doesn’t advocate heroin addiction as a lifestyle choice and he’s done a lot with his life since those days . Also John Crace, who does the politics  sketch in the Guardian, has a similar back story and has likewise achieved a lot. Play the ball, not the man...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2000/jun/11/fiction.willself

Edited by neilser

7 minutes ago, neilser said:

To be fair to Will Self he doesn’t advocate heroin addiction as a lifestyle choice and he’s done a lot with his life since those days . Also John Crace, who does the politics  sketch in the Guardian, has a similar back story and has likewise achieved a lot. Play the ball, not the man...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2000/jun/11/fiction.willself

You mean like saying every single racist and anti semite in the entire country comes solely from the population of Leave voters? Was it not you who quoted this pish and thought it was ace? Maybe self screen if that is your view.

Why should I be all marquess of queensbury rules while junkie cunts like this throw out handfuls of their own dung. Fuck the BBC and fuck Will Self.

(Sorry my dinner is late and I may need a marathon bar.)

14 minutes ago, neilser said:

We're discussing his comment that voting for brexit is the delineating line for anti-semites and racists. So did the same thing by going isn't he just that guy that does heroin.

A non-partisan would condemn both as baseless, a partisan would ignore the one he agreed with while condemning the one he didn't.

Or that's my opinion anyway, i'd not put too much stock in it :)

I'd be astonished if the Leave campaign ever thought they were in danger of losing the votes of the racist and anti-Semitic demographic - it's such an obvious core constituency that the idea would scarcely need to be articulated. The only thing that would astonish me more is if Remain spent any time looking at a strategy to court that section of the electorate. They were Leavers whether Leave wanted them or not.

If Francois was a cleverer politician he'd accept that Leave cornered the vast majority of that market, like it or not, and then try to make a case to the effect that that wasn't who they were courting. His problem is that he'd struggle to make a coherent case so he walked into a trap e.g.:

`All penguins are birds`

`How dare you say that all birds are penguins`

It`s like the Seed of the Gael fannies and the Independence Referendum - they were obviously going to  vote Yes but it doesn't mean that the campaign ever courted them. Francois ` difficulty is that racism was a dog whistle element of the Leave campaign.

Edited by neilser

6 minutes ago, neilser said:

`All penguins are birds`

`How dare you say that all birds are penguins`

It`s like the Seed of the Gael fannies and the Independence Referendum - they were obviously going to  vote Yes but it doesn't mean that the campaign ever courted them. Francois ` difficulty is that racism was a dog whistle element of the Leave campaign.

We're not discussing the taxonomy of birds which is governed by biology. We're talking about a political decision in which one side has all the racists and anti-semites and the other has none.

Leaving us with the ridiculous thought that if you voted remain you can't be anti-semitic or racist cause if you were you'd have voted Leave.

Not a convincing bit of sophistry to be honest.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

We're not discussing the taxonomy of birds which is governed by biology. We're talking about a political decision in which one side has all the racists and anti-semites and the other has none.

Leaving us with the ridiculous thought that if you voted remain you can't be anti-semitic or racist cause if you were you'd have voted Leave.

Not a convincing bit of sophistry to be honest.

Agreed we’re not taking about birds but it illustrates Francois’ ineptitude when it comes to articulating his position. Misrepresenting what your opponent said 10 seconds previously rather than engaging on the issue isn’t the mark of a expert debater. 

As I said the obvious answer is that the Leave campaign didn’t use latent racism as a proposition to vote for Leave. The problem is that it did.

My mate has his own fish processing company, he had fergus ewing in past last week, and to say everyone is in a panic over a no deal is an understatement,The EUs asking for every health certificate to be signed by an EHO for every shipment, there’s only 2 between Fraserburgh and Peterhead, there is a real possibility of no shipment at all from the uk if the guillotine comes crashing down

15 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My mate has his own fish processing company, he had fergus ewing in past last week, and to say everyone is in a panic over a no deal is an understatement,The EUs asking for every health certificate to be signed by an EHO for every shipment, there’s only 2 between Fraserburgh and Peterhead, there is a real possibility of no shipment at all from the uk if the guillotine comes crashing down

Sounds like the west coast folk are going to struggle to get their live catches to market in time too.

13 hours ago, neilser said:

Agreed we’re not taking about birds but it illustrates Francois’ ineptitude when it comes to articulating his position. Misrepresenting what your opponent said 10 seconds previously rather than engaging on the issue isn’t the mark of a expert debater. 

As I said the obvious answer is that the Leave campaign didn’t use latent racism as a proposition to vote for Leave. The problem is that it did.

I wasn't having a discussion about who was an expert debater. Or leaves dubious tactics.  Merely the veracity of said statement.Which was ludicrously self indulgent.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I sell fridges but that doesn't make me a fridge magnet.  Or the new singing laptop that is just out.  It's a Dell.  Sorry.  U canny ban me for that mods!!!

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

"CLUNK !!!"

Is that the sound of a penny dropping that I hear?

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Believe it or not the Westminster government is in a panic too.  

It’s all of Westminster’s making, they initially insisted on the backstop, now they want to change it once the eu agreed to it. 

Maybe the Buchans can help your friends out hampden. 

Edited by antidote

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

"CLUNK !!!"

We can all buy our own fish. Whats the problem? And drink our own whisky. There is more than enough fish and whisky to keep us all healthy for years. Scotland and kippers forever. Cmon the dons.

10 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

We can all buy our own fish. Whats the problem? And drink our own whisky. There is more than enough fish and whisky to keep us all healthy for years. Scotland and kippers forever. Cmon the dons.

U kippers?

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

"CLUNK !!!"

Contrary to the msm peddling that all fishermen are pro brexit, it is not the case, processors have been uneasy about it from the onset and inshore and west coast lads are definitely against it. 

11 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

What's Bertie Armstrong got to say about it then?